How far ahead...

How far ahead...

Postby Heba » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 am

...can you bake cookies/cakes and freeze them without risking drying out or loss of quality?

(In other words...when can I start baking for Christmas...)
Heba

Re: How far ahead...

Postby Maelyn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 am

I know my mom used to make dough months in advance and freeze it in wax paper and zip locks. She'd make rolls and then just unroll and slice and bake. Not sure if that would help or not but might make it easier later.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby jane » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:09 pm

I've done a month ahead but never more. I'd worry about freezer burn or just an off taste. Besides if I baked them now, they'd NEVER be left alone till Xmas, by either me or my family!
jane

Postby Tammy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:09 am

I don't bake and freeze for Christmas, but I do mix dough similar to what Amy's mom did. In my case I make chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies, roll them into balls, freeze on cookie sheets, and then transfer to zip bags. It makes it easier to have homemade cookies without all the fuss when the schedule gets busy. They always taste great, and we sometimes keep them for several months until the last are gone.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby mobetsy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Tammy, that cookie dough would probably never make it to the oven in my household :D I do love raw dough...
mobetsy

Postby wanda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm

mobetsy wrote:Tammy, that cookie dough would probably never make it to the oven in my household :D I do love raw dough...

Ha! Same for me, Betsy!! I love most things raw....adore raw homemade biscuit dough. It used to drive my gram nuts!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Heba » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks, everyone! Think I'll wait a wee bit longer :). I love the idea of freezing rolls of cookie dough, but I don't have any of that kind of recipe. Oh actually, I bet I could freeze cutter cookie dough, too...ooh yes...that would work and would indeed make it easier nearer the time! I might do that.
Heba

Return to Garden of Eatin'