Re: Andrea's trip & Additional Donations

Postby wanda » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:22 pm

I had a brief chat with Andrea earlier today and we touched on the trip to see Holly amd it sounds incredibly successful. Holly and the kids were appreciative and by all accounts were so very nice. Holly's DH managed to make himself scarce and was never around. Possibly, he was working an extra shift - who knows. I'm looking forward to a full update from Andrea when she has time.

The point of this post is that Andrea has spent quite a bit out of pocket. I urged her to post a detailed listing so there's no question as to where the money went and, more importantly, in hopes that we can find it in ourselves to dig a little deeper. Times are difficult for everyone now, but I'm hopeful that we can find a little more. It's such a wonderful thing Andrea did and I would hate to see her generosity hurt her family.

Of course, I didn't think to save our chat, so Andrea will probably correct me.... It seems she said the overall cost ended up being around $1000 - food, rental car, hotel, etc. She and Art ended up purchasing a bread machine for Holly also. Seems she said donations from PnM were around $300, so I'm guessing she spent $700 out of pocket.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby erin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:50 pm

You have the amounts about right Wanda. That was what we discussed today too. The second hotel they stayed in was over 200 for the time they were there. I know she wanted to do this and I am sure she would have done it regardless of any assistance from anyway, but Wanda is right, she did come out of pocket a lot. However, on the upside. Holly is set up for a while. And that is what is most important.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Andrea040805 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:44 pm

you ladies are too sweet.

The only reason I mentioned how much we spent was to point out that Art, my usual tightwad husband, was so kind and generous. He went all over town trying to find a bread machine for Holly. Like me, she makes her own bread, but she doesnt have a bread maker to do the dough for her...which saves me a TON of time. He *finally* found one after the sixth store, and burst out laughing when he found it. He said all the people around him stopped and stared, LOL!!! She was so happy though...that alone made my day. :)

I do, however, want to break down how your generous donations were spent.

We collected 365.00 (right erin?)

197.00 was for hotel. We decided after we got there that this was the best idea. We picked a hotel near her house that was 74.99 per night that came with free hot breakfast. It was about 15.00 more than the cheapest place in town but we figured the free breakfast would actually save us money even though the room was more. I dont want you to think we were livin' high on the hog on your money. It was a careful decision. After taxes and fees, it was 197.00.

Our rental car was 150.00, roughly. The girl behind the counter was Dominican, and when she saw Art had a hispanic last name, she started doing the transaction in spanish. When she saw he was able to keep up, she upgraded us for free, LOL!!!

Groceries were 250.00 for our "big" shopping trip (for the freezer cooking) and about 45.00 for dinner foods the first night we were there. Art made dinner, and loved taking over the kitchen for a while.

Bread maker was 59.99...a pretty good deal! That was definately out of our pocket as a gift, however, as I didnt want you to think I was spending your money on things that werent completely necessary.

More in the next post...the subject box is acting funny...
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby Andrea040805 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Hotel for the first night we flew in was 75.00 This was another thing we paid out of pocket as we chose to not drive to Holly's town when we got into Columbus. We hadn't slept in 24 hours, and did not feel safe driving at all!!

Food in between trips, etc. was about 100.00, roughly. Not bad for four days.

Oh, I bought Holly some gorgeous roses for her kitchen too. I think they lifted her mood! I have a pic of them...but art has my camera.

When you add gas and long term parking (which was 60.00...omg! LOL!) We broke the 1000.00 mark, yes..but it was worth it. I appreciate you looking out for us, Wanda, and yes, its going to put us in a pinch, but I figure God sent us there, and He'll provide. I have never seen Art so mindlessly spend money...Erin, you know this to be true!!!! He had such fun going all out for them.

Just a little on the trip (and then I'll do a KMG post so that Holly can read it too) Holly is a doll, her kids are complete angels, I never met Dwayne, her house isnt nearly as bad as she seemed to think it was. We got some kitchen organizing done, and I was able to hold the baby long enough for her to organize her laundry room, so she was happy with that. Her freezer is completely stocked...I cooked for 12 hours on Saturday!

Thank you all for your generosity...I hope you have an idea now of what your money did for Holly. :)
Andrea040805

Postby Andrea040805 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:56 pm

I also wanted to add that I wouldnt have ever been able to go without Lisa's generosity. Lisa, we had smooth flights there and back, and never had to wait for the next flight. You picked great flights for us, and it worked out great! Thank you SO SO SO much for making the possible for Art and I. It was so great to have the ability to go help her out and just love on her for a couple of days.
Andrea040805

Postby wanda » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Andrea, I know you didn't mention the amount you spent with regret which is why I wanted to post here. You and Art did and spent because you wanted to, and I hope the cost to you can be lessened a bit. Gotta run...I should be packing!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Andrea040805 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:01 pm

thank you so much for thinking of us, Wanda. I appreciate your kindness.
Andrea040805

Postby Tina » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:17 am

I'm so happy to hear how successful the trip was. Was Art able to come up with recommendations regarding Jasmine? Did you get a chance to implement a chore chart? Did you give Jasmine and extra hug from all of us? :D

Again a big THANK YOU to you and Art for doing such a wonderful thing. God Bless you Both!!!
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Lora » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Erin, would you give us your email and address again so it's handy to send another donation. I want to see what Paypal charges me because even as a gift I get charged a fee since I don't have it come from my checking account. I'm not sure if I'll PP or snail mail. Thanks! OR maybe it should be Andrea's snail mail for those of us who go that route. Let us know!
ImageImage
Lora Mom to
Brandon 20 and Brittany 16
Lora

Postby erin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Lora wrote:Erin, would you give us your email and address again so it's handy to send another donation. I want to see what Paypal charges me because even as a gift I get charged a fee since I don't have it come from my checking account. I'm not sure if I'll PP or snail mail. Thanks! OR maybe it should be Andrea's snail mail for those of us who go that route. Let us know!

I would snailmail to her or you can paypal her directly as well. I was just doing it because I had the debit card, but I forgot, she does too.

aflamingo791@verizon.net
erin

Postby Andrea040805 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:45 am

I seem to be having trouble with my snail mail. I have had a couple issues with delivery so I would say if you want to send, paypal would be best. :)
Andrea040805

Postby erin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:59 pm

If you need to send snail mail you can send it to me and I will get it to Andrea

Erin Chieze
3088 B Privateer
Lemoore, CA 93245
erin

Postby Lora » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks for Andrea's email. I sent some more by PP. We might have to bump this again after Thanksgiving since it's pretty quiet around here.
ImageImage
Lora Mom to
Brandon 20 and Brittany 16
Lora

Postby Cheryl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Did you ever get my cash?
Cheryl

Postby Patti » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm

erin wrote:If you need to send snail mail you can send it to me and I will get it to Andrea

Erin Chieze
3088 B Privateer
Lemoore, CA 93245

some how - some way - I missed all this :( Not sure how.

Let me see what I can do. Things are a bit tight but I can prolly pull something together.
Patti

Location: down here on planet earth, where you break your back to save your shirt

Postby Andrea040805 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:40 am

you guys really are too sweet.

Cheryl, yes, I did! The night before we left. Thank you so much :)
Andrea040805

Return to Help for Hollie