Winding up the Scout year

Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, AWANA and others, crafts, projects, S.W.A.P.S., badges, patches and pins :)

Winding up the Scout year

Postby Linda » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

Who is still involved with Scouts - either as a leader/volunteer or as a parent?

My whole family is involved still.

Annabelle is just finishing up her first year of Daisies - she's loved it! Tonight is the second to last meeting before summer and they finish with an overnight June 1-2 - going to Build-A-Bear and then the zoo where they will sleep over and then to a Girl Scout camp for a council run Daisy Day before heading home. I'm not going - I have mixed feelings about that, to be honest. She'll do fine without me and I don't want to be a helicopter mum BUT I would have liked to have gone. They didn't end up needing me as a chaperone though. She's too young for resident camp and there isn't a GS day camp in our area but she and I are going to a Family Day at the resident camp where she'll get to sample some of the camp activities such as archery and horses.

Cathleen has just finished up her second year of Cadettes. I was her leader this year and...well, I think we might both have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been but she's 13, what can I say? I think she had a good year though - earnt Animal Helpers, Special Agent, Night Owl, First Aid, Netiquette, Woodworker and Eating for Beauty badges; did lock-ins and campouts, service projects and more. She wants to earn her Silver Award but is having trouble getting it off the ground - hopefully this summer. She is going to a week-long horse session at GS camp which she's very much looking forward to.

Simon is both a Girl Scout volunteer and an Assistant Scoutmaster (Boy Scouts) - he didn't lead a GS troop this year for a chance but helped out as needed on both the troop and service unit level including chairing the cake contest and auction which netted almost $1000 (which was nearly double the old record). There are some politics issues with the BSA troop and I don't think he's enjoyed it as much as in the past. He's still active in OA though and will be chaperoning the BSA troop for summer camp out of state.

DH is also active in both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. He's helped with Older Girl lock-ins (6th-12th grade) - he's our local astronomy and woodworking resource - and is always available to lend a hand where needed. He received his Appreciation pin (a GS adult award) this spring. Boy Scout wise, he's still nominally involved in the local troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster and will be going to summer camp with them but plans to step back afterwards. He's getting more involved at the district level as a roundtable commissioner and Friends of Scouting volunteer.

And where do I begin? I was the leader for the Cadette/Senior/Ambassador troop this year (15 girls 6th-11th grade) which was fun but challenging. I planned to step down at the end of the year but the volunteers I had lined up to replace me have changed their minds :( So it looks like I'll be leading it again this year. I also was the unofficial Cluster (4 troops - Daisy, Brownie, Junior, CSA) Coach this year and will be taking on the position officially on June 1st - that a leader mentor position mostly. In that role, I chaired a cluster wide Thinking Day event; a Promise Circle for GS week and the end of the year Awards Ceremony and Bridging this year as well as maintained the Cluster FB page. Oh and I mentor a 4-girl group who write monthly columns for the local newspaper and occasional articles for the council newsletters.

I'm also active on the Service unit. I chair the Older Girls (6-12th) Events - this year we did 5 badge lock-ins, 1 badge camp-out and an International Dinner for Thinking Day. I also maintain the FB pages for the SU ( one for all GS family members/volunteers and one for the Service team). I'm also unofficially handling Public Relations for the Service Unit and for a while I was interim Secretary but I managed to hand off that hat :) I received the Honour Pin (adult GS recognition) this year which was really unexpected and appreciated.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image

Re: Winding up the Scout year

Postby Esmeralda » Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 am

That is great your family is so involved in scouting, Linda! What a wonderful experience.

Emma and I are no longer involved. I was a troop leader for a number of years but after the first year of Cadettes, was finished. No one took over so the troop disbanded. I think I would have liked being a leader when the girls were Brownies!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!

Re: Winding up the Scout year

Postby cathie » Fri May 31, 2013 7:17 am

DD stopped in middle school, which seems pretty typical here. It's too bad, because I think it is a great experience but she isn't interested anymore. A middle school girl scout just did a really neat project to map the school for a student who is blind and got the tech teachers and engineering club to build him a robot that uses the map to navigate the school.

DH had no interest in Scouts, so the boys never joined.

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!

Return to Scouting