Vaccine Question (Menactra)

Vaccine Question (Menactra)

Postby sarah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I hope people see this and comment, I'm torn on this one. I will admit that I haven't done as much research on this vaccine as I did when the girls were younger. Meningitis scares me. The girls NP is recommending it, though she's been way more pro-vaccine lately :? At J's appt last week she said something about worrying for the both of us when I said we wouldn't get it at that appt. She also said ABC came out with an article with it possibly being linked to death's, but she didn't believe it :eek: She also told me one of the doctor's (the same one that sent me home with I to "wait out" Rotavirus :roll: ) missed meningitis and they recently lost a patient to it.

So, thoughts? Has anyone done research on it (beyond the CDC site, I feel they have an agenda).
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Re: Vaccine Question (Menactra)

Postby Esther » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:50 am

I've gotten it for both Ryan and Matt. I can't remember if Danny has had his first shot for it or not, possibly. Anyway, Ryan just got this shot(the second one) on Thurs at his 16 year old apt. And it's required for dorm living at most colleges, I believe. I'm pretty pro-vaccine however, but to me the risk of meningitis far outweighs any risks from the shot. The young teenagers (college age) are the ones most susceptible and it can cause death within hours.

However, I do keep turning down the doctor's suggestion of getting the gardisil shot for each of the boys. That one I do draw the line at. I have heard of too many adverse reactions in girls and I really don't see the need to vaccinate the boys for this.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Cheryl » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:47 am

I actually support it too. But, I am becoming more and more pro-vaccine each week. As part of my current position, I screen all the patients that were admitted to our children's hospital. Meningitis can be really scary. I also read about other 'worse case scenarios' in the PICU and if there is something I can prevent and save a life? I am all for it. I will also get Gardasil for all 3 of my kids, girls and boy.
Cheryl

Postby Linda » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm pretty laissez-faire about vaccines - Annabelle's only had a couple of vax - and not a complete set of anything.

That said - Simon WILL be getting this one before he goes to University in another year (he's at community college now and living at home still). His godmother's mum died from meningitis about 14 years ago leaving 5 children from almost 7 to Simon's godmother who was 25 - she went from fine to dead in about 48hrs = very, very scary
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Christina » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:42 pm

I would think that the risks of a meningitis infection would greatly outweigh the small risk of an adverse reaction to the vaccine.

But, then again, I think I've made my position on vaccines pretty clear in the past, so YMMV.
Christina

Postby wanda » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Both of my kids got it, but not until just before college.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby sarah » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:11 pm

Christina, if your child hasn't had any reactions, then yes, I can understand why you would think that. Two of mine HAVE had reactions to seemingly "harmless" vaccines. They weren't terrible reactions, but with allergies (which is what we were told K's was: "an allergic reaction to a component of the vaccine", we didn't take L in) more exposure means worse reactions.

I AM terrified of meningitis and the thought that a doctor would send a patient home to wait out what COULD be meningitis scares me even more! That doctor could be on call if my girls get sick (she was the only one available when we originally took I in when she had rotavirus). I don't know how effective it really is and I don't know what the side effects are. I also don't know how prevalent meningitis is. I need to do more research, but I can't find a non-biased source (I need a head banging icon!). I was going to ask the girls old ped today, but I didn't see him at church. He's always been honest and up front with me and I trust his opinion.
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Postby Tina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:59 am

Brett got the shot in 8th grade - due to the fact that he is very active in sports (close contact with others-locker room, etc). Otherwise he could have waited (Esther is right - many/most colleges require it.) I expect that Sean will get his as well in the next few years - again because of sports. Just recently a local 16yo died from meningitis and it is so quick and scary. Our ped does not push many vaccines (my kids have never had a flu shot and he has never even suggested the Gardasil), but he highly recommended this one.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby mobetsy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:42 am

Stephen just got his first dose at 16, and Andrew the same at 13. Both will get a second dose, though Andrew's will probably not be until he's 16 or 17; apparently the recommendation to consider two doses is relatively new. All I can say is that neither had any reaction whatsoever...but YMMV.
mobetsy

Postby RhondaS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:56 am

Ryan got his when he left for college - as Esther and Tina said, most schools require it. Meningitis strikes so quickly and death is so common that I never hesitated. Like Tina's Brett, Ben got his when he started high school last year due to sports. Samantha hasn't had it yet, I'll wait and see if she sticks with sports or not before deciding, but she will have it before she goes to college. The benefits far outweigh the risks on this one.
Rhonda, mom of Ryan 21, Ben 16, Sami 14
RhondaS

Postby SherrieM. » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 am

Many colleges are now requiring it. It is a scary disease, and very contagious. Texas college and universities are requiring it for all students (live on or live off campus) in 2012.

Now, I have NO idea how we're going to enforce that for commuter students, but no one in the legislature asked us how it would work.
SherrieM.

Postby CarolC » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 am

Hannah had this vaccine. DH almost died of Spinal Meningitis when he was 12, and he suffers lasting effects with his immune system.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
CarolC

Postby Linda » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:08 am

Sheri -
Massachusetts started requiring a second MMR for all college students eons ago when I was in college. Proof of vaccination was required at registration if the college didn't already have it on file for you. I remember getting mine when Simon was a newborn because I couldn't register for Spring semester without it (I think the law went into effect in Fall 91 but I had Simon in Oct 91 so took that semester off and returned in Spring 92). I imagine that the new vaccine requirements can be implemented the same way.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby erin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:27 am

CA has state vaccine waivers for personal beliefs, doesn't it apply to college as well? I personally am not sure with the reactions my kids have had to vaccines that I am comfortable with any vaccines. Once they are legal adults, they can do as they please, but I don't think I could do it. This disease is scary, but the likelyhood of getting it is still very very low. So if it were me, I would weigh the risks of the vaccines with the risks of the disease, but also the probability that my child would get it.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby RhondaS » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:17 am

Erin, the waiver might work for a state college (I have no idea), but private schools can maintain their own requirements. I understand your hesitation, and you are right, you have to take into consideration the likelihood of your child getting the disease. But living in such close quarters, the disease can spread fast. Often before someone can be diagnosed they've transmitted the germs to who knows how many people.
Rhonda, mom of Ryan 21, Ben 16, Sami 14
RhondaS

Postby Esther » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 am

This is just me, but I could never live with myself if one of my children contracted this disease and either died or got seriously maimed (this is the disease that can easily spread to flesh eating bacteria -- I have seen more than one Reader's digest type article on young teenagers that lose limbs b/c of this) - when it could easily be prevented by a vaccine.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby erin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:04 pm

RhondaS wrote:Erin, the waiver might work for a state college (I have no idea), but private schools can maintain their own requirements. I understand your hesitation, and you are right, you have to take into consideration the likelihood of your child getting the disease. But living in such close quarters, the disease can spread fast. Often before someone can be diagnosed they've transmitted the germs to who knows how many people.

Right I get that, but unless you have had a child have severe reactions to a vaccine, it's hard to imagine that even with a disease like this, sometimes the chances with the disease and never being exposed is much safer than guaranteeing at least a risk if reaction to the vaccine. That was my point to Sarah. I know, for ME the risk of the vaccines is scarier then the risk of being exposed to the disease.
erin

Postby erin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Esther wrote:This is just me, but I could never live with myself if one of my children contracted this disease and either died or got seriously maimed (this is the disease that can easily spread to flesh eating bacteria -- I have seen more than one Reader's digest type article on young teenagers that lose limbs b/c of this) - when it could easily be prevented by a vaccine.

Right just as I couldn't live with myself giving my child a vaccine that cause permanent damage to their brain or they lost their ability to walk etc. We all have to make decisions based on the level of risk we are wiling to take.
erin

Return to Parenting, Health, and Safety