Breastfeeding roll call

Breastfeeding roll call

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:49 am

It's been a long time since we've done one of these. I'll go first...

Annabelle is 23months and still nursing. I'm working on night weaning but more in the sense of encouraging her to sleep through the night than in the sense of actively discouraging night nursing. No immediate plans to day-wean, she does love drinking from a cup so I think she'll be a bit easier than Cathleen when the time comes.

She's very cute when she wants to nurse. If I'm not sitting down, she'll say "sit sit pease". Otherwise she'll just climb on my lap and say "pitty pease mumma, pitty pease" (pretty please). She'll say "all done, tank ou" as she climbs back down (if she hasn't fallen asleep).

Oh and sometimes she'll climb up and say "kumbya, pitty pease" and she almost always falls asleep those times. I've sung kumbya to her while trying to nurse her to sleep since she was tiny - she sings it now as well as she rocks her dolly.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby ann » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:59 am

I'm kind of here. Lindsey is still nursing occasionally. Every once in awhile she'll go a week or so without nursing and I'll wonder if she's weaned, but then she starts back up again. With all of the changes that are going on (being out of routine when we went on vacation and now the start of fall activities and preschool), she's been wanting to reconnect a bit more often and is back to nursing twice a day or so.

I say that I'm kind of here because I really don't have much milk left (I haven't since I was pregnant 2 years ago), but Lindsey's still hanging on and I'll continue to nurse her until she's ready to be done. Noelle nursed until she was 5, and it looks like Lindsey will too.
Ann
mama of Avery (11), Ben (10), Noelle (9), Lindsey (7)

*the pic portion of my signature is under construction*
ann

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:02 am

That's great that you're still nursing Lindsey. I remember when I was still nursing Cathleen as a 3 and 4 y/o, you and Sarah were the ones I chatted with about nursing an older child - it was nice not being the only one. I have a feeling Annabelle will nurse at least until 3, maybe longer, she's not slowing down much as she approaches 2.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Christina » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:27 am

Well, I never, ever thought Daniel would still be nursing at almost 3.5, yet he is! I'm beyond ready to be done, though. He nurses at naptime if we're at home and he's sleepy, and he nurses to sleep at night (and through the night too, comfort nursing more than anything else). I would really like to have my bed back to myself, though!

If anyone has any night-weaning tips, I'm happy to have them. DH would be no help at dealing with Daniel during the night to distract him, though...
Christina

Postby Linda » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 am

Hi Christina

Night weaning...with Cathleen, it was hard, she was 4 when she finally nightweaned. I offered a sippy cup (of water), I talked to her about not nursing at night anymore, I switched to nightclothes that weren't as nursing friendly, I finally resorted to wearing a non-nursing bra to bed (she was the 'help herself' sort.).

Annabelle - I moved her to a crib around a year old and since then I've just brought her to bed when she wakes up. She's been stretching out that time in the crib gradually though - and actually sleeps through the night about 4 nights a week - the other nights she's usually up between 4 and 5 to nurse and then goes back to sleep on me until I get up at 545. I've been noticing lately that she's soaked most nights that she gets up early and dry in the mornings when she stays in the crib all night so I 'think' she wakes herself up either because she needs to pee or because her diaper is wet. Not sure how to fix that though.

Good luck. I know I'm SO done with co-sleeping.

Image Image
Linda

Return to Breastfeeding