Green Thumb?

Green Thumb?

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:43 pm

I got my order in from Dutch Gardens on Friday and I planted some shade perenials (19 bare root plants) and 60 crocosmia bulbs. Has anyone else started with their gardens?

Also, does anyone else order plants from catalog/online? Which one do you like? I've had good luck with Dutch Gardens. They've refunded me for bulbs that didn't come up. They are also good about replacing things that aren't up to par. However, it seems like there is always something with their orders so I'm ready to look elsewhere.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Mrs.K » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:00 pm

I wish I had a green thumb....still learning here! We went to the local nursery for a hydrangea, two spirea plants and I had bought some Jabob's ladders from HD and assorted annuals to fill in.

For my veggie garden, I had lots of success with the seeds I bought from gardenguides.com last year and will be doing those again. I also picked up some of their hummingbird and butterfly flower mixes for the back since there isn't much we can do with it in it's current state.
Mrs.K

Postby mobetsy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:06 pm

I will duck as I tell you that our irises have already bloomed and gone by, and our gladiolas are 18" high and starting to bud. Our tomatoes and peppers went in several weeks ago. We get the veggies from Home Depot or similar, and the bulbs have all been from people thinning out their gardens, so I am no help on that account.
mobetsy

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:23 pm

Sounds like you've been real busy Linda!! You got a lot done!!

right now I haven't even thought about a garden. This year will be the removal of all that is old! (I might let my parents stay..but the shrubs must go!)

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Lisa
Queen Mother

Postby SherrieM. » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:41 pm

We just started this weekend, mostly weeding, though we did plant peas, lettuce, dill, and strawberries.

I've given up on mail order. Half the time things died, or didn't come up, or they were in such bad condition it was barely worth it to me. I now go to Lowe's or a local nursery for anything we plant. It costs a bit more (sometimes, not always), but if something dies, I can pull it out and drag it to the store with a recepit.
SherrieM.

Postby ann » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:26 pm

I'm mostly just doing the veggie garden again this year. My plan is to start everything from seed this year *fingers crossed* I buy most of my veggie seeds from seeds of change

www.seedsofchange.com

All organic, open pollinated and many rare and heirloom choices :)

So far I've got onions and broccoli started indoors. Next weekend I'll get ready to transplant the onions/broccoli and sew the peas and spinach directly into the garden. The rhubarb is already starting to come up. I'm doing square foot gardening this year, and I've got my garden almost ready to go.

www.squarefootgardening.com
Ann
mama of Avery (11), Ben (10), Noelle (9), Lindsey (7)

*the pic portion of my signature is under construction*
ann

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:56 am

Betsy - I sound like you! My garden is referred to as the "adoption land". Anyone that had any kind of plant they didn't want, I was all over it! Daylillies, peonies, crepe myrtles and daffodils.

I'm big in to perinnials so I have all stuff that comes back year after year and can be divided. My daffodils are gone, tulips are here now and crepe myrtles and azaleas are close behind. I love this time of year!
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:49 am

Ann - I've read so much about square foot gardening. I would love to try it, but right now, I'm out of luck for a vegetable garden spot. I'll be putting in the rest of the shrubs/plants around the perimeter of the house this year. That's where I put my orphan veggies that the neighbors gave me last year. I'm trying to convince DH to let me put in a raised bed adjacent to the play set (the yard slopes here, and we have landscape timbers around the rock to keep it in place. DH says it's too close to where the kids play and they will mess with everything. The soil here is crap so a raised bed is a good way to go.

Nancy - what kind of perenials to you have? What about your crape myrtle? Do you know what variety it is? I have one more to put in and I'm checking on the varieties.

Sherrie, I normally just buy at local - Wal Mart (we got our pansies there, Home Depot, Lowe's or local nursery), but I bought some more unusual bulbs mail order. Some stuff I've loved, other stuff is not so hot. In any case, I've never had any problem getting credit for stuff that didn't come up, that I bought at Dutch Gardens.

Where's everyone else with their green thumbs.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:53 am

Linda - my perinnials are irises, tulips, daylillies, gladiolas, daisies/black-eyed susans and peonies. My peony bulbs were my great grandmothers and are 100+ years old. I also have my grandfather's ginger lillies.

I also have tons of azaleas and hydrangeas. Love both of them.

I don't know what my crepe myrtles are. They were "babies" off of a tree in my parents yard 10 years ago that we transplanted. I have white and reds.

We also have yellow bells (forsythia) and both pink and white spyrea.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby ann » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Linda, my veggie garden is right next to the kids' play area. If the kids get going really fast down the slide, they can slide into the garden, LOL. For the most part, I don't have problems with the kids. They do like to "help" in the garden :lol: But I've been clear in my expectations that they will stay out of the garden, and they've done a great job. I usually have to keep an eye on the babies, but I've never had any really big problems with the kids 'messing with' the garden.
Ann
mama of Avery (11), Ben (10), Noelle (9), Lindsey (7)

*the pic portion of my signature is under construction*
ann

Postby SherrieM. » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:18 pm

The kids tromp through my garden all the time, but once the plants are up, they try to stay away.

Now if only the deer and the rabbits would do the same.
SherrieM.

Would anybody pls give me some advice on forex trading? What

Postby Hoafe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:59 pm

What's a good site that accurtely simulates Forex?
best forex software
Hoafe

Return to I'm Not Martha!