(Re)Upholstering

(Re)Upholstering

Postby Lesley » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 am

Anyone ever done any serious reupholstering? I'm about to embark on a project. Back when I bought my house....20 years ago ... I bought a couch at a garage sale. It's a really sturdy, well-made, comfortable couch. After getting married we got a new couch with recliners on both ends, one of which recently broke, and it's not that comfy and not good on my back. In the past couplel of years I let the dogs have the old couch, yet I keep thinking I really should reclaim and fix it, because it's very comfy and sturdy as all heck.

So I"m going to do the deed. Going to find a book - any suggestions? My mom used to make slip covers for a living and has done some repair, so I'll ask her. Mainly the thing needs new padding. I think the bottom springs are good. One section of the back needs either repair or new springs. Ideas and suggestions happily accepted.
Lesley

Re: (Re)Upholstering

Postby mobetsy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 am

Brave you! I guess you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. I would look for videos on the Internet, too, as sometimes it helps to see a step actually being done. You might also want to consider wearing some sort of face mask while you do it, as one can only imagine the dust and allergens built up in thales cushions over time. Let us know how it goes!
mobetsy

Postby wanda » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Depending on the style, it will be easy or else I will consider you very brave. I've only done the simplest of things. I wish I were brave enough to reupholster the sofa and chairs Court is using. They're very well made, but.........
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby mobetsy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Les, just out of curiosity, did you get any estimates for having it done? Probably way more expensive, but every once in a while these sorts of things can be surprisingly reasonable, especially when all the materials are factored in. If it is simply that you want the satisfaction, then you go, girl!
mobetsy

Postby SherrieM. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Purchase a serious staple gun.

I'm planning to do the same thing over Christmas break, Les. We have a sleeper sofa that we inherited from Greg's parents. The bones are good, but the fabric has had it. I need to investigate what fabrics hold up better v. others, but I do know I need a serious staple gun to adhere the fabric to the frame. You also need to look into what types of foam you need to replace whatever is so mushed you can't use it.
SherrieM.

Postby Maelyn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:29 pm

I've done it in the past. Used to do it a lot before kids.
It's really not all that hard but sometimes does require a helping hand to get the fabric taut while stapling.

Get a really good staple gun. Learn all about tac strips. And then if you can find reasonably priced fabric go for it. But given the cost of fabric now I'd have it priced from a professional and see how much of a cost difference it is between that and buying the fabric yourself. They can often get really good deals on the fabrics that you can't.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby wanda » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:41 pm

The ones you staple aren't that difficult. I was assuming your cushions were slipcovered, and that's what slows me down with Courtney's. Staples are great!!!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:33 am

Just the *thought* of doing that scares me..... There is a guy in town that does them for a very reasonable price. When I have done it, I have used him. I think that trying to do it myself is just one of those things that would frustrate me because I wouldn't be able to do it well.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Return to I'm Not Martha!