Old scrapbooks in pieces

Old scrapbooks in pieces

Postby SherrieM. » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 am

Help! My mom (and later me) put together two scrapbooks that essentially hold every item of my life from birth to 18. These are old-school books, put together with Elmers. There's photos, cards, report cards, tickets, all sorts of stuff in there. They bindings on the books have been dicey for years, and with this last move, they completely broke.

How would you rescue this? I can't peel the items off the old, yellowing and degrading pages because we used Elmer's glue. Tons of it. In some spots, I think I used rubber cement (hey, I was 8 ).

I'd like to save as much as I can. There are cards from relatives long gone and letters that are just so heartfelt I don't want to lose them.
SherrieM.

Re: Old scrapbooks in pieces

Postby Tina » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 am

Sherrie,
I'm on a conference call and have to run, but this is what I found online:

Glued Down Scrapbook Pages: Some older scrapbooks/photo albums were constructed by simply gluing items to heavy weight (construction paper-type) paper. The adhesive used may have been rubber cement. These albums pose special difficulties for photo removal. Heptane works to remove sticky adhesive like those found on the back of stickers and labels but it will NOT work on dried adhesives like Elmer’s glue. Also, the paper that the items are attached to is usually to fragile for physical or heat methods. My only recommendation for these types of albums is to color copy the photos, documents, and memorabilia that are especially important and then store the original album in a safe place.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby SherrieM. » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:43 am

Ouch. It's too late for that. Maybe I'll invest in a hatbox made of archival cardboard and store the pages.
SherrieM.

Postby mamaotter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:01 pm

Could you cut around some of the photos and things, backing at all, and then glue it into new books with the backing intact?
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby SherrieM. » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 pm

No, because there are things pasted on both sides of the paper.

This is partly my fault. I've known for a couple of years that I needed to do something, but I didn't know what to do, I was busy with grad school, and I just let it go. Now the bindings have broken, and I don't have many options.
SherrieM.

Postby mamaotter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:04 am

Doh! I didn't think about there being things on both sides. Ok, how about those clear plastic sleeves (perhaps the ones that can be put in a three ring binder). Could you cut the pages out of the book, put them each in a clear plastic sleeve, and then put them in a binder?
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby SherrieM. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:34 am

That's a really good idea Janet! Thanks. That would work, I think.
SherrieM.

Return to I'm Not Martha!