shoulder wrap with baffles

shoulder wrap with baffles

Postby Lesley » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:36 am

I purchased a shoulder wrap which is filled with flax seeds and herbs. It can be used hot or cold. It is absolutely AMAZING. I'm trying to make one, which I thought would be fairly simple, however I'm having trouble sewing the baffles with the flax seed in it, or sewing the baffle and then trying to fill it with flax seed. I tried using a funnel, but the flax seed backs up and I end up using a pencil to shove the seed thru the funnel opening. I tried leaving a larger opening and pouring the seed in, but then when I went to sew the next baffle I ended up with seeds all over the floor!!! The company probably has a machine that blows the seed in. Maybe I don't need as many baffles? Anyone have ideas on how I can do this a bit more easily? Thanks!!
shoulderwrap.jpg
Lesley

Re: shoulder wrap with baffles

Postby Sue » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 am

Les, my mom has one that doesn't have the baffles at all. It's more like this

Or I've seen them that are like this:

Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby RhondaS » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:19 am

I haven't seen them with the baffles either (I didn't even know what a baffle was!). But they do make it look pretty. Sounds like a lot of work for me, sorry I don't have any sewing skills or advice.
Rhonda, mom of Ryan 21, Ben 16, Sami 14
RhondaS

Postby Lesley » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 am

The baffles do keep the seeds in place better. My concern if I don't put any in is that the seeds will all pour to the lowest point. But I think I'll experiment and see if I can do one with fewer baffles - to make my life easier and less baffling. ;)
Lesley

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am

you beat me to it, Les. I was going to say....this is BAFFLING.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Linda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:22 pm

I may not have the right idea of how the baffles work but if they are simply tunnels sewn side by side, then how about sewing all of them at one time leaving one end of each open, then filling one at a time and sewing the end closed? I know when I've made rice sacks, i use a funnel to fill them but I've used a straw to help the rice go through the funnel.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Return to I'm Not Martha!