Texas gals: Plants

Texas gals: Plants

Postby SherrieM. » Wed May 20, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm starting from scratch in our new yard. The back yard was destroyed by the previous owners' dogs. They sodded it, but I know I'm going to want to plant a tree or two and put in flower beds to shield/screen us from the neighbors.

What grows well in South Texas (besides cati)? I'm guessing jasmine and maybe a lime tree, but what else? Help! I've never gardened south of the Mason-Dixon line (here does not count).
SherrieM.

Postby Esther » Wed May 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Sherrie, I didn't know you already had moved! congrats! How are you settling into the new house and area?

One plant (can be both a tree and a shrub) that does well in the texas sub tropical climates is Crape myrtle. I would probably recommend going to a local nursery and asking around there, they would probably have a lot of good suggestions. Seems like in Houston, most of the homes had trees such as Pin Oaks, or pine trees.

Good luck!

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby mobetsy » Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Guessing a bit on this (Sunset would really be one of your best sources for real info), but a couple of bedding plants that grow well in our hot, dry climate are gazanias (a bright, daisy-like flower) and assorted types of ice plant. There's an iceplant with small "leaves" that has small, hot pink flowers, absolutely stunning when in bloom. Lantana and verbena are two other sturdy (i.e., kids can stomp on them and they'll be fine) and pretty ones that come with a variety of flower colors; both can be ground cover and lantana is also good as a shrub. Indian Hawthorne has attractive foliage and lovely small pink flowers; the only thing about that is it seems to attract lots of bees. Ditto on the bees for rosemary, but again it is a nice plant with small purple flowers. Oleander makes a good and fast growing hedge.
mobetsy

Postby Stephanie » Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 pm

I am a Howard Garrett junkie (dirtdoctor.com) and he mentions someone that s the garden guru from San Antonio. I'll be sure to pay attention next time I listen to his show. I got an awesome catalog from Native American Seeds, seedsource.com that has all native Texas plants. I am trying to add natives as much as possible as we landscape. But since we are seriously considering bulldozing our money pit and starting over (some day) or else moving, I am not doing much more than planting my garden.

Howard Garrett has several great books on plants for Texas. I have several of them and refer to them all the time!
Stephanie, mom to Anna, Abby & Garrett
Stephanie

Postby Cheryl » Thu May 21, 2009 7:06 am

I have to be honest and say I don't really know some of the names. But, jasmine grows well and quickly. For fast growing full privacy shrubs, you can't beat the lagostrums (?sp) We have to hack them back often. Low standing bushes the heather does really well and these flowers with orangish-reddish flowers take over. For trees, citrus are hard to grow. Oaks are easy. We also have a Bradford Pear, Holly trees and a bunch of palms. Honestly, I can't think of any pine trees around here. For annuals, we usually do vincas or impatiens in the summer and cyclamen or pansies in the winter and both are easy. Begonias last year round. I would talk to the local nursery before you start or your neighbors. We had a service 'plan' our yard after the pool and I just do the annuals each year and my veggie/herb garden.
Cheryl

Postby Tina » Thu May 21, 2009 8:30 am

When my parents lived in FL, my absolute favorites were jasmin, gardenias and magnolias :D They also had great luck with bananas (the best EVER), oranges, lemons and grapefruit.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Re: Texas gals: Plants

Postby hollymg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:26 am

I really need to check this thread more often. Have you discovered oleanders yet? The grow big and "fluffy," add color, and do well in dry, non-freezing conditions.

People freak they are poisonous, but I think you have to try really hard to get sick on them...like brew them in a tea or something.
hollymg

Return to I'm Not Martha!