Getting stains out of a pan?

Getting stains out of a pan?

Postby Anna » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:59 am

I have two non stick pans that are looking ugly. Love them though and use them almost daily. How do I get stains out of them? I know the stains are from cooking spray.

Ideas? I tried soaking them overnight in warm water and baking soda. Didn't help.

TIA!
She believed she could, so she did.

Anna, mom to Stephen ("Steve" blech) 26, SHAYNE! (17) and CJ (Siege) 15

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Anna

Postby Cheryl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:16 am

http://www.ehow.com/how_2304535_remove- ... kware.html

Sounds kinda extreme. I have been looking at some reviews to buy one new small nonstick pan for omelettes/eggs as ours are scratched up and STICK. So far, I am reading a lot of "buy cheap and throw out after 2 years. " Yikes! Not what I want to hear!
Cheryl

Postby Sue » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:20 am

Oh, I know what you mean - I always swear I'm not going to let that cooking spray build up on a new pan, but somehow it always gets the best of me!

So try Bar Keepers Friend - you can get it at most grocery and hardware (yes, hardware) stores. It's gentle (meaning won't harm your stuff) but it really gets things clean. I think it sorta smells funny, but it's worth it. In my experience the powder and a little elbow grease work much better than the liquid version.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

The other thing that I'd try is a brillo pad. Gently though.

Cheryl, I've never invested in an expensive pan because I'm afraid I'd be throwing it away in two years too. Cookie sheets, pizza pans and non-stick skillets don't seem to last long at my house. Now my Revereware sauce pans? Almost like new, even though they are about 20 years old.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby mobetsy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:04 am

A couple of years ago we got a lovely new non-stick skillet. Was I ever surprised to read in the instructions not to use spray on it! I'll use oil occasionally, but not spray, and it has worked well and no staining.
mobetsy

Postby Sue » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 am

mobetsy wrote:A couple of years ago we got a lovely new non-stick skillet. Was I ever surprised to read in the instructions not to use spray on it! I'll use oil occasionally, but not spray, and it has worked well and no staining.

Well Betsy, that does make sense. It is a non-stick pan! I never, ever use oil or PAM on my waffle iron and have never had a problem with waffles sticking. DH used PAM on it once and I was really irritated with him, because of course now everything was sticking. I cleaned it up, re-seasoned it (like you would any cast iron pan) and fortunately fixed it.

So I think the next time I buy a non-stick pan, I'll pay more attention to the directions and see if I can extend its life.

My glass pans (brownie and bread pans) have that nasty PAM residue on them too. Blech.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby April » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:27 am

throw out the PAM and get one of those spray bottles you can put vegetable oil in. They sell them at any specialty kitchen store!

As for the stain, no help here, sorry.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Lesley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Whenever something would burn down in a pan my mother would fill it with water and put in about a tsp of cream of tartar then boil it. I don't know if it would work for stains but it took out the burned-on crap!
Lesley

Postby mobetsy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:27 pm

Now that you mention it, we've done something like that, only with baking soda. Cream of tartar is acidic and baking soda alkaline, but maybe the same "not neutral" factor is at work.
mobetsy

Postby ruffages » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Sue wrote:
Now my Revereware sauce pans? Almost like new, even though they are about 20 years old.

*Nodding my head...vigorously*

Can I get an A-Men!

My mom got me a set of Revereware when I left for Purdue in 1982. I LOVE my Revereware but I know that there are things I just won't cook in them (more specifically, the fry pan). Like eggs. Regardless of what I cooked in them I can get them clean. Just soaking and a Brillo/SOS pad. There will ALWAYS be revereware in my kitchen. It is basically indestructible.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:00 am

double post
Last edited by Anna on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anna

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:00 am

I have the pan boiling now in Cheryl's recipe. We'll see how it turns out.

I'm sure it is a cheap pan, but the thing is, it makes CJ's "Two sunny side up please" perfectly (shallow 8 "). So I'm not tossing it just because it's stained. I would just like it clean! Those eggs slide right out and onto his plate effortlessly, with cooking spray.

Thanks for the tips!

Anna

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:09 am

Sue wrote:My glass pans (brownie and bread pans) have that nasty PAM residue on them too. Blech.

Mine do too. Especially the round one I use *every* Sunday morning to cook cinnamon rolls. Wonder if there is a way to get that out?

April - we have one of those oil spray bottles (I got mine from Pampered Chef). I do like it, but there are some thing (like the aforementioned cinnamon rolls), that I like the butter flavored Pam instead of oil with.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Anna » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 am

Unbelievable! The pan looks like brand new, I'm thrilled!

I didn't use the cleaning recipe exactly because the sides of the pan were the problem area, and one cup of water, even in a small pan, will not get to the sides. So I filled the pan just shy of the top, and as the water was heating I added baking soda and stirred to dissolve. Then splashed in some bleach and brought it to a boil. I set the timer for 15 minutes and then removed it and let it cool. The bottom of the pan was already spotless. I had to use a little baking soda paste for the sides (has to be a year or more of residue) and it came off almost effortlessly.

I have another pan boiling now. Yay!

ETA: crack open a window. :D

Anna

Postby Lesley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 am

Yay!! And great timing - Molly made mini-muffins last week, using Pam. I didn't think but she put a 2nd batch in without washing the pan with only 2 muffins...you should SEE the burned-on mess!!! I'll be boiling her muffin pan when it warms up enough to open the dang window!! It was a frigid NINE this morning. BRRRR
Lesley

Postby April » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:48 am

Nancy wrote:
Sue wrote:My glass pans (brownie and bread pans) have that nasty PAM residue on them too. Blech.

Mine do too. Especially the round one I use *every* Sunday morning to cook cinnamon rolls. Wonder if there is a way to get that out?

April - we have one of those oil spray bottles (I got mine from Pampered Chef). I do like it, but there are some thing (like the aforementioned cinnamon rolls), that I like the butter flavored Pam instead of oil with.

I've gone back to using butter again. Not much, quantity-wise, but for flavor.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Return to I'm Not Martha!