Replacing kitchen countertops (edit below)

Postby Anna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:36 am

I think going lighter will absolutely brighten up your kitchen, Linda. I LOVE the tans and golds they have. As for sinks, you are going to do an undermount? You will love it. I would stick with stainless. I personally don't care for the 50/50 sinks. They look dated to me. Something like this is nice and more modern (the first one)

http://www.siennasinks.com/index.php?id ... DQodXlropg

For colors in stone, you can stay safe and comfy with something like this:

http://www.marble.com/stone/African,Beige,522.html

Go a little bolder:

http://www.marble.com/stone/Brazilian,Gold,67.html

I think this piece is fantastic, but it's also very bold and colorful!

http://www.marble.com/stone/Cloudy,Yellow,94.html

With granite, I would stay away from any blues or greens just to keep more natural looking. Also, you need to pick out a fabulous new faucet!

I really recommend taking a cabinet door or drawer front with you to match, if you have an extra floor tile that would be good too. What looks great in a showroom may not match at all. It can take your kitchen from "Nice granite" to "Wow, gorgeous kitchen!"

Good luck, I love kitchen makeovers!
She believed she could, so she did.

Anna, mom to Stephen ("Steve" blech) 26, SHAYNE! (17) and CJ (Siege) 15

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Anna

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Anna wrote:I really recommend taking a cabinet door or drawer front with you to match, if you have an extra floor tile that would be good too. What looks great in a showroom may not match at all. It can take your kitchen from "Nice granite" to "Wow, gorgeous kitchen!"

Thanks Anna!

I will have to look for the sample I have from our cabinets. And I do have extra tiles, so I will be sure to take them!
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 am

Sue - I *so* love your kitchen colors/combo. Your walls are almost the same color as mine!
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby cherir » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am

I love the bold and colorful and personally don't like the traditional granite that looks just the same inch by inch.

I found this color on the website Anna posted PLUS it shows multiple photos of it being used in a kitchen that looks similar to yours, even with a tile backsplash. The samples look too light to me, but the photos make it look much richer.

http://www.marble.com/stone/Golden,Valley,197.html

Cheri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No one needs a smile as much as a person who fails to give one." Unknown
cherir

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm

They are in! Tomorrow the plumber comes and connects the sink Thanks Anna for the link to SiennaSinks! It looks great! There was a problem with the sink grate - the hole in the grate isn't over the hole in the sink. Sienna Sink has credited me with the cost of the grates and will call me as soon as a match is available.Monday the tile guy comes. He will finish the grout on Tuesday. YEAH! I'll try to get pictures when it's all done.

WorkingMomx3

Postby Anna » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:46 pm

How exciting, I can't wait to see the pics!

Anna

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:19 pm

Oh no! Just found a chip in the granite. And dang it...the hole that was spec'd to be drilled for the faucet is too small. DH tried to get it in and no luck. The hole needs to be at least a 1/4" larger to be able to mount the faucet tightly. Right now, there's no room around all the pipes to tighten the nut. So now I'm trying to get the stone guys out ASAP in the am so that the plumber can finish up the sink hook-up. The faucet has to go in first before redoing all the rest of the piping under the sink.

WorkingMomx3

Postby Anna » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Linda, drilling the hole bigger should be no problem depending on the proximity of the wall to the faucet. My granite had a crack in it that I didn't notice until after they left. They offered to either fix it or replace it. I asked them to show me it fixed, and then I would decide. You would never know.

I'm sorry it is such a pain right now. You will be happy when it is finished! Do you love your new granite?

Anna

Previous

Return to I'm Not Martha!