Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Cleaning Hardwood Floors

Postby Cheryl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:01 pm

I am going over the obsessed line with my floors. They have gotten so filthy with the construction and I just can't get them clean. I am mopping them several times a week and am having my housekeeper do them twice on her day. They still are dull and dirty. When you wipe up a water spill, the towel comes up black. I am using the Bona hardwood floor cleaner and tried Method. I have also used two different mops. Any tips? It is GROSS!
Cheryl

Postby jane » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Try hot water and white vinegar, maybe 1/4 cup vinegar to one gallon of water. No need to rinse when done, but do rinse the cloth out several times in the sink, in between swipes. If that doesn't get it, call a flooring company.

Since we had ours redone, I was told only to mop with vinegar and water, it is great! I'm assuming you have drywall residue?
jane

Postby Sue » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:04 pm

I agree with vinegar and water. My sister got me this rubber mop thing which has a scrubbie side and a squeegee side. I use the scrubbie side first and then squeegee side along with an old towel to get the dirty squeegee water.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby Esther » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 pm

I swear by Bruce hardwood floor cleaner (you can buy it at Home depot and Lowe's). We have in fact Bruce hardwood brand flooring and early on when we needed a bit of warranty work done on the kitchen floor, the rep recommended using it (in fact he said if we used anything else it would void our warranty).

It depends on what finish your hardwood floors are tho, ours are polyurethane finished. I wouldn't use just anything on them.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Cheryl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:40 am

Well, I got down on my hands and knees with the vinegar and water. took 2 hours but it looks GREAT! It is polyurethane but they did a lousy job. Truly lousy. They are coming back this week or next to decide what to do.
Cheryl

Return to I'm Not Martha!