Best way to clean diamond earrings?

Best way to clean diamond earrings?

Postby funnygirl » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:03 pm

I have a pair of studs and I am kind of at a loss. My mom used some concoction of ammonia, hot water & dish soap. Any suggestions?
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Auburn twins plus two » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:40 pm

As my mother before me, I use a combo of hot water and ammonia. I let the jewlery soak for a few minutes and then scrub with a soft bristle tooth brush. Never have used the dish soap in the combo because usually I am trying to remove the build up of soap residue. I wear my wedding rings and diamond studs constantly...they are cleaned once a month.
~~ Angie~~Mom to Alex,Cameron, Hayley,& Cooper
Auburn twins plus two

Location: Celebrating the little things that make life so big

Postby Esther » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:54 pm

I've actually had 2 different jewelers tell me the best thing is to take warm water and a dab of dish soap and a toothbrush to clean diamonds. You can also use ammonia.

Sometimes I use the dish soap and then rinse it off with some rubbing alcohol.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Tina » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:53 am

I use a little toothpaste (not gel, but actual paste) on a soft bristle tooth brush. It works great for me.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 pm

I actually have one of those sonic cleaners. My grandmother gave it to me ages ago. It was one of those gifts I didn't "get" at the time, but now like it. When I remember to pull it out, that is...
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Tara » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:59 pm

I have also always used toothpaste to clean my jewelry. It works GREAT. Reminds me I should do it again soon, getting dull. :)
-Tara
Tara

Postby Maelyn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:38 am

You can take them to the mall jewelery store and they will almost always clean them using the ultrasonic cleaner for you for nothing...
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby wanda » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:55 am

I buy those little tubs of liquid jewelry cleaner you can get most anywhere. They ammonia based, inexpensive, and work very well for diamonds and gold.

I've always wanted one of those sonic thingees, but could never decide which one to buy. (I'm big with procrastination sometimes :? ) I have heard that you need to be careful about checking your mountings because using one can loosen stones.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Return to I'm Not Martha!