stains on clothes from washer

stains on clothes from washer

Postby Jen F. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 am

HELP!!

For a couple of months, randomly our clothes have these weird orange-ish colored stains in random spots. And they are nearly impossible to get out. Anyone have an idea of might be causing it??
TIA!!!,
Jen
Jen F.

Postby Tina » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:18 am

Hey Jen. Long time no "see". Is there a rust spot anywhere in the drum?That's the only thing I can think of that would cause an orange colored stain. Hmmm....
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby April » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:22 am

I thought rust first thing too. If you can't visibly see it, maybe a call to have it checked further would be a last resort.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Auburn twins plus two » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:33 am

Check for small pieces of an orange crayon. We had one slip by me and for months after I would find light orange streaks on clothing. It was about the size of a push pin and had become lodged in one of the drain holes. Also check your dryer and make sure there is no crayon on the sides of the drum. Once it heats up the crayon will melt all over again and mark the clothing.

If you can rule out the crayon then I totally agree with the rust.

~~ Angie~~Mom to Alex,Cameron, Hayley,& Cooper
Auburn twins plus two

Location: Celebrating the little things that make life so big

Postby Sue » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 am

I thought rust too. Get some Whink! it's in a smallish rust colored bottle, maybe 10 oz or so. Most grocery and nearly all hardware stores carry it and it works immediately to remove rust stains. So if that's what it is, you'll know.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby wanda » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 pm

Look closely at the little holes in the washer drum. Once I had a similar problem and it was because only one hole had a little rust...no idea why. There's a liquid you can buy at the hardware store that you actually pour into your washer water to remove the rust deposit. Can't remember the name, possibly Iron Out, but it did the trick for us.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Maelyn » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Rust...
Best way to get it out of clothes is to put some lemon juice on the stain, cover it is salt and put it in the sunshine till dry. The salt brushes off and the rust is gone. As for getting it out of the washer/dryer...??? no idea.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby Jen F. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm

Sue wrote:I thought rust too. Get some Whink! it's in a smallish rust colored bottle, maybe 10 oz or so. Most grocery and nearly all hardware stores carry it and it works immediately to remove rust stains. So if that's what it is, you'll know.

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't checked for rust, well except a very quick look at the inside of the washer. The stains are definitely coming from within the washer and not the dryer. I even bleached a couple of white t-shirts and the stain is still faintly (but noticeably) there.

I'll have to look for Whink when I get to the store again.

Maelyn, Thanks for the laundry suggestion. I'll try that.

I was kind of guessing it was rust, but I didn't know what I would do about it (you know to 'fix' it) so I was hoping it was something else. I'll be thoroughly looking through the drum for any rust spots.

Thanks again for all of your responses-

Jen
Jen F.

Postby Jen F. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Tina wrote:Hey Jen. Long time no "see". Is there a rust spot anywhere in the drum?That's the only thing I can think of that would cause an orange colored stain. Hmmm....

Hey Tina,
How are you? We are well. I was thinking that I might be heading to Rochester this summer, but both of my friends who live there are planning to come here for a visit. When I do come to Rochester, I'll definitely let you know, so we can get together.

Are you going to Lake George this summer? We go there on 7/26 and we can't wait!! What vacation plans do you have the summer?

Jen
Jen F.

Postby Jen F. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:46 pm

Auburn twins plus two wrote:

Check for small pieces of an orange crayon. We had one slip by me and for months after I would find light orange streaks on clothing. It was about the size of a push pin and had become lodged in one of the drain holes. Also check your dryer and make sure there is no crayon on the sides of the drum. Once it heats up the crayon will melt all over again and mark the clothing.

If you can rule out the crayon then I totally agree with the rust.

I'll double check for a piece of crayon, good thinking.

Thanks,
Jen
Jen F.

Postby Maelyn » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Jen - the lemon juice / salt trick came from my great grandmom and worked like a charm on some clothes I had.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby Jen F. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Maelyn wrote:Jen - the lemon juice / salt trick came from my great grandmom and worked like a charm on some clothes I had.

Do you think it will work on clothes that have been washed and now dried? Or should I wait until it happens again and do it right away?

Thanks again,
Jen
Jen F.

Postby funnygirl » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:49 am

I will be trying Maelyn's method on some already been washed sheets. I was organizing the linen closet yesterday, and pulled out a set of sheets (my very best & most prized Ralph Lauren ones) that have funny orange spots.

They appear to be more appearant on the pillowcase that the set was in, like something leaked through. I washed them once with liquid Tide on all the worst spots - no luck. I did not put them in the dryer though.

Not sure if it is rust spots. Any other suggestions?
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Return to I'm Not Martha!