Need good "make and take" recipies that serve 6+

Need good "make and take" recipies that serve 6+

Postby jennc » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:14 pm

Around Thanksgiving I started taking my grandparents food every other week or so, about 6-8 things at a time that they could just heat up and serve. Both Granny and Grandpa are in their 80's and live about 5 minutes from me. Doggedly determined to stay in their house, but it is getting harder. My Grandmother has gone way down physically/mentally so everything falls on Grandpa, so this is an effort to make things easier on him. Now that I am hitting the three month mark I feel like I am repeating the same things......need some ideas. What has been working pretty well is that I am doubling some stuff that we normally eat, and packaging up the remainders for them. This means no leftovers at my house!!!

So far I have already fixed:

red beans, a few times
and white beans, a few times
spaghetti, both meatsauce and meatballs w/tomato sauce
beef stew
quiche (2 kinds)
crawfish pies
chicken a la king
a few different soups (baked potato, vegetable, chicken tortilla, corn/crab bisque)
and some other stuff I can't remember....

So I need stuff that travels well, is not too hard, and freezes well. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!
Jenn C, Lucky Mother of two!
jennc

Postby ruffages » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Here is a recipe for an Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie. It's very good and pretty easy to freeze...you just have to make sure it thaws completely before cooking:
Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie

1 lb bulk Italian sausage (I used mild and sometimes the Italian flavored turkey sausage)
1 med onion chopped
5 eggs
1 egg white
1 10 oz pkg frozen spinach thawed and well drained
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ 15 oz carton part skim ricotta cheese (I hate waste and don't use ricotta for many things but this and lasagne so I usually put the whole thing in)
½ tsp garlic powder
Pastry for a double crust 9 or 10 inch pie (I usually use Pillsbury All Ready pie crust…I also used a 10 in pan and just rolled out the crust a bit to make it fit the pan)
1 beaten egg yolk
1 tbsp water
(I also threw in about 1 cup chopped ‘shrooms…to each his own)

In a large skillet cook sausage and chopped onion for 10-15 min til sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Drain off excess fat from meat.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together whole eggs and egg white. Stir in drained spinach, mozzarella, ricotta garlic powder and meat mixture.

Line a 9 or 10 in pie pan with half of the pastry. Spread filling evenly in the pastry lined plate. Top with remaining pastry and seal and crimp edge as desired. Dut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape.

Bake pie in 375 oven for 50-55 min til golden. Cover edge with foil if necessary to prevent over browning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8-10 slices (8 is GENEROUS).

The Wild Rice Soup recipe is also really good and freezes GREAT.

Oh, this Lamb Stew I got out of Bon Appetit several years ago. It' is REALLY good:
Lamb Stew

Ingredients:

2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder or leg, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
3 TBS all purpose flour seasoned with salt and pepper
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 large onion chopped
6 cloves of garlic chopped fine
4 carrots cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 celery ribs cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3-4 small/medium potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 8oz pkg of sliced mushrooms
2 TBS packed brown sugar
1 tsp dried thyme crumbled
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
3 cups beef broth

Directions
Put flour in a ziploc bag with salt and pepper. Add the lamb close the bag and shake well to coat lamb. Ina 4-6 qt pan, heat 1 TBS of oil over moderately high heat. Brown the lamb in 2 batches transferring to another bowl. In pan, cook onion and garlic in the remaining TBS of oil stirring until softened. Add carrots, celery,potatoes, brownsugar, thyme, spices and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine broth and lamb. Simmer stew over low heat partially covered, stirring ocationally, 2 1/2 hours or until thickened and lamb is very tender. Add mushrooms at the last half hour of cooking.

Serving Suggestions
Serve over rice or egg noodles with a salad, Carolyn's standard...loaf of crunchy sourdough bread

Carolyn
ruffages

Postby Esmeralda » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:03 am

Just some suggestions of things that freeze well. I have recipes if you need them.

Meatloaf
Lasagna
Pizza Bread

This doesn't freeze well, but if they used it in a few days, it would be fine:
Chicken and Rice
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

hi

Postby holliejjj » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:33 am

I make this and it feeds a ton of people.

1 lb package of egg noodles
couple of chicken breasts
can of chicken broth
2 cans of cream of chicken soup

I bake the chicken breasts at like 400 deg in chicken broth until done. Boil the noodles until done. Then combine the chicken breasts (cut up into pieces) with the noodles and the 2 cans of cream of chicken soup.

This is easy and feeds lots of people and everytime I serve it people want the recipe.
holliejjj

Postby Mrs.K » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:42 am

Lasagna does freeze well, but is hard to break into portions. I prefer doing manicotti and shells. Those are easiest to make a lot of with the same amount of effort. I just go by the recipe on the box so no help there!
Mrs.K

Postby funnygirl » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:20 am

oh stuffed shells with spinich & cheese would be good.

enchildas

never tried freezing, but I have heard it works - beef stew or pot roast? (assemble all the ingrediants that could be cooked in the slow cooker?)
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Tina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:32 pm

sloppy Joes
barbeque ribs
meatloaf
mac & cheese
sliced roast beef w/gravy
Tina

Postby mobetsy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Here's my incredibly easy "lasagna" recipe that can be tailored to exactly the size portion you need and can be eaten right away, put in the fridge for the next day, or frozen!

Choose the size pan you want. Cover the bottom with spaghetti sauce. Put down a layer of frozen ravioli (your choice of kind). Spread with another thin layer of spaghetti sauce, then sprinkle with grated mozzarella. Put on another layer of ravioli and a final layer of spaghetti sauce. Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle on more cheese, and bake for 10 more minutes. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
mobetsy

Postby TinaMarie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:30 am

Here's a good one and it makes a lot!!

Chicken Spaghetti

3-4 boneless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 lb. spaghetti, cooked and drained
1 stick butter
1/2 c. chopped/diced onion
1 c. chicken broth
1-1/2 lb. velveeta box cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can tomato soup
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion and butter until tender - add to the cooked spaghetti. In a large saucepan - combine the soups, broth and cheese - stir over medium/low heat until melted - add the shredded chicken pieces. Add to the spaghetti and mix well. Serve with salad and garlic bread!!
Tina, mom to Brady 19, Dylan 19, Cameron 13 and Kylee 13

ImageImageImageImage
TinaMarie

Postby jennc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:00 am

bumping for steph although I am not sure how much info this has...has been awhile since I have looked at it! Maybe some people will add to it?
Jenn C, Lucky Mother of two!
jennc

Postby Stephanie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks Jenn! I don't think I will be able to get too much made before we leave tomorrow, but I will definitely be planning to make more to take the next time we visit, probably in a few weeks.
Stephanie, mom to Anna, Abby & Garrett
Stephanie

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:15 am

I have a chicken and wild rice recipe that is great and does freeze well:

Chicken and Rice
1 box wild rice
3-4 chicken breasts – cooked and chopped (can used canned to be quicker)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion – diced
1/2 bell pepper – diced
1 small can of mushrooms
1/2 pound of sausage

Cook rice according to directions. Brown the sausage and drain. Sauté peppers and onions. Mix all and bake in 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Boy am I glad this was bumped up!

We just had a hockey parent's meeting last night. One of the mom's recently found out she has breast cancer. Her husband has an almost 2 hour commute to his new job (it was take this job or not have a job) and they commute almost an hour to the rink (luckily the son catches a ride with another family). We're putting together a schedule and all the families have signed up to bring in freezable meals that they can take home with them after practices.

With this post I have lots of ideas. Whoever said manicotti shells instead of lasagna had a great idea!
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Lizzie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Lasagne Rollups...you can make them with spinach, zucchini, ricotta and mozzarella or skip the veggie version and make with chop meat or ground turkey.
Just boil the noodles per directions. I pretty much make it up as I make them.

Lasagne Rollups

10 lasagne noodles Cook noodles al dente.
Drain to get rid of moisture.
Filling: 1 lb ricotta
4 oz grated mozzarella (I USE MORE)
1/2 cup grated Ital. cheese
10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, cooked , squeezed, drained
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste (any other spices you prefer)
Sauce: Homemade, marinara or jarred sauce.

Mix filling ingredients together well. On each wide noodle place filling along entire strip leaving 1" at each end. Gently roll each noodle carefully keeping the filling inside. In a rectangular dish, cover bottom with sauce. Place roll-ups side by side. Seam side down...
Pour enough sauce over top to partially cover. Seal with foil. Bake at 375 for 45 min.
(I also sprinkle extra mozzarella on top)
Lizzie

Re: Need good "make and take" recipies that serve 6+

Postby wanda » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Bump.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Return to Garden of Eatin'