Ground Beef Thread

Ground Beef Thread

Postby Anna » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Okay, I need more ideas. I just checked the freezer and I still have a couple of packages of ground beef in there. I want to stick to my budget!

Any ideas?

Here's what's on my usual list:

nachos
meatballs
meatloaf
beef noodle thingy
tacos
burgers

Please add yours with recipes! :)
She believed she could, so she did.

Anna, mom to Stephen ("Steve" blech) 26, SHAYNE! (17) and CJ (Siege) 15

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Anna

Postby Lizzie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Shepards Pie would work since my sister gave me the recipe using ground beef (chopmeat) I use ground turkey

I don't have a real recipe....very easy
Brown the meat
Add gravy of your choice and as much as your family likes
Put meat on bottom of baking dish
Spread mashed potatos on top to cover meat
Dollop butter and put veggies (corn, peas, mixed veggies, whatever) on top
Bake at 350 till heated
Lizzie

Postby mobetsy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:19 pm

Sloppy Joes (a modified recipe from the Better Homes & Garden cookbook)

Brown 1 lb. ground beef with 1/4 cup of onion or 2 T. dried onion. Drain. Add a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 t. garlic salt (which I usually forget), 1 t. Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 c. bbq sauce, 1/4 uncooked oatmeal, 1/4-1/2 c. water. Stir, simmer, and add more water as needed for at least 15 min, but 45 won't hurt it!

Last night was the first time I'd added the bbq sauce and I really liked it. Also, I generally add a couple tablespoons of oat bran because you can't tell it's in there and it ups the fiber content.
mobetsy

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:21 pm

I usually use ground turkey but most of my recipes originally had ground beef. My recipes aren't always full of measurements though - sorry.

Shepherd's pie - I do mine like Lizzie's except with the veggies in the middle layer and mash taters on top.

Cornish pasties - brown the ground beef with onion (opt). Moisten with gravy of your choice or bouillon. mix with cooked diced potatoes and veggies (I like carrots, peas and swedes). Roll out pie dough into circles (@6-8") place some of the mixture on one half of circle, fold in half and seal. Bake at 350 until pie crust is golden brown. Serve warm or cold. I usually make a big batch and freeze a bunch for quick meals on the go.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Beef-Broccoli Squares

2 C. chopped broccoli
1 lb ground beef
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 C. chopped onion
2 C. Bisquick
½ C. cold water
¼ C. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Salt
dash pepper
½ C. milk
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400. Grease 13 x 9” baking dish. Cook broccoli until almost tender, about 5 minutes and drain thoroughly.

Cook and stir beef in 10” skillet until brown; drain. Stir in 1 ½ C. cheese and onion. Mix Bisquick, water and remaining cheese until soft dough forms; beat 20 strokes. Pat dough in dish with floured hands, pressing ½” up sides. Spread beef mixture over dough; sprinkle with broccoli. Mix remaining ingredients; pour over broccoli. Bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.

Serves 6 to 8
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Easy Taco Dinner

1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 C. water
1 package (12 oz) tortilla chips
½ head lettuce, shredded
2 med. Tomatoes, chopped
1 C. shredded cheese
Sour cream

Cook and stir ground beef and onion in skillet until beef is light brown; drain. Stir in seasoning mix and water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Spoon mixture onto chips. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream.

Serves 6.

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:22 pm

I just made a double batch of this one last week for the first time - it was yummy! (and I have 3 more in the freezer)

Enchilada Casserole

1 ½ lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup water
2-3 Tbsp chili powder
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
2 cups Salsa, divided
10 flour tortillas (7”) cut into ¾” strips, divided
1 cup light sour cream, divided
4 cups corn
4 cups (1 lb) shredded mozzarella cheese

In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Place ¼ cup salsa each in two 8” square pans. Layer each dish with a ¼ of the tortillas and ¼ cup of sour cream. Divide meat mixture, sour cream and corn between the two pans. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa and cheese.

Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. To use, thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake for 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.

Yield: 2 casseroles (4-6 servings each)

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 pm

Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

1 lb ground turkey
1 ½ C. chopped onion
1 ½ C. skim milk
3 eggs
¾ C. buttermilk baking mix
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Pre-heat oven to 400. Grease 10” pie plate. Brown ground turkey and onion, drain. Spread in plate. Beat milk, eggs and baking mix until smooth. Pour into plate. Bake 25 min. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-8 min. until cheese melted. Cool 5 min. before serving.

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 pm

burgers with a mediterranean flair

Pocket Burgers

½ tsp. Garlic powder (divided)
¼ tsp. Ground cumin
1 ½ lb ground turkey
½ C. yogurt
1/3 C. seeded, chopped cucumber
1 small diced onion
4 pita breads
1 tomato, sliced

Sprinkle ¼ tsp garlic powder and the cumin on the ground turkey. Mix lightly; shape into 4 patties. Broil 3 minutes each side.
Meanwhile, combine yogurt, cucumbers, onion and rest of garlic powder. Slit top of pita breads to open pockets. Tuck a burger and one thick tomato slice in each pocket and top with cucumber sauce.

Image Image
Linda

Postby mobetsy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:45 pm

This is a sort of chili recipe, infinitely adaptable. I usually make it meatless, but I think the original might've been with ground beef or turkey. And yes, I add oat bran to this one too :wink:

Brown and drain a pound of meat. Add 15 oz cans, with liquid, of corn, kidney beans, black beans, and diced tomatoes. Add 1 pkg. of taco seasoning and 1 pkg. ranch dressing mix. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Serve over tortilla chips; top with sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, cheese, or whatever is to your taste!
mobetsy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:06 am

Linda - you are a recipe queen!

Betsy - I think my kids would *love* that one - I'm gonna have to try it (or rather...have Jay try it 8) )
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Esther » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:10 am

Betsy that is like a recipe I had except no ranch dressing. Turns out tho that I'm the only one who will eat it, so on the rare occasions I make it, I just take individual freezer baggies, and put a single serving directly into the baggie, seal, and freeze. You can defrost a serving at a time.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Linda » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:18 am

LOL, Nancy....I typed up my recipes ages ago and printed them out to make my own cookbooks so they're all on the computer - easy to cut and paste.

Image Image
Linda

Postby CarolC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:26 am

Here are a few I use a lot:

Deep Dish Pizza Casserole

1 pound lean ground beef
1 (15 oz) can chunky Italian style tomato sauce (or two small cans Italian flavored tomato sauce)
1 (10 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust dough,
1 1/2 cup (6 oz) preshredded part skim mozzrella cheese.

Heat oven to 425. Cook meat in nonstick skillet over med.-hi heat until browned and meat is crumbled. Drain. Return meat to skillet. Add sauce and cook until heated.

Spray 13x9 baking dish, unroll dough and press into bottom and halfway up sides. top bottom of pizza with meat mixture.

Bake uncovered for 12 min. Top with cheese and bake 5 min. or until crust is browned and cheese melts. Cool 5 min. before serving.

Beef, Bean and Cheese Burritos

7 sheets 12 x 18-inch foil
7 98% fat free flour tortillas, large
16 ounces 96% lean ground round
16 ounces fat free refried beans, Old El Paso
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup 2% cheddar cheese, Kraft

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

2. Center one tortilla on each sheet of foil.

3. Brown ground beef, drain and combine beef, beans, cheese, onions and salsa.

4. Evenly spoon 1/2 cup of filling onto tortilla. Wrap burrito style and place seam side down on foil.

5. Bring up sides of foil and double fold. Double fold ends to form packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside packet.

6. Bake 15-20 minutes on cookie sheet in oven.

Layered Crockpot Enchilada Casserole

1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 lb 93% lean ground beef
Cook onion and green pepper in non-stick skillet over medium heat until translucent, stirring constantly. Add ground beef and stir until cooked.
Add 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with mexican seasoning, UNDRAINED
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 15 oz. can ranch beans (or chili beans or dark red kidney beans), undrained
1/2 to 1 small can tomato sauce
Cook on low for 10 minutes, until piping hot. Sauce should be like a thin spaghetti sauce consistency.
Spray with Pam the inside of a 3.5 quart crockpot. Layer the following in this order:

3/4 cup sauce mixture
1 fat-free flour tortillia
1/3 cup reduced fat Mexical Cheese, grated

Make 6 layers, ending with cheese. Pour any sauce remaining over the top.

Cook 6 hours on low.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
CarolC

Postby wanda » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:55 am

Here's a couple we enjoy. The Burger Bake is very similar to Linda's, but a little richer. Light products work just fine and everyone loves it. Even my mom likes the Chili Beef recipe! Something else we enjoy with burger is Hamburger Soup - just make it the same way you make your favorite vegetable soup, adding browned ground beef. I also make meatballs, saute peppers, mushrooms and onions to put in Hoagie Rolls. Top with jarred spaghetti sauce and cheese then stick in the oven until a little crusty and the cheese melts. (I split the top of the roll and fill down the center so it's easier to eat!)

Open Face Burger Bake

2 c, Bisquick
½ c. water
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. seasoned salt (garlic salt is fine)
Pepper to taste
1c. sour cream
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 c. shredded cheese
2 tb. chopped onions
2-3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
¾ c. chopped green pepper
paprika

Heat over to 350. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with pam, or just grease it. Cook beef until brown with seasoned salt and pepper. Drain grease off if necessary.

Mix sour cream, mayo, cheese and onions together. Set aside.

In another bowl mix Bisquick with water to form a soft dough – pretty soft and sticky. Pat and push into pan, pushing it ½ inch up the side of the pan. (I keep putting my fingers in additional Bisquick to help with the stickiness, but it doesn’t need to be perfect like a pie crust.)

Spread the beef mixture over the dough, sprinkle with bell pepper, and arrange the tomatoes on top. (I totally cover the top with tomatoes, and may use a 4th if they were small.) Spoon sour cream mixture over all and spread to cover. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 30-45 minutes, or until edges of dough are lightly browned. Serves 6

Chili Beef Stuffing Bake

(My personal variation of the Stove Top recipe.)

! pkg (6 oz) of Stove Top Corn Bread Stuffing Mix
¼ c. butter, cut up
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (15 oz) kidney or black beans, undrained
1 can Mexicorn
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 TB chili powder
½ tsp cumin

Mix stuffing with 1 ½ cups hot water and ¼ cup butter. Stir until mixed and just moistened. Set aside.

Brown burger with onion and drain if necessary. Stir in remaining ingredients, mix to combine and pour into baking dish (I use a square corning, probably 10 x 10 – 8 x 8 Pyrex would be too small.) Spread stuffing over top to cover and bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serves 4-6
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Sharon » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks for sharing all these tried and true recipes for hamburger. I need to think about making it more often.
Sharon

Postby Andrea040805 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Jail Food:

brown meat w/salt, pepper, and garlic

add your favorite brown gravy (I always buy the cheap crap in the packet)

Pour over mashed potatoes.

The end. LOL...

Carne Gisada con Papas

brown meat in salt, pepper, garlic, and a dash of cumin.

add a can of tomato sauce, and a tomato/chicken bullion cube (found in the "ethnic" food aisle)...add a chili (remove the seeds and membrane if its too hot..jalapeno is perfect) sliced lengthwise. peel and cube 3 or 4 potatoes (more if you want the dish to stretch)...add a few cups of water, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stiring occasionally. This is basically a mexican meat/potato stew and should have the consistency of a typical stew, just doesnt have a ton of veggies. Serve with warmed corn tortillas if eating as a soup/stew, flour tortillas if you want to make burritos. Sour cream is tasty on a burrito..Beans "en bola" (whole, not mashed or refried..just boiled in water/garlic and salt) are tasty as side to this..
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby ruffages » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:51 pm

I saw Emeril make this on Rosie one day. It's REALLY good (and kinda fun...something that'd be great to tailgate with:

Frito Pie
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 pounds beef bottom round, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup tomato paste
One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes and their liquid(I would definitely NOT use whole tomatoes but use 2-3 cans of diced tomatoes instead)
2 cups beef broth (I think I’d use a can of beef broth and a can of beer)
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup dried red beans, picked over, rinsed, cooked in salted water to cover until tender, drained and cooled (probaby the equivalent to 2 cans of drained kidney beans)
Eight 1 1/4-ounce bags Frito corn chips
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup pickled jalapeno slices, drained
Directions:
In a large, heavy, pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, season with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the cayenne, and cook, stirring, until they are wilted and golden, about 4 minutes.

Season the beef with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and add to the pot. Cook, stirring, until the beef is browned evenly on all sides, about 4 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beef broth, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, and beans.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beef is tender, about 2 hours. Skim off the fat that rises to the surface.

Open each bag of corn chips and remove half the chips. Spoon 1/2 cup of the chili and 1 tablespoon of the cheese into each bag. Return the remaining chips to each bag and add another 1/2 cup of the chili, another tablespoon of the cheese, 1 tablespoon of the sour cream, and 1 tablespoon of the jalapenos to each one. Eat right out of the bag.
ruffages

Postby ruffages » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Another all time favorite here is Pizza Burgers:

Pizza Burgers
1 ½ lb hamburger
1 can tomato soup
1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp red pepper
½ tsp oregano
1 small onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Hamburger buns
Mozzarella

Brown hamburger with onion. Add soup, paste, and spices and cook til heated thru. Open hamburger buns on a cookie sheet. Top each half with hamburger mixture and mozzarella. Put under the broiler until cheese is lightly browned.

Usually make double batches of this for the freezer.

My sloppy joe mix I got from online and supposedly is done in the microwave. I always do it on the stove top.

Sloppy Joes

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup catsup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp of chili powder
1/8 tsp of cayene pepper
4 hamburger buns

Combine onion and beef in colander, if available, or microwave casserole. Cook on High power (100%) for 3-5 minutes, stirring once or twice, to crumble the beef. Place drained onion and hamburger mixture into 2 quart casserole. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the buns. Blend well and heat on High power (100%) for about 3 minutes, or until very hot and heated through. Spoon meat mixture onto buns and serve.

Another recipe to double (or triple). Freezes GREAT.

Linda's broccoli bake recipe I've seen NUMEROUS ways. We make it here and it's called Popover Beef Bake Buckeroo

2 lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
½ Tbsp taco seasoning mix
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 cup mozzarella

Preheat oven to 400.
Brown beef and onion. Drain fat. Add taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper and sour cream. Simmer 10 minutes. Spoon into a 9x13 pan and sprinkle with cheese.

Topping
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp oil
1 cup flour
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ cup parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp parsley

Beat all ingredients until smooth. Pour over meat and top with parmesan cheese and parsley. Bake 30 minutes or until puffed and golden.

Note: I don’t name them, I just pass them on! J

You can do the same thing except omit the taco seasoning, add spaghetti sauce and call it popover pizza buckaroo.

Another idea which Chris' family LOVES...is stuffing burgers. I'll pat out two patties (still a good deal of beef :oops: ) and stuff the center with blue cheese (NO...not me...I can barely touch the stuff without smelling dirty feet). Seal the edges really well. Cook a little longer on the grill. I made them a couple times this summer and the family LOVED them.

Carolyn
ruffages

Postby ruffages » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:17 pm

Sorry to keep coming back. I remembered these from my Pampered Chef days.

Broccoli Beef Wellington (this was a Pillsbury recipe that a friend showed me...20 years ago :o but it ended up in one of my PC cook books).

l lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (9 oz.) pkg of frozen cut broccoli, thawed, drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 oz (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cans (8 oz each) Crescent roll dough
1 egg beaten
Poppy seeds, if desired

Heat oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray. In skillet, brown ground beef and onion over medium heat. Drain well.

Add broccoli, sour cream, salt and pepper; mix well. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cheese; mix well.

Unroll dough to form 1 large rectangle 13x7". Press seams together.

Spoon half of beef mixture in a 3 inch strip lengthwise down center of dough to 1/4" of each end. Bring long sides of dough over beef mixture. Pinch and seal edges.

Repeat with 2nd can of dough and remaining beef mixture. Brush both rectangles with beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seed if desired.

Bake at 375°F* for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
YUMMY!

Barbecue Beef Bundles

3/4 pound lean (90%) ground beef
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons vinegar
3 tablespoons Pantry Barbecue Seasoning Mix
3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated, divided (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup green onions with tops, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 package (17.3 ounces) grand-size flaky or buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)
1 package (10.2 ounces) grand-size flaky or buttermilk biscuits (5 biscuits)

1. Cook ground beef in large (10-inch) skillet over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350° F. In small bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar and Seasoning Mix; mix well and set aside.

3. Grate cheese. Slice green onions. Chop bell pepper. In a bowl, combine cooked beef, 1/2 cup of the cheese, green onions, bell pepper, garlic pressed with Garlic Press and half of the barbecue sauce; mix well.

4. Separate 12 biscuits and place on cutting board. (Discard remaining biscuit or set aside for another use.) Using a roller, roll each biscuit into a 5-inch disk, flouring dough as needed. Using a large scoop, divide beef mixture evenly onto center of each biscuit.

5. Gather up edges of dough over filling, pinching lightly to seal. Place biscuits, seam side down, into muffin pan. Do not press down into cup. Using serrated bread knife, cut through top of each bundle, making a crisscross pattern.

6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over bundles. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce.

Yield: 12 servings or 24 sample servings

You can probably substitute the BBQ seasoning and ketchup for the real BBQ sauce without a problem...just don't make it too runny.

The last one is a Cheeseburger Ring.

Scrumptious Cheeseburger Ring Recipe 8 servings
1 hour 30 min prep
1/4 cup onions
3/4 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
9 slices American cheese, divided
2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
16 slices dill pickles
3 large plum tomatoes
2 cups lettuce

Preheat oven to 375°F Chop onion.
In frying pan, cook ground beef with onions over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink; drain.
Add ketchup, mustard and 5 of the cheese slices, cut up; stir until cheese is melted.
Remove pan from heat.
Unroll crescent dough; separate into 16 triangles.
Arrange triangles in a circle on a 13-inch round pan or baking stone with points towards the outside.
(There should be a 5-inch diameter opening in the center.) Scoop meat mixture evenly onto widest end of each triangle.
Top each scoop with pickle slice.
Bring points of triangles up over filling and tuck under wide ends of dough at center of ring.
(filling will not be completely covered.) Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven.
Cut each of the remaining 4 cheese slices into 4 triangles.
Arrange cheese triangles over top of ring.
Slice tomatoes.
Arrange tomato slices around inside center of ring.
Slice lettuce into thin strands.
Place in center of ring.

Here's a final pic of the "ring"
http://www.recipezaar.com/100335

I've tried ALL these and they're all really good.

Carolyn
Serve with additional ketchup and mustard, if desired.
ruffages

Next

Return to Garden of Eatin'