Can you throw me some good Crockpot Recipes, puleeze?

Postby Jen O » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:46 am

Here's a very simple, but good one. Take six boneless chicken breasts, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Put in crockpot. Top with 2 cans cream of chicken soup (you can use low fat) and one can cheddar cheese soup. Cook on low 7-8 hours. You have tender chicken with a delicious cheese sauce that is great over rice, noodles or couscous.
Jen O., mommy to Sarah, 5-13-99 and Zachary, 1-27-02
Jen O

Postby Lesley » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:01 am

Well my chicken is cooking - I was cleaning it last night when Molly came to the kitchen. She was thoroughly grossed out by it and she didn't even see the giblets!!! I bought some of Chef Paul's chicken seasoning - sprinkled it generously on the chicken and on 3 potato halves, salt on the other 3 in case Molly didn't like the seasoning. We'll see!! :D
Lesley

Postby ruffages » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Bumping...found another one (Ordering Disorder)

Take several frozen chicken breasts. Throw in a crock with a jar (3 breasts=20 oz jar...go up accordingly) of salsa and a drained can of black beans. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, high for 3-4. Shred chicken and add a can of corn (I used shoepeg) and heat for another 30 min or so (til corn is heated thru.

Serve on tortilla chips (I used lime...I wouldn't recommend as there is a bit of moisture and the chip goes limp quickly) with shredded cheese and sour cream. Even the kids ate.

Had enough leftover (when I stripped a rotisserie chicken too) to add 1 can southwestern black beans (flavored with cumin and oregano) a can of diced green chilis (I'd have done jalapenos if the kids would eat them) and mix well. Roll up inside flour tortilla (this made about 10).

Mix 2 cans cream of chicken (I used fat free) with 2 cans of green chili enchilada sauce. Pour some in the bottom of the pan and the rest over the top. Cover and bake for about 30 min at 350. REmove foil add cheese and bake another 10 min til cheese is melted. These were REALLY good.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Tina » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:06 am

This past week I tried two new crockpot recipes and they were *huge* hits. Very easy to throw together in the morning and not one complaint - can't beat that!

Beef Paprika
2# chuck cut into 1" cubes
Brown in shortening and put in crockpot
Throw in:
1 cup sliced onion
1 clove chopped garlic
3/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 cup water
Mix all together, put on lid and cook 8 hrs. on low.

Blend 1/4 cup water and 2 Tbsp. flour. Gradually stir into meat mixture.

Serve over noodles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crockpot Meatloaf

Mix 3 large russet potatoes cut into 1" chunks with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and spread evenly in bottom of crockpot.

Mix gently 2# ground sirloin, 2 large eggs beaten, 3/4 cup crushed saltines, 3/4 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp chopped onion and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Shape into oval and place on top of potatoes.

Mix 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, and spread over the top of the meatloaf.

Cook 8 hours on low.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby April » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 am

Yum, Tina! I will certainly be trying this one, but omitting the flour in favor of corn starch. I want Alex to be able to eat it. Thanks for posting this!

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:35 am

My DH cooks crockpot 3-4 times a week. Chilie and ham/beans are regulars. Here's a couple of his others that are great:

Pork Chops
Brown chops (trim fat first)
Toss in crockpot
Dump in 2 cans of chicken & rice soup
Slice onions and put on top
Stick a couple of celery stalks in

The first round of this, the pork chops fall of the bone. The sauce is yummy over rice. He makes enough for 2 "rounds" - the first is meat the second comes out almost like a stew (since the big pieces are gone)

Cube Steak
Brown cube steak
Toss in crockpot
Mix a packet of mushroom gravy by directions (with water). Pour over
Slice onions and drop in.

You see a trend with him? Meat + soup + onions. Is simple, but very good.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby April » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:01 am

Nancy, my ds LOVES meat and stews! I like these recipes! Have you tried throwing in some veggies, like carrots or potatoes?

~~The Fray

April

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:29 am

DH doesn't really on these two, but you sure could. Oh wait - he threw dried chick peas on the pork chops last time and it was great.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Sue » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:33 am

I don't have a crock pot, but I have a group of friends who swear by this recipe --

Deli Chicken

Buy the biggest fryer you can find that will fit into your crockpot. Spray inside of crockpot with Pam or other pan release (I hate to scrub off baked-on food)

Scrunch up a piece of aluminum foil and put it in the bottom of the pot. This will act as a "rack." It is amazing how much liquid can be released from one chicken and this will keep the chicken from stewing in its own juice.

Pull out all the giblets, etc. from inside the chicken. Wash, pat dry, and rub all over with olive oil. Sprinkle inside and out with Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

Place chicken in the pot on top of the foil. Cook on low for approximately 8 hours. My pot turns off and keeps the contents warm after the set amount of time.

Chicken will resemble a whole rotisserie chicken like the ones you buy at the deli counter. Lift out of pot and carve as you wish. It will be cooked to perfection and will be tender and moist.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby Sue » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:38 am

Here's another recipe from the same group who love the Deli chicken. Again, I can't personally vouch for these, but a group of really smart, wise and funny women love these recipes!!

THREE-PACKET ROAST

1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
1 packet dry Italian dressing mix
1 packet dry brown gravy mix
1 beef roast (I used a boneless chuck roast)

Place the roast in a crockpot. I spray the pot first with pan coating.
Sprinkle dry mixes over the roast. Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the pot. Cover. Cook on low 7 hours. Longer is OK also.
Mine went for about 10 hours because my husband forgot to turn it off.

Note: The first time I made this, I used my smaller non-programmable crockpot. The second time, I used my larger pot with a bigger roast and set it for 8 hours on low. Then it sat for a while on warm until I came home from work. I didn't think it was quite as good. Perhaps the larger roast would have needed two packets of each seasoning.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby April » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:39 am

Yummo, Sue! I have to try that one. Much healthier than sitting in the juice, too.

~~The Fray

April

Re: Can you throw me some good Crockpot Recipes, puleeze?

Postby wanda » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Bump....
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Previous

Return to Garden of Eatin'