Can you throw me some good Crockpot Recipes, puleeze?

Can you throw me some good Crockpot Recipes, puleeze?

Postby April » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:36 pm

I am going to start using my crockpot to make dinners a few nights a week. I can put it in in the morning (while at work) and let is cook all day. Then bring it home to eat, because it is hard getting dinner ready after working until 5:30.

Soooo, can you post some delicious crockpot recipes, please?

Pretty please, with sugar on top? :mrgreen:

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Tina » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:54 pm

My whole family absolutely *loves* this recipe. The kids ask me to make it! I've even served it to company and they loved it as well. Trust me on this one.

Crockpot Sauerbraten

Ingredients
4 pound chuck roast (I've also used top round)
salt & pepper
2 onions, sliced
1 can condensed beef broth (10 3/4 ounces)
1/3 cup liquid brown sugar (I microwave brown sugar to liquify)
1/3 cup cider vinegar
8 gingersnaps
1 package noodles

Directions:
Sprinkle roast on all sides with salt & pepper. Place roast in crockpot, add onion, broth, brown sugar & vinegar. Cover tightly, cook 5-6 hours on high (I'm gone all day so I cook it 9 hours on low). Remove roast & set aside. Add crumbled gingersnaps to the sauce in the crockpot. Stir until sauce thickens. Slice meat and serve sauce over slices. Serve with noodles.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Tina » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:00 pm

Just thought of some more ideas.

Anna's Dang Chicken is delicious. I've also thrown ribs & barbeque sauce in there for something easy. Sloppy Joes. Beef stew. Homemade soups.

I use the crockpot alot, and I'll tell you it is so nice walking into the house after getting home from work to the wonderful smells and dinner all done!
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby wanda » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:01 pm

You absolutely cannot beat Anna's chiicken recipe. It's really moist and never stringy. The notes are mine:

Anna’s Dang Chicken **excellent

Throw the whole dang chicken in the crockpot, breast side up. Make sure you rinse it well first though, and take out the yucky stuff. Sprinkle it generously with chicken seasoning (McCormick is good). Wash and half 6-7 red potatoes, sprinkle season salt and dill on the open ends, and place around the outside of the crockpot open end up. Set crock pot to low, and cook all day. Yum! If you like onion, you can peel a medium onion and put it inside the bird.

If you are lucky and have any chicken left, freeze it and save it for home made chicken soup in the crock.

**I put an onion inside the chicken and several cut in wedges were tossed in with the potatos, also tossed in some fresh mushrooms and baby carrots.

I used Montreal Chicken seasoning. Thought I sprinkled generously, but could have used more – was good with it added at the table though. I didn’t have dill, used basil instead.

This is easy and pretty good:

CAMPFIRE SAUSAGE AND POTATO SOUP **

Very good – sort of a chili flavor. I double all EXCEPT the sausage and it’s just fine!

1 can (15 1/2 oz) dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed beef broth, undiluted
8 oz kielbasa (italian sausage) link, cut lengthwise into halves, then crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large baking potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp sugar
1 to 2 tsps ground cumin

Combine all ingredients, except cumin, in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Stir in cumin; serve. Makes 6 or 7 servings.

I have several more in a cookbook, but they aren't typed up.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby ruffages » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Last week I threw 5-6 chicken breasts in the crockpot withnothing more than taco seasoning. (and they were frozen it was around 3pm). I cooked them on high until we went to bed then turned it down to low. I shredded the meat and we made chicken burritos/taco/salad from them. I had a good 3 cups left and used the remainder for Jenn's Tortilla Soup.

I love meals where I can make one thing one day and something completey different with the leftovers another day.

Another SUPER easy thing to do is to take a chuck roast (defrosted...don't attempt it frozen unless you do it overnight on low) top with only a pk of onion soup mix. Makes a super easy pot roast. Then we shred the meat and use it for hot beefs (you can add bbq sauce if you want). If your crock is big enough you could potentially do one roast of dinner one night, then save the other for hot beefs the next (we just eat them on dollar buns with horseradish no bbq sauce). Or you could shred and add taco seasoning to make burritos.

My MIL, when she has alot of potroast leftover, grinds it with a food grinder with potatoes and onions and makes hash.

These are all easy no brainers... that don't require you to do anything but...uh...set it and foggetit...LOL.

Carolyn
ruffages

Postby April » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:28 am

thanks, everyone! I am trying Anna's chicken today and I will let you know how it came out.

Tina, I am going to try the Sauerbraten next week as I didn't get to get all the ingredients this weekend. Sounds delish!

~~The Fray

April

Postby Melanie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:40 am

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

I've tried several from there and have liked them all ;)
If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart
How can you have too many children? That's like saying there are too many flowers
[url=http://www2.fertilityfriend.com/home/43b9f]Image
[/url]Image
Melanie

Postby mobetsy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 pm

A few weeks ago some of us were discussing favorite recipes from the cookbook "Fix It and Forget It"...I recommend the book a lot! Here's one I fixed Saturday; very yummy, sort of like a very simple stew.

Hamburger Potatoes
Brown and drain a pound of ground beef. Mix in crockpot along with:
2-3 potatoes sliced (recipe calls for 3, but I thought 2 was plenty; I cut potato lengthwise before slicing)
2 carrots, sliced
1 small onion, diced (I used dried onion)
2 T. rice (I have no clue why this is in here!)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1.5-2 cups tomato juice

Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
mobetsy

Postby Esther » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:44 pm

I make roast beef and beef stew all the time with my slow cooker.

The recipe is pretty much the same both ways.

either beef stew cubes (a lb or two)
or a small roast (3-4#'s, max)
1 envelope of Lipton's beef onion soup
2 cups water
1 can/jar of beef gravy
4-5 potatoes, washed, peeled, cut up into chunks
carrots cut up (I usually just throw in a small bag of baby carrots)
onion, cut up into chunks
optional, toss in a glass of red wine or cooking sherry (I usually do this halfway thru but you probably could add it at the start)

(of course you can substitute or add other veggies if you like)

Put everything in the slow cooker, sprinkle with pepper and salt

If you're making the roast, maybe 1 hour before you're planning to eat, we like to take out the roast and shred it into smaller pieces, that way it cooks more tender, etc.

You could also add more seasoning beyond the salt/pepper.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Andrea040805 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:07 pm

We dont use our crock pot terribly often, but when we do, its to crock pot a roast...add a pack of lipton onion soup and like 1/4 cup water...makes the best taco meat.
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby Lesley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:43 am

Anna's chicken recipe - no liquid added in the crock pot??
Lesley

Postby April » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 am

no. Lesley, i wondered the same thing. strangely enough, this cooks fine and makes it's own yummy juices.

~~The Fray

April

Postby April » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:15 am

i discovered a few new faves if anyone is interested. crockpot ground beef stew and meatball soup. i can post the recipes if you wish.

~~The Fray

April

Postby Lesley » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks April! :)
Lesley

Postby RhondaS » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Post away, April! I'm always trying to find the one good crock pot recipe that my kids will like. Ben worries everytime I get the thing out. :D

One of the things they do like is cubed steak in the crock pot. I make just like I'm baking it. Brown the steaks, then put in the crock with a couple of cans of cream soup and some onions and seasoning. Cook all day on low. I serve it with either mashed potatoes or noodles and use the gravy.
Rhonda, mom of Ryan 21, Ben 16, Sami 14
RhondaS

Postby sarah » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:48 pm

RhondaS wrote:Post away, April! I'm always trying to find the one good crock pot recipe that my kids will like. Ben worries everytime I get the thing out. :D

LOL! Sounds like our house :rofl:
Sarah, mom to 4 bookworm girls! J-16, L-15, K-12, I-10

sarah

Postby Cheryl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:11 pm

We had a curry chicken tonight that was wonderful! 6 chicken boneless breasts in the bottom. Then combine 1 1/2 cup plain croutons, 1 large chopped apple, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/2 cup raisin, 2 tsp curry powder and 2 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 apple juice (I used apple cider) 1 tsp salt (skipped this) 1 tsp black pepper (used maybe 1/8 tsp) combine and cover chicken. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8.
Cheryl

Postby April » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 am

Here you go!

The ground beef stew I was a bit skeptical about, but it is really good!

1 1/2-2 lbs ground beef
2 cloves garlic
1 med onion

2-3 potatoes, diced
1 cup baby carrots
1-1/2 c mixed veggies
1 can tomatoes, any style
2 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

sautee ground beef, I like to do it so the pieces are big and not fine and crumbly. Add garlic and onions until clear. Transfer into crockpot and add remaining ingredients except the mixed veggies. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, then add veggies for another 30 min.

This is really good served with rice or egg noodles, or in a bowl by itself. Fresh baked bread to dip in the sauce is ideal!

**One thing I do (I learned from Tina :wink: ) Is to save ant leftover veggies at dinnertime and put them all in the freezer in a dish so I can use those for this stew. You never have to throw veggies away again!

Meatball soup

2 quarts water
20 small meatballs
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 cubes beef bouillon cube
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup elbow macaroni or other favirite pasta

Pour water into crockpot and add meatballs, tomato sauce, bouillon, oregano, basil, thyme, salt and pepper to taste, celery, carrots, and garlic, and cook on low 4-6 hours.

Add cooked pasta and heat through. Top with parmesan cheese to serve. Great with fresh bread!

~~The Fray

April

Postby wanda » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:03 am

April wrote:The ground beef stew I was a bit skeptical about, but it is really good!

It sounds a lot like what I call "Hamburger Soup", except the noodles are cooked in the broth. A neighbor of ours used to fix it when I was growing up and I crave it once in a while. I do mine on the stovetop though.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby April » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:20 am

I've also done it on the stove too and it comes out fine.

~~The Fray

April

Next

Return to Garden of Eatin'