The Soup Thread

The Soup Thread

Postby Heba » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Please post your soup recipes here! I love soup, but need inspiration!
Heba

Postby Lisa » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:24 pm

thanks Heba..we need a centeral location for all the soups!! :grin:

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Lisa
Queen Mother

Postby Heba » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:53 am

Here's my lentil soup recipe - it's quite basic but it has served me well for many years!

Chop and fry an onion, then add a crushed clove of garlic. Chuck in a chopped carrot, a chopped potato, and a chopped stick or two of celery (you don't need to add all these veggies if you don't have them), and some red lentils. Fill up the saucepan with water and a good veggie stock cube or two. Add some oregano (or other similar herb), stir it all up, let it simmer until done.

Lisa...your turn!
Heba

Postby wanda » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:16 am

Pasta Fazoli

1 ½ c. dried Northern Beans (2 cans works equally as well)
1 lb. Bulk Italian sausage
2 med. Onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 28 oz. Chopped tomatoes
2 – 14 oz cans Italian Chicken Broth
1 c. ditalini pasta
1 box chopped spinach
Italian Seasoning to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Sauté sausage, onions and garlic until browned. Drain oil if there is too much. Add all remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Return to a boil and add pasta. Cook until tender.

Serve with cheese sprinkled on top.

Note...I add another 2-3 small cans regular chicken broth because we like it soupier.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby ruffages » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:22 pm

OH...I LOVE soups and will snag any recipe that looks enticing. I used to HATE beans (great northern, kidney, black, etc). Then I found a recipe for White Chili in the San Jose Merc News and made it. OMG, best chili you've ever had. Since then, I've found recipes for about 4 different chilis.
Cuban Black Bean Soup, The BEST Tasting Chili You've ever Tasted (yes, that's the name and it lives up to it's title), White Chili, Cincinnati Chili and the White Chili. It's all on my other computer so be prepared to be bombarded.

Jenn...I have a crock full of shredded chicken from tacos yesterday...I'm off to make your tortilla soup.

Carolyn
ruffages

Postby mobetsy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:44 pm

I made this potato soup in the crock pot a week ago, and it was great. I sort of combined several recipes I found, as I wanted both low fat and crock pot.

1 onion, chopped (I used up half an onion and the rest dried onion)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, diced
2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can evaporated milk (thicker than nonfat milk)
3/4 cup potato flakes

Put all but milk and potato flakes in crockpot and let cook on low for about 8 hours. Stir in milk and potato flakes and heat for 20-30 minutes longer. If you want a thicker soup (I did), before adding milk and potato flakes, take some of the soup and puree it in the blender, then add it back in. Top with chives, cheese, bacon bits, or whatever you like!
mobetsy

Postby ruffages » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 am

OK, I'm back at my own computer. These are my all time favorites, but consider...it's ALOT of bean recipes (LOL...for those of you with floating sheets already).

Cuban Black Bean Soup
20 oz dry black beans, rinsed (I've used just 1 lb and it's fine)
3 quarts plus 3 cups beef broth, divided (yes, this is ALOT of beef stock, so I ended up using the Beef Broth concentrate you purchase in jars at Sams...it is STILL salty, but not near as salty as boullion. And usually I only cook the beans in it...I use Swanson's stock for the 3 qt part but you could probably use the concentrate for both. JUST DON'T add additional salt as the ham with the stock will be salty enough)
4 tbsp olive oil
3 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped green pepper
1 large carrot, chopped
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 large bay leaves
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
3-4 lbs smoked ham hocks (I used 3-4 nice ham shanks and it worked better...not as fatty)
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
rice cooked with saffron (or you can use tumeric to make the rice a nice yellow color that works well with the bean soup), for serving
lime wedges, for serving

In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine beans with 3 cups of beef broth. Cover pot and boil beans 30 minutes, adding water if the beans become dry. Turn off heat and let beans stand in pot 1 hour.

Heat olive oil in ANOTHER large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and green pepper. Saute til onion is translucent and pepper is soft. Stir in carrot, garlic powder, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, pepper flakes and pepper. combine ingredients evenly, cover pan and cook 2-3 minutes.

Add 3 quarts of beef broth, beans with their liquid, and ham hocks/shanks. Bring soup to simmer, then reduce heat slightly. Cover pot and simmer, stirring often, until ham begins to fall of the bones, about 1 1/2-2 hours. Remove hocks/shanks and cool. Pull all meat off bones, shred (I do leave some nice chunks...I like it meaty) and return to pot. and continue simmering. Simmer the soup for a total of 3 hours covered and at least one hour uncovered. Stir sherry and vinegar into soup. Serve over saffron rice with lime wedges.

The recipe says it makes 3 quarts but I'd say it's more like 5 quarts. This is AWESOME.

White Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb of Great Northern Beans soaked overnight
2 lbs boneless chicken breasts
6 cups chicken stock
2 medium onions chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2-4oz cans green chilis(here is where you play...I like mine spicier so I have used 1 can green chilis 1 can chopped jalepenos...or if I can get some good fresh jalapenos, I'll use 4 fresh, but you have to test these...I've made it with fresh ones that had NO spice to them, you want at least 1-2 with a little kick to them)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 TBS olive oil
3 cups grated Monteray Jack cheese
Sour Cream
Salsa
Fresh Cilantro

Directions
Sautee onions in oil 'til translucent. Add garlic, chilis and spices and sautee 2 minutes. Add stock and drained beans and cook 'til beans are done ~2 hours. While beans are cooking cut chicken into 3/4 inch cubes. When beans are done (~2 hours), put chicken in. Cook 5-10 minutes til chicken is done. Add 1-2 cups of cheese and stir til completely melted.

Serving Suggestions
Serve in bowls topped with the remaining cheese, salsa and a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. I serve this with chili-cheese cornbread and beer (especially if I got a hold of some "nice" peppers)

White Bean Soup with Thyme

1 lb white beans soaked overnight and drained
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
Ham (I use the left overs from a dinner ham, usually throwing in the whole bone and any extras but you can use a slice finely chopped or a ham hock)
2 cans (13 oz) chicken stock
1 qt water
2 tsp fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
pinch off crushed red pepper or to taste (don’t forgo this…it gives it the TINIEST bit of bite)
salt and freshly ground pepper

Rinse beans and set aside. Heat oil in a large pot and add the onions, carrots and chopped ham (when I’m using a ham bone, I wait and add the ham with the stock). Cook over medium heat stirring often until onions are translucent.

Add stock, beans, thyme, crushed red pepper, black pepper (and ham if using a ham hock or bone) and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Let soup simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the beans are falling apart. Lift the ham out of the pot, discard fat and bone and cut meat into shreds and return the meat to the pot. If you want to thicken the soup, puree 2 cups in the blender and return to the simmering pot. Taste for seasoning and add salt if necessary.

The Best Chili You Will Ever Taste

OK...This is one of those recipes that you can monkey with. I have a little...but have kept it for the most part complete.
2 teaspoons oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1lb lean ground beef
3/4lb beef sirloin, cubed (I add more Keep the cubes small though...about 1/2-3/4 in)
1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes (I sometimes add another can)
1 can dark beer (I like to use red...Killians, Leiny Red, Or Summit Pale Ale if I have it)
1 cup strong coffee (People who REALLY dislike coffee claim to be able to taste it. I love coffee and I really can't. Leave it in, or take it out)
2 (6 ounces) cans tomato paste
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa (True chili is made with unsweetened chocolate and NO tomatoes...this combines the two and is in small quantities...YOU WON'T TASTE IT)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounces) cans kidney beans (IMO this is WAY WAY too many beans. I think 2 cans are ample)
4 chili peppers, chopped (I've used serrano and jalapeno. It will give you different heat)

1.Heat oil.
2.Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
3.Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
4.Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
5.Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
6.Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Here is that Wild Rice Soup I made for my friend...It's REALLY good.
Wild Rice Soup
6 Tbsp butter
¼ cup minced onion
½ cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 cup chopped ham
1 cup cooked chopped chicken ( I usually cook the chicken IN the soup)
½ cup grated (or chopped fine) carrots
3 Tbsp slivered almonds
½ tsp salt (not really necessary with the ham and stock)
1 cup half and half
2 Tbsp dry sherry

Melt butter in saucepan; sautee onion til tender. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute.
Stir in ham, rice chicken, carrots, almonds, and salt; simmer 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry. Heat to serving temp.

I usually double.

Note: 1 cup uncooked rice=3-4 cups cooked. 1 cup wild rice, tsp salt in 4 cups water. Simmer 45-55 min. (I like to kick up the flavor of the rice so I cook it in chicken stock. OR I use left over wild rice dressing from T-giving...making extra so that I can freeze and just throw in this soup)

My Cinncinati Chili recipe isn't on the computer so I'll post it later.

Oh and here is a recipe for a really good corn bread. It is almost cake like in consistancy...it's so light:
California Corn Bread
Preheat oven to 350.
2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
Mix well.
Add:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

Blend until the mixture is smooth. Poor into a greased 8-inch baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.

Hope that helps somone.

Carolyn
ruffages

Postby Lizzie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:56 am

wanda wrote:Pasta Fazoli

1 ½ c. dried Northern Beans (2 cans works equally as well)
1 lb. Bulk Italian sausage
2 med. Onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 28 oz. Chopped tomatoes
2 – 14 oz cans Italian Chicken Broth
1 c. ditalini pasta
1 box chopped spinach
Italian Seasoning to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Sauté sausage, onions and garlic until browned. Drain oil if there is too much. Add all remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Return to a boil and add pasta. Cook until tender.

Serve with cheese sprinkled on top.

Note...I add another 2-3 small cans regular chicken broth because we like it soupier.

Oooooh, yummmmm! I am making my shopping list now! 8)
Lizzie

Postby Tina » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:06 am

Lizzie wrote: Oooooh, yummmmm! I am making my shopping list now! 8)

I just did the same thing and had to laugh when I saw your post. Great minds think alike! :D
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:48 am

Here's an easy peasy recipe

Chicken & Rice

1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 bag of cooked rice
2 cooked chicken breasts, cut up (or can use canned chicken).

Heat it all up - salt and pepper to taste. Quick and good.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Re: The Soup Thread

Postby wanda » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Bump...
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Return to Garden of Eatin'