Leftover Turkey Recipes - anyone?

Leftover Turkey Recipes - anyone?

Postby wanda » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:10 pm

We're on our last night of leftover turkey. Anyone have a favorite recipe other than the standard turkey soup or turkey divan?
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby jane » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:33 pm

Wanda, one night I shredded ours, added some taco seasoning packet and water on the stove, and put it into tortillas with veggies and cheese. Uninspired, but easy.

If you want comfort food, do you know the leftover meat/pasta/mushroom soup recipe?

I'm pretty sure it's one cup of dry elbow macaroni, one can cream of mush soup, one can of milk, 1 cup or more cubed cooked turkey, ham, or chicken, and one cup of shredded cheese. Also 1/2 chopped onion, salt and pepper. Let it sit a few hours before baking or overnight, it blends better. Bake one to 1 1/2 hours at 350, easy comfort casserole.

I also froze some to use in the white chicken chili recipe Janet posted earlier. Good luck!
jane

Postby mobetsy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Turkey Burritos (modified from Sunset 11/93)
15 oz. can black beans
1 T. dried minced onion
1 ½ c. regular strength chicken broth
or 1 ½ c water & 2 t. chicken boullion granules
½ t. chili powder
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 ½ tsp. anise seed
2 c. small chunks cooked turkey
6 lg. flour tortillas
Mix onion, broth, chili powder, brown sugar, and anise seed. Simmer and stir, 5 minutes, until sugar is thoroughly dissolved. Add black beans, drained, and mash gently; simmer 30-60 minutes. Add turkey. Stir gently until hot. Spoon onto warm tortillas; add salsa, yogurt, cheese, etc. to taste. Makes 6 servings.
mobetsy

Postby wanda » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:07 pm

Both of those sound much better than what I ended up making (kids kicked me off the computer). I made pasta with turkey, mushrooms, tomatos, garlic and onions - a Publix recipe. It was seasoned with lots of basil and oregano but still tasted bland. I swear their recipes always look so good, even taste good in the store, but aren't the best when I cook at home.

Betsy, I'm going to try the burritos with some of the frozen later on. Jane, I'll also try the comfort casserole. I really have no great leftover reicpes because there's usually just enough for a couple days dinner and/or sandwiches. Other than scraps for soup, it's usually gone before we're tired of it. I bought at the wrong time this year and they didn't have a lot to choose from. This turkey was a little larger than I usually buy for the 4 or us - 18 1/2 lbs.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby mobetsy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 pm

The turkey burritos are really, really good, and best of all, they taste like their own unique food, not leftover turkey made up in yet another way!
mobetsy

Re: Leftover Turkey Recipes - anyone?

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 am

bump for Tina
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Re: Leftover Turkey Recipes - anyone?

Postby Tina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 4/23
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Return to Garden of Eatin'