Holiday Appetizers?

Holiday Appetizers?

Postby Tammy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:26 am

I am hosting family Christmas Eve, and we have decided to do a BUNCH of fun appetizers instead of a traditional meal. Here are some of the things I have planned, but am looking for more ideas. What is your favorite appetizer? Please feel free to share a recipe, but just a general description is fine, too.

So far I am planning:
Cuban pulled pork sliders
Steak crostini with goat cheese and caramelized onions
Chicken, Bell pepper, & pineapple kabobs
Fried ravioli with marinara
Mini mozzarella grilled cheese with marinara
Coconut shrimp
Mini quiches &/or deviled eggs
Cucumber bowls filled with seafood salad
Dips (types TBD)
Veggies for dipping
Potato chips
Pita chips
Apple pie bites
Chocolate cookies (type TBD)
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Re: Holiday Appetizers?

Postby erin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:40 pm

I love this dip with fruit. (Just apples work well you don't need a ton of fruit varieties) and for the cinnamon, I just use regular cinnamon not the pampered chef brand specifically. http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_product ... peId=30128
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Tammy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks, Erin! That sounds delicious.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby wanda » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 am

Shrimp Spread - cream cheese, top with cocktail sauce and tiny shrimp and a sprinkle of parsley. Serve with crackers. You can soften the cream cheese, seasoning with horseradish, Worcestershire and onion, or just keep it simple. Had a friend who also minced shrimp to stir in.

I also saw a cheese ball recipe on pinterest the other day that was made to be prepared three ways, Martha Stewart, I think. Look for three way cheese ball.

Chutney Spread - Soften 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. of cream cheese - spread onto serving plate. Spread 1/2 jar Mango Chutney almost to edge of cream cheese. Spread 1/2 cup shaved coconut on the chutney, then chopped salted peanuts. Top with diagonally snipped green onions.

Chicken & Cranberry Spread - It is just a lemon pepper rotisserie chicken pulled apart, mayo, lots of pepper, cumin, lemon juice and dried cranberries. Make little sandwiches or serve with crackers.

Balsamic Marinated Olives

2 – 6 ounce cans ripe olives, drained
12 ounces kalamata olives, drained
16 ounces pimento stuffed green olives, drained
½ cup olive oil
* ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1TB Italian Seasoning

Combine all ingredients and chill at least 8 hours. The olive oil congeals, so let them stand 30 minutes or so at room temperature before serving.
* If you really like Balsamic, you can eliminate the red wine vinegar using ½ cup balsamic. It is a much stronger taste. I always buy the pitted olives and it seems to be a hit.

Feta Spread

1 block of Macedonian Feta
Handful of fresh chopped herbs – Oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary
1 Red Chili Chopped and diced
zest of 1/2 lemon
Cracked pepper

Arrange feta on a small platter or dinner plate, sprinkle herbs, chili, lemon zest and pepper and drizzle with loads of olive oil. Serve with warm crusty bread.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Tammy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:57 am

Thanks, Wanda! These all sound sooo good! And my mom loves feta cheese, so that one will be a must.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Brie Cheese Wheel. If you want the recipe I can get it for you, but it is a wheel of Brie cheese, topped with brown sugar, pecans, and brandy, and then baked for about 20 minutes. Serve with crackers. It is divine. Or you can use the brie wheel and put sliced apples, almonds, cinnamon on top and bake it. Wonderful as well.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Tina » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 2/17/14
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Return to Garden of Eatin'