Lasagna recipes please!

Lasagna recipes please!

Postby Heba » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:58 am

I want to make a couple of different lasagnas on Wednesday, when I have people coming round for a quiz evening. The only kind I can make is lentil lasagna (which is yummy - I might do that and one other one).

Please, please, please give me your recipes! The last time I tried to make lasagnas for guests I made two quite revolting ones.

Vegetarian, meaty, white sauce, tomato-based, I don't care! As long as it's tried and tested.

Thank you!
Heba

Postby Linda » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:11 am

I make an easy white-veggie lasagne.

Pre-cook 1 package of lasagne noodles. Make a white sauce (2 c. of milk, 1 tbsp. butter and 2 tbsp. flour). Let cool slightly. Mix together 10 oz frozen chopped broccoli (or 10oz drained chopped spinach), 1 lb ricotta or cottage cheese, 1 C. shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/4 C. grated parmesan cheese. Layer the noodles, cheese and sauce repeating until all are used in a 15 x 10 or 13 x 9 pan. Cook for 45-55 minutes at 350 F.

Can be prepared ahead and refrigerated or frozen. It actually cuts better if chilled before cooking.

My red sauce lasagne is a meat one and easy also. I substitute tinned pasta sauce for the white sauce and browned ground turkey for the veggies. Otherwise the same recipe.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:51 am

I usually just make bolognaise sauce and layer it with cheesy bechamel sauce and lasagne noodles, ending with the bechamel and a sprinkling of grated cheese. I just follow the recipe on the pasta box for the bechamel sauce. This is also good with veges - I just cook up a whole lot of veges and tomatoes and do the same thing.
Sally
Mummy to Cameron ( 11) and Helen (9)

There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.- George Sand

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:52 am

Actually you've just reminded me that I haven't made Lasagne for ages, and I should make it!
Sally

Sally

Postby Sally » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:52 am

Another thought! You can use ricotta cheese instead of bechamel - just as yummy, simpler, and lower carb.
Sally

Sally

Postby Lisa » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:13 am

I make lasagna roll-ups. Its just your traditional lasagna but I take the noodle put the layers on it and then roll it up. The kids like having their own piece!

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Lisa
Queen Mother

Postby Sally » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:45 am

Made lasagne for dinner tonight and finished the leftovers tonight, yummy! thanks for reminding me! (even though I shouldn't have, because of the carbs, oh well...)

Have you decided what you're having yet?
Sally

Sally

Postby wanda » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:48 am

I know it's Wednesday, but I forgot to get back to this. Here's a Chicken-Cheese Lasagna recipe everyone around here loves. It's pretty easy.

Chicken-Cheese Lasagna

1/2 c. combination of Olive Oil and butter (I use 50/50)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp salt
2 c. milk
2 c. chicken broth
2 c. shredded mozzarella (8 oz)
1/2 c. shredded parmesan (I use parmesan and romano mixed)
1 med onion, chopped
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
12 lasagna noodles, cooked
24 oz container cottage cheese (I sometimes substitute a little ricotta)
2 c. cooked and diced chicken
2 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thaw and drain well
1/2 c. additional parmesan

Heat oils in a 2 QT pan and lightly saute garlic. Stir in flour and salt. Cook and stir until bubbly and remove from heat. Stir in milk and chicken broth, mixing until smooth. Return to heat, and cook until boiling while stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Add mozzarella cheese, 1/2 c. parmesan, onion and spices. Cook until cheese melts and remove from heat.

Put approximately 1 1/2 c. sauce in an ungreased 13 x 9 pan, top with 4 noodles, and half the cottage cheese. Repeat with 1 1/2 c. sauce, 4 noodles and remaining cottage cheese. Top this with all the chicken and spinach, 1 1/2 c. sauce, remaining noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. parmesan.

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. (Can make ahead and refrigerate or freeze. Thaw, if frozen, and bake as normal allowing a little more time.)
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Viola » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:52 am

This is the lasagne I made for dinner

Buy cheap pasta sauce.

Cook up some pumpkin and mash it

Mix pumpkin and pasta sauce and use as you would any bolognaise sauce. (Maybe add fresh herbs??)

You can make vegan bechamel sauce by getting about 1/2 a tbl spoon of Marg and mixing it with about the same amount of corn flour and then adding soy milk. Bring to a boil, then turn it down to low. Season it with salt and peper.

Are you sick of my recipes yet Heba? They are just so random and hard to comprehend. I like to think of them as "ideas" not recipes.
Viola

Mother, Midwife, Motor Mechanic
Viola

Postby Heba » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:53 am

Vi, I will never be sick of your recipes!

Sally, I did my lentil one in the end (it's like yours but with brown lentil bolognaise sauce, not meat) and one which is pretty much like Wanda's but without meat (I saw someone eating it in the staffroom at work, and asked them for the recipe).

I wasn't sure how popular a lentil lasagna would be with non-vegetarians, so I did the spinach-cheesy one and made it bigger because I thought everyone would eat *that* one. But everyone went for the lentil one. Two thumbs up for lentils! They work so well in lasagna and mousaka - the combination works really well.
Heba

Postby Sally » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:48 am

Heba it's funny the carnivores always go for the vegetarian options - as my vegetarian friends always complain, because then there's nothing left for them.
Sally

Sally

Postby Maelyn » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:35 am

I occasionally do a veggie version that the kids actually eat so it must be good :lol:

There are no noodles in this because it's Kosher for Passover.

Take zucchini and slice ultra thin (this will be the noodle base).

Mix 1/2 c riccota and 1/2 c low fat cottage cheese (if you want less fat go more towards the cottage cheese). If you want a cheesier lasagna mix up more - we don't do much dairy here and this is a mega treat for the boys.

Take canned spinnach and drain thouroughly!. Wash and drain again and then pat dry. Chop into small pieces and mix into the cheese mixture.

Cut carrots and broccoli into small thin pieces.

For sauce I use a standard maranara from a can (Bertolli or Preggo but any will do) to cut down on the dairy (the cup is more than enough for my kids) but a friend of mine makes this with an Alfredo that is to die for (but then she also puts in chicken...)

alternate layers of zuccini, sauce, vegetables and cheese mixture. I only have one layer of cheese usually in the middle but you can do more.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 20-40 minutes (depending on how deep the pan is)
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Re: Lasagna recipes please!

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:34 am

bump
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Re: Lasagna recipes please!

Postby Tina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 4/23
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Return to Garden of Eatin'