Last Call for Recipes - time to start the cookbook!

Last Call for Recipes - time to start the cookbook!

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Well it's taken eight years, but after the holidays we'll be putting together a PNM cookbook!!!

I'm going to start digging up some recipes and could use some help. Please post recipes to this thread including who's recipe it is and the category (dessert, casserole, crockpot, vegetarian, gluten free, etc......)

Dessert:

Anna's Chocolate Raspberry Crumb bars

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups (12 oz package) semi-sweet chocolate morsels, divided
1 1/4 cups (14 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat butter in large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in flour, sugar and salt until well mixed. Press 1 3/4 cups crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13x9 baking pan; reserve remaining mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

Combine 1 cup morsels and condensed milk in sauce pan. Melt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Spread over hot crust.

Stir nuts into reserved mixture; sprinkle over chocolate filling. Drop teaspoonfuls of raspberry jam over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining morsels. Continue baking for 25-30 minutes or until center is set.

Cool completely on wire rack. Makes 3 dozen bars.
Last edited by Tina on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

Re: Need PNM Recipes!!

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Poultry

Anna’s Dang Chicken

Throw the whole dang chicken in the crockpot, breast side up. Make sure you rinse it well first though, and take out the yucky stuff. Sprinkle it generously with chicken seasoning (McCormick is good). Wash and half 6-7 red potatoes, sprinkle season salt and dill on the open ends, and place around the outside of the crockpot open end up. Set crock pot to low, and cook all day. Yum! If you like onion, you can peel a medium onion and put it inside the bird.

If you are lucky and have any chicken left, freeze it and save it for home made chicken soup in the crock.
Last edited by Tina on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Breakfast

Stephanie’s Caramel Rolls

2 loaves frozen bread dough (comes in a 3 pack in the freezer section)
1 large box vanilla pudding, NOT INSTANT
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Partially defrost dough (should be firm but able to cut with knife). Cut dough into chunks, about 1 inch or so. Place in 9x13 and an 8x8 pyrex dish that has been thoroughly sprayed with Pam.

Mix everything but the bread dough in a saucepan over medium heat, until melted but not boiling. Drizzle over the bread chunks. Spray Pam on some foil or saran wrap and cover the rolls. Place the pans in the oven to rise overnight.

In the morning, uncover the rolls, preheat the oven to 350º and bake for 30-40 minutes. (They will be golden brown and pulling away from the side of the pan a little bit.) Remove from oven and flip pan over on foil. Scrape out excess caramel and spread over rolls. Best served hot!!

**You can make ½ the recipe using the smaller box of vanilla pudding and halving the rest of the ingredients. Also can divide whole recipe between 3 large cake pans to present on a pretty plate, or to cook in smaller batches for a party.

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 pm

Crockpot

Tina's Sauerbraten
3 pound chuck roast
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 onions -- sliced
10 ounces beef broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
8 gingersnaps

Cooked noodles

Directions:
Sprinkle the roast on all sides with salt and pepper.
Place the roast in crock pot and add the onion and broth.
Mix the brown sugar and vinegar together. Heat in the microwave until the sugar melts. Then pour this over the beef in crockpot.
Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on HIGH, turning once or twice.
Remove roast and set aside. Add the crumbled gingersnaps to the sauce in the crockpot. Stir until the sauce thickens.

Slice meat and serve over cooked noodles, with gravy spooned over all.

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Beef

Sarah's Garlic Beef Bites

1lb stew meat
Olive Oil
Garlic

Brown the meat in the olive oil and garlic (I used a TON last time, but I love garlic), then dump in the crock pot on low for 6 hours. You don't have to brown the meat, I do it when I have time. If you don't brown the meat just dump it all in the crock pot and put on low.

Then you chop a cucumber and mix it with plain yogurt and a dash of salt. You can throw it in a pita pocket or just eat plain. It's great either way!

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Poultry

Sarah's Chicken Curry

Ingredients
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 can (12-14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups packed fresh baby spinach

I throw everything but the spinach in the crock pot when I leave. It's supposed to actually be done in a skillet, but it's easier for me to throw it in the pot and walk away :P I add the baby spinach when I start the rice about twenty minutes before dinner.

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Soup

JennC's Chicken Tortilla Soup
1/2 onion, finely chopped (i used a whole small one)
3 T butter
4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
3 10-ounce cans Ro-tel (tomatoes and green chilies)
1 8-oz pk cream cheese
1 1/2 cups half and half or milk (I used half and half)
14 oz chicken broth (swanson's is fine)
4 tsp lemon juice
Tony Chachere's to taste
1 tsp salt

to top:
Corn tortillas, baked at 350 until crisp (or use Tostitos corn chips)
chopped green onions
Monterey Jack cheese
chopped ripe avovado

Cook onion in butter until soft. Add Ro-tel tomatoes and cook until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in cream cheese until melted over low heat. Stir in cooked chicken and broth, then slowly stir in half and half so it does not curdle. Add lemon juice, Tony's, and salt. Heat until hot but not boiling. Garnish with tortillas, green onion, and avocado.

Notes from me: the 3 cans of Rotel really make it spicy, so you might want to sub a can or two of the milder Ro-Tel to taste.

I added maybe another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of milk (or half and half) to thin it a little, it was really thick.

Tony Chachere's is a seasoning blend found easily here, but maybe not up north. Unfortunately, the stuff is a "secret recipe". The canister says "salt, red pepper and other spices, garlic powder." the website is www.tonychachere.com. More than likely, it'll still taste fine without it.

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Poultry

Tina's Sesame Chicken

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 dash sesame oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chile paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup water
Oil for frying
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions
Sift flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, baking soda, and baking powder into a bowl. Pour in 2 tablespoons, soy sauce, sherry, 2 tablespoons water, vegetable oil, and a dash of sesame oil; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken until coated with the batter, then cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.Meanwhile, bring chicken broth, sugar, vinegar, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, chile paste, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Dissolve 1/4 cup cornstarch into 1/2 cup of water, and stir into boiling sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens and turns clear, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and keep sauce warm.Heat olive oil in a deep fryer or large saucepan to a temperature of 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).Drop in the battered chicken pieces, a few at a time, and fry until they turn golden brown and float to the top of the oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. To serve, place fried chicken pieces onto a serving platter, and pour the hot sauce overtop. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds to garnish.
Last edited by Tina on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Crockpot / Vegetarian

Tina's Garbanzo Bean Stew

3 (15oz) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 pound red-skin potatoes, cut into 3/4 “ pieces
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
¾ cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
½ cup chopped onion (1 medium)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoons cumin seed, toasted (I use ¼ tsp cumin powder)
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (14oz) cans vegetable broth

In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, stir together garbanzo beans, potatoes, undrained tomatoes, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Pour broth over mixture. Cover and cook on low setting for 9-10 hours, or on high setting 4 ½-5 hours.

~Delish with a nice crusty loaf of bread~

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Main Dish

Tina's Orecchiette with Sausage and Broccoli Rabe

1 large bunch broccoli rabe, washed and trimmed off stems
1# lean chicken sausage, removed from casing
1 tsp olive oil5-6 cloves garlic, chopped
10 oz. orecchiette (pasta)
1 cup low sodium fat free chicken broth
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Crushed red pepper flakes

Cut broccoli rabe in quarters. Bring a large pot of water to boil. When it comes to a rolling boil, add broccoli rabe. Blanch for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Drain and set aside in a colander. Refill pot with water and salt for the pasta and bring back to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions til al dente. In a large deep saute pan brown sausage on medium heat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks. When completely cooked through set aside in a bowl. Increase heat to medium high, add olive oil to pan. When hot add garlic and cook until golden. Return broccoli rabe to the pan, mix well with the garlic and oil, season with salt and pepper and cook about 1 minute. Return cooked sausage to the pan and mix well. Drain pasta and add to the broccoli rabe. Reduce heat and stir for about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Toss so that everything is mixed well and the pasta is coated with the sauce. Serve with additional grated cheese.

Tina

Postby Tina » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 pm

bump

Tina

Postby wanda » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:27 pm

I copy and paste into word files, and have added notes over time. Hopefully, I haven't made any significant changes without noting it was a change like I usually do. I will try to look through the rest of my word files this week.

Appetizers

Carolyn’s Texas Caviar

1 can shoe peg corn (do NOT buy sweet corn...ONLY use shoe peg)
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can black-eyed peas rinsed
1/2 red pepper diced small.....or just use a whole green pepper rather than 1/2 each. Colored is pretty though.
1/2 orange pepper diced small
1/2 red onion diced small
1-2 jalapenos diced small (You know me, I leave this out.)
1/2 bunch cilantro finely chopped (Again, I leave this out and use parsley instead.)

Mix all above well

In a pan mix 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup oil (I used 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 veggie oil. 100% olive oil will congeal sometimes when you store it in the fridge.)

Zap sugar and water in microwave to dissolve sugar. Stir other dressing ingredients in and let cool if overly hot. Pour over bean mixture and let sit. This keeps FOREVER in the fridge, is great with chips...Carolyn said she takes romaine, crushed chips and put on top, put some bean mix, some cubed chicken, cheese, salsa and ranch dressing (Chris adds black olives) for an AWESOME salad.Nancy’s Baked Cream Cheese

Take a block of cream cheese. Cut in half (length wise to make it thinner. Unroll large can of crescent rolls and place cream cheese in the middle. Sprinkle with dill. Wrap rolls around it.

Bake 350 for about 10 minutes (until brown). Serve with crackers. It is really, really good and easy.

Ashley Anne’s CRAB DIP

There's no recipe for this; I just combine frozen crab (the real kind!), shredded cheese, chopped onion, garlic, jalepeno, a little bit of mayo in a baking dish and cook at 350ish for 45mins/1hr ish. Serve with crackers. I am thinking of adding bacon this time (maybe near the end, crumble it on top, cover with another layer of cheese?). This one can be played with almost endlessly!! It's REALLY yummy.

Ashley Anne’s BLUE CHEESE DIP

"Oh, the only accurate measurement is the cream cheese. And, actually, I think I used part of another package, so um, yeah. I think this is pretty close, though. Just keep tasting.

* 8 oz package of cream cheese (room temperature)
* 2-4 oz Maytag blue cheese (room temperature)
* 1 1/2 C raw pecans
* 2 TBSP butter (melted)
* salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop pecans coarsely and drizzle with melted butter, making sure all the pecan pieces are evenly coated. Lightly salt pecans and bake for approximately 8 minutes (check a couple times to make sure that they're not getting too brown.)

In a bowl, mush cream cheese and blue cheese together with a fork. Taste to make sure you have the desired amount of blue cheese. (I recommend you add the blue cheese incrementally so that the dip doesn't become too strong.)

Once they've cooled a bit, put pecans in food processor - if you have one of those wee, adorable ones, that's best. Grind until they're as small as they can be. (If you don't have a food processor, or don't feel like using it, you could just chop the bejeezus out of them until they're very fine.)

Stir pecan mixture into cheese mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste." (from a friend of mine -- I've done it, and then I heated it -- divine!! I may have added bacon to this also (*blush*))

Ashley Anne’s BAKED BRIE

Buy a round of brie, wrap it in one of (1) phyllo dough sheets, (2) can of crescent rolls, (3)baking dough. I have never used #3. My fav is #1, but then it is lovely to beat an egg and brush it on the outside before baking. Bake at, um, 350 for 30 mins? This kind of depends on how big a brie you get. I serve it with strawberries. Another way to do it is to split the brie in the middle (so two rounds), then put all-fruit or cranberries in the middle before wrapping. Or put the all-fruit on top after cooking. Yummy!

Julie B’s Creamed Tacos

1 lb. hamburger meat
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
2 cans of ready made chili, like Wolf brand
1 1/2 pt. whipping cream
Brown hamburger and drain. Add other ingredients except whipping cream and mix well. Add cream last and heat.

On plate layer following:
Fritos
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Green onions
Olives
Creamy taco mixture

I cut and pasted that recipe so I wanted to say I layer the stuff different on the plate than how it was originally written:

I put down the Fritos then the creamed taco mixture then lettuce, tomatoes, etc.

For a bigger crowd, we double the recipe. It is always a HUGE hit!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby wanda » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Breads

Carolyn’s Pumpkin Gingerbread

Heat oven to 350 and grease 2 5x9 loaf pans.
Mix 3 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Set aside
Mix:
3 cup sugar
1 cup veg oil
4 eggs
Stir in:
2/3 cup water
1 16 oz can solid packed pumpkin
and following spices
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
Stir in dry ingredients until JUST incorporated. Divide between pans. Bake about 1 hour (or if using small pans, this will make 6 5 1/4x3 loaves but bake for 45 min).

Vi’s Vegan Banana Bread

I'll give credit to vegweb.com for this AMAZING banana bread recipe. You know how most banana breads taste too sweet? This one just tastes incredible and bananary. I actually changed the recipe and make it with whole wheat flour and about 1/4 of a cup of sugar. I also add sultanas, dates and walnuts (sometimes LSA as well). Oh and if you want to spoil someone you can spread brown sugar on top as well as cinnamon ~~~ENJOY~~~

* 6 ripe bananas
* 1/2 cup vegan sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 c. all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* Cinnamon - amount you desire!

Mash the bananas (better if they're a bit overripe) until not quite smooth (we kinda like it a bit chunky!) and mix in the sugar and vanilla until incorporated.

In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients together, then add to the banana mixture and stir until blended.

Pour into a standard sized loaf pan that has been coated with a THIN layer of baking spray (you can also use a 9X13 baking dish - you don't need to spray it if it's glass though) and sprinkle some cinnamon on the top, if desired. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for one hour.

Tisha’s Rita Rolls – Cinnamon Rolls

1 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Crisco
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup warm water
1 package active, dry yeast
1 egg, well beaten
3 1/2 cups flour
brown sugar
cinnamon

Add sugar, Crisco, and salt to scalded milk and let stand until lukewarm.

Add 1/4 cup water to yeast. Then add the egg and beat well. Add the flour. Gradually add milk mixture. Mix and let rise.

Roll out dough and spread margarine (or butter), brown sugar, and cinnamon on it. Roll up and cut the dough into one inch pieces (or so). Place in a greased pan and let rise again. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan to aluminum foil right away.

I make a double batch every time, and that makes 4 pans full of rolls. I freeze half and we go to town on the other. I also make white icing that we spread on the top of the rolls. Yummy!

JennC - Apple-Raisin Sticky Buns

Prep: 30 minutes
Rise: overnight
Bake: 20 minutes

Ingredients
Topping:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Roll:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pound frozen bread dough, thawed
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup chopped, peeled apple

1. Topping: Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Stir together sugar and butter in small bowl to make paste. Spread over bottom of prepared pan; mixture may not cover bottom completely. Top with the pecans.
3. Roll: Mix sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
4. On lightly floured surface, roll thawed bread dough out into 12x10-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture evenly over dough, leaving 1/2-inch border all around edge. Sprinkle the raisins, pecans and apples evenly over the sugar mixture.
5. Starting from a long side, roll dough up, jelly-roll style. With serrated knife, cut crosswise into 9 equal pieces (you may want to trim ends of roll first). Place pieces, cut side down, in prepared pan. With cooking spray, coat piece of plastic wrap large enough to cover pan; place, coated side down, over rolls. Refrigerate to rise overnight.
6. Remove cake pan with buns from the refrigerator; let stand for 30 minutes.
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap.
8. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until golden. (*note* I baked them a little longer, I hate "doughy" buns) Cool buns in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert large serving platter over pan; carefully invert pan and platter. Remove pan, letting any sugar mixture in pan drip over buns. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 9 servings.
wanda

Postby wanda » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Breakfast

Cheese Grits - JulieB’s Grandmother's recipe

Quaker Quick Grits
1 stick of butter
2 eggs, beaten
3 rolls/tubes of Kraft Garlic Cheese
grated cheddar cheese (I use a cup but you could you less)
crushed corn flakes (optional)

Follow the directions on the box to cook the grits (double the largest serving directions on the box 2X the grits and 1.5X the water)
Add the butter and eggs
Add the Garlic Cheese (The Kraft Garlic Cheese comes in little tubes that look like fat saugage links -- It has a green with a little bit of red label on it. I usually find them either by the gourmet cheeses or by the regular cheese. ut it up in chunks first)
Stir really well until all the cheese is melted
Pour into a deep round casserole dish (depending how big yours is, you might need two)
Top with grated cheese and crushed cornflakes

Cook covered at 350 for 30 minutes, uncovered for 10-15 minutes.

If you want to make it more liquid than you could always double the water instead of 1.5X and you can also put the eggs in a measuring cup, beat them and then add milk to the 1 cup mark.

**Carolyn’s "breakfast on the go" muffins

Use either shredded hashbrowns (like simply potatoes) or cooked brown rice, mixing with some egg whites, skim milk, low fat cheese, mushrooms, onions, peppers (whatever you have on hand) and the diced ham...Liberally spray muffin tins (I've tried it using paper cups and it really doesn't work well...they stick too much to the paper) with Pam or cooking oil and bake at 400 for about 40 minutes (til top is nice and crunchy brown. I throw them in plastic bags and keep them in the fridge and eat them in the morning nuked.

**Wanda's variation: Approximately 5 c. small dice potatos, medium diced onion, 8 chunked mushrooms, 1 1/2 c. shredded cheese, 3 jumbo eggs - seasoning to taste Montreal Steak, Garlic Salt, freshly chopped rosemary and thyme. Sprayed muffin tins well with Olive Oil Pam, filled tins and mashed down with a spoon. Baked at 350 for apx. 40 minutes (made 12 largish muffins) This became a favorite around our house when Courtney was in highschool. Everyone always loved them!

Andrea’s Dutch Baby (Puffy Pancake)

2 eggs, room temp
1/2 c milk, slightly warmed
1/2 cup flour
pinch salt
pinch nutmeg
pinch cinnamon
dash vanilla
2 tbsp butter

Preheat 10in cast iron or other oven safe frying pan/skillet at 475* in oven.
Beat eggs, then add milk. Sift together spices, salt, and flour, and add gradually to egg/milk mixture, stirring until thin and smooth.
Remove pan, turn oven down to 425*, and coat pan evenly with butter. Swirl pan to coat sides of skillet. While still hot, add batter to pan. Place back into oven for 12 minutes. Your Dutch baby should puff up beautifully, and have an amazing looking crispy crust on it.
Top with whatever you wish (fruit, syrup, lemon, powdered sugar, cooked apples, etc) Mmm….so tasty!!
wanda

Postby wanda » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 pm

Crock Pot

Lizzie’s Pork Roast

EASY! I cut up 5 apples placed on bottom, salt and peppered the pork roast...mixed 1/4 cup applesauce and equal amount of water, 3 TBS. brown sugar, 1 Tsp. ginger, dumped on top...all the night before...took out of fridge, plugged it in, set to low...easy! serve with mashed taters and whatever veg.

CAMPFIRE SAUSAGE AND POTATO SOUP **

**Very good – sort of a chili flavor. I double all EXCEPT the sausage and it’s just fine!

1 can (15 1/2 oz) dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed beef broth, undiluted
8 oz kielbasa (italian sausage) link, cut lengthwise into halves, then crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large baking potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp sugar
1 to 2 tsps ground cumin

Combine all ingredients, except cumin, in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Stir in cumin; serve. Makes 6 or 7 servings.

Lisa's Famous Potato Soup

8 cups potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
1/2 pound bacon, fry, drain, crumble
1 8-oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 14.5 oz cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 10.75 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 tsp. pepper

1. In a 4-qt. crock, stir together the potatoes and onion. Stir in the bacon.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and the pepper. Add the mixture to the crock.

3. Cover and cook the soup on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 4-5 hours. If you like, mash the potatoes slightly for a thicker consistency before serving.
Makes 8 servings.

Pork Chops and Mushrooms

4 boneless porkchops, ½ inch thick
2 medium onions, sliced
small can sliced mushrooms
1 envelope onion soup mix
¼ cup water
can of mushroom soup

Grease crockpot and place pork chops in the bottom. Top with onions and mushrooms. Combine soup mix, water and mushroom soup. Pour over stuff in the crockpot. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.

Tina’s Corned Beef

No recipe, I just "winged" it.

Corned beef (sorry, don't remember how much it weighed)
Placed in crockpot, fat side up - covered with cold water - added a large quartered onion - two bay leaves - about 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper. I put it on high setting about 7:45am and we ate at 6:00pm. Before serving I sliced off the small layer of fat on top. Even my mom (a fantastic cook) said that it was the best corned beef she ever had. I served it with mashed potatoes and green beans. I'll never make it on the stove top again!

Sue’s Roast/Deli Chicken

Clean and pat dry a whole chicken. Rub chicken with olive oil and then cover in seasoned salt - inside and out. Put two wads of aluminum foil in the bottom of the crock pot and sit the chicken on them (this prevents the chicken from stewing in it's own juices.) Set crockpot to low and let it go all day - 8 hours or so and it will be tender and juicy just like the chickens from the deli - but about half the price and you don't have to stop at the grocery store on the way home!
wanda

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:22 am

April's Creamy White Chili

My recipe is originally from the Tast of Home and was a 2nd place winner in their chili cook-off. I do modify mine, I only add 8-10 oz of broth or 8 oz of water to 2 chicken boullion cubes, diced green peppers, shoepeg corn and a handful of cheese on top. This is more like a stew than chili and is awesome with fresh bread.

Creamy White Chili Recipe

Taste of Home

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon veg. oil
2 cans (15 1/2 oz each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream (8 oz)
1/2 cup whipping cream

In large saucepan saute chicken onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in sourcream and cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 7 servings
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 am

Dessert
Rhonda's Ice Cream Cake

\
Ice Cream Cake

2 boxes of ice cream sandwiches (12 per box)
tub of cool whip (12 or 16 oz container)
hot fudge (I buy the large Hershey jars, but only use about 3/4 of it - it's up to you)
peanuts (optional)

- layer sandwiches in an 8x11 pan (I do 10 across and 2 lengthwise, trimming the last one just enough for a small treat )
- top with half of the cool whip
- spoon on hot fudge, then top with peanuts
- place a second layer of ice cream sandwiches in the same direction as the first
- top with remaining cool whip
- drizzle with more hot fudge and peanuts to decorate

Freeze for at least 3 hours. Make sure you take it out in time to let it thaw a bit before serving.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Tina » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 am

Beverage

Tina's Fruit Smoothies (w/input from Andrea)
Sean will not eat breakfast before going to school every morning, so I make him smoothies.

I don't measure, but here are the ingredients:

Unsweetened almond milk
organic pre- & probiotic vanilla yogurt
a whole banana
handful of fresh or frozen (unsweetened) fruit, mixed or single,- strawberries, cherries, peaches, blueberries, etc.
teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
ice
-can also add chia seeds and tumeric, but I haven't tried them yet.

Blend and serve.

Tina

Postby Tammy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:59 am

Does anyone have Anna's meatloaf recipe? I know she does a good one with stuffing as a main ingredient.

Here is a favorite recipe that I have shared here in the past.

Tammy's Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (17.5 fluid ounce) bottle buffalo wing sauce, divided
1/2 (1 ounce) package dry ranch salad dressing mix
2 tablespoons butter
6 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise

Directions:
1. Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker, and pour in 3/4 of the wing sauce and the ranch dressing mix. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours.
2. Once the chicken has cooked, add the butter, and shred the meat finely with two forks. Pile the meat onto the hoagie rolls, and splash with the remaining buffalo wing sauce to serve.

Will try to make time to post a few more when I have more time. I love that this is happening!
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Tammy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:04 am

Wanda, you should post your chocolate chip cookie recipe! (Whenever I made cookies around the first day of school, I think of you and your tradition.)
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Next

Return to Garden of Eatin'