Last Call for Recipes - time to start the cookbook!

Re: Need PNM Recipes!!

Postby Linda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:13 pm

I'll have to try that one Tina. I've made meatballs with a bottle of BBQ sauce and a tin of jellied cranberry in the crockpot and they get raves as well.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby funnygirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:30 pm

I can't wait for the cookbook!
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby funnygirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Appetizers

JulieB
JulieB’s favorite dip
16 ounce sour cream
Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix
bacon bits -- I get the kind like real bacon
shredded cheese - 2 cups bag

Mix sour cream and ranch mix together
mix in 3/4 of the jar of bacon bits
mix in 3/4 of the cheese
sprinkle the rest of the cheese and bacon bits on top

serve with Fritos.

Creamed Tacos:

1 lb. hamburger meat
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
2 cans of ready made chili, like Wolf brand
1 1/2 pt. whipping cream
Brown hamburger and drain. Add other ingredients except whipping cream and mix well. Add cream last and heat.
On plate layer following:

Fritoes
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Green onions
Olives
Creamy taco mixture

For a bigger crowd, we double the recipe

Carolyn
"Texas Caviar"...
a bean/corn salsa. It has:
1 can shoepeg corn (do NOT buy sweet corn...ONLY use shoepeg, it does make a difference)
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can black-eyed peas rinsed
1/2 red pepper diced small
1/2 orange pepper diced small
1/2 red onion diced small
1-2 jalopenos diced small (I like it to have a bite, esp since the dressing is sweet)
1/2 bunch cilantro finely chopped (sometimes I put this in if I have it on hand, sometimes I don't...it's great either way)

Mix all above well

In a pan mix 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar (it is best to use balsamic)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup oil and bring to a boil to thoroughly dissolve sugar...let sit til cool...pour over bean mixture and let sit. This keeps FOREVER in the fridge, is great with chips...and I even take romaine, crush chips and put on top, put some bean mix, some cubed chicken, cheese, salsa and ranch dressing (Chris adds black olives) for an AWESOME salad.

Carolyn
CHEESY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

Makes 3 cups.
This dip gives you the flavor of Buffalo wings without the messy fingers.
• 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
• 1/2 c. blue cheese salad dressing
• 1/2 c. Buffalo wing sauce (see Wing Tips)
• 1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella
• 2 c. shredded, cooked chicken

Directions
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cream cheese in deep-dish 9-inch pie plate.
Microwave 1 minute to soften. Whisk in salad dressing, cayenne pepper-butter mixture and cheese until smooth. Stir in chicken.
Bake 20 minutes or until mixture is heated through. Stir well. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers or cut-up vegetables.

Carolyn
Shrimp Salsa

Shrimp Salsa...you will be a ROCK STAR!!! This is really good and really easy!
2 jars of your favorite chunky salsa (the key is for it to be chunky..mild/medium depends on your taste)
1 lb peeled, deveined and cooked shrimp (I'd say size doesn't matter, but it really does, as we well know. I've done this once with precooked frozen shrimp, and once with uncooked frozen shrimp that I boiled til JUST done...and I think I preferred the texture of the uncooked shrimp that I cooked myself. They were sized at 40-60 and I cut each one in half after cooking)
jalapenos (to taste...this time of year, I find that the smaller and darker the jalapeno, the spicier they are. I picked up giant ones last week and they tasted exactly like green peppers) at least 2-3 (3 is probably the tops I'd do if kids were eating it), cleaned and cut into small dice
cilantro again, to taste. I use about half a bunch cut up finely
juice of 2 limes if the limes are at room temperature, they juice easier
1-2 avocados diced depends on how much you like avocados.
Combine everything but avocados and refrigerate. Before serving (I do this mostly to keep the avocados from turning brown), add avocados. Serve with Tostito Scoops (so that you can get a little bit of all the flavors on one chip).

Tina’s Hanky Pankies
Hanky Pankies

1/2# Italian sausage (I use hot)
1/2# ground beef
1/2# velveeta cheese

Party rye bread http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDe ... ?catID=756

Fry meat until done (breaking up as you go-you don't want big hunks). Drain very well. Add cheese and cook/stir until cheese is melted. Spread on party rye (about a TBSP on each). Bake in 350deg oven until very hot.

I make them up ahead of time and freeze them on baking sheets, then they only need to be baked right before serving. A HUGE hit everytime I make them.

Sue
Jalapeno Popper Dip

Ingredients
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
4 ounces canned diced jalapeno peppers, drained
1/2 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an oven safe serving dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth.
3. Stir in green chilies, jalapeno peppers, and Mexican and mozzarella cheeses. Spoon this mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4. Mix together the Panko and parmesan cheese and sprinkle it over the cream cheese mixture.
5. Spray the Panko and parmesan with a quick spray of non-stick cooking spray.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and the topping is lightly browned.

Notes: If you are in a hurry, skip the Panko/Parmesan topping and simply microwave the cream cheese mixture until hot and bubbly.

Serve this dip with, French bread, fresh vegetables, tortilla chips, crackers…pretty much anything that pairs well with cheese

Tina
Hot Crab Dip

2- 8oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
4 heaping Tbsp. mayonnaise
juice of half lemon
1 tsp dry mustard
2 shakes garlic salt
1 pound crab meat, cut up in small chunks
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheese
paprika
Soften cheese and add everthing except the crab. Half the cheese. Mix well and stir in crab. Spoon into a small casserole that has been oiled. Top with remaining cheese and a sprinke of paprika. Bake at 325deg for 30-45 minutes. Let sit 15mins before serving with crackers or fresh vegetables. (Really good with Bugle snacks).

Breakfast

Carolyn
Scotch Eggs

4 hardboiled eggs peeled
1 lb LEAN country sausage (do NOT use Jimmy Dean or the like...it has too much fat and will cause holes in the sausage)
flour
beaten egg
bread crumbs (I like to use italian flavored)
oil for frying

Divide sausage into 4 equal parts and flatten (I use the bottom of a dinner plate...it creates a nice even surface). Wrap around egg. so that the egg is completely covered in sausage. roll sausage wrapped egg in flour, then dip in beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs (note...you need the flour because the beaten egg won't stick to the sausage). Bring oil to about 375 degrees (I like to do this in a small 1 qt pot...big enough to cook one at a time so that I don't waste alot of oil) and deep fry til golden on all sides...about 8-10 minutes. If it browns too fast turn down the heat...it needs to cook long enough to ensure the sausage is cooked thru. Drain on paper towels. LET COOL COMPLETELY (these are actually eaten cold so you can make them ahead of time. Cut into quarters and serve with a nice honey mustard.

Pasta
SueS
Pasta Bake

1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey
Large jar of spaghetti sauce – any kind, at least 28 oz.
3-4 small zucchini – cut in round slices
10-20 mushrooms – sliced (depends on if you like them or not)
1 chopped onion
1 package pasta – I usually use rotini
Monzerlla cheese – one big ball
Parmasean cheese shredded
1 pint sour cream
Seasonings – Italian

Brown onion & meat, seasons you like with a bit of olive oil until cooked. Cook pasta per package directions – cook to al dente.
Mix sauce with sour cream. Once meat & onions are done remove from heat, mix in mushrooms & zucchini in with meat, onions, in 11 x 13 pan. Mix in sauce then pasta. I put a bit of parm cheese in the sauce. Cover with shredded monzerlla cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 min. until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Tina » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:25 am

Carolyn's Blueberry Coffee Cake

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour
Servings: 12

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups blueberries

1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons butter
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in the blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

I made some changes based on comments: 3/4 cup buttermilk (or milk), added 1 tsp each vanilla and almond extract to batter. Used sliced almonds instead of pecans for the streusel and backed the oven off to 350 and cooked for 50 minutes (be sure to check the center esp if your pan isn't 9" mine was 8" so it took even longer) . They also recommend if you use frozen blueberries to allow to thaw on papertowels and toss them with flour before adding to batter.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Re: Last Call for Recipes - time to start the cookbook!

Postby Tina » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:15 am

BUMP

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby wanda » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Did someone manage to find the old thread where we were collecting recipes?
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Tina » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Not that I know of Wanda. I'll put out another reminder on FB and hopefully get started pulling them together in the next few weeks.

Tina

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 am

So many good recipes! YUM!
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Heba » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:46 am

Not sure if this is in here somewhere (I can't find it but it might be).

Heba's lemon chicken

Slice and fry a big onion
Add the chicken, (Enough for four people or whatever you want, breast, joints, whatever) and fry a few minutes to seal.
Stir in 3/4 cup chicken stock
Stir in 6 Tbsp cream (light/whipping/whatever) 6 TBSP Yoghurt, juice of 1 or 2 lemons, salt and pepper.
Cook uncovered in the oven on Loooooow-it should *just* simmer for about an hour or longer (check that the liquid doesn't evaporate) The chicken should be just a little brown by the end, but it doesn't matter if they're not as long as the meat is tender. A few minutes before serving, if the liquid is still quite watery (It always is when I do it) mix a tablespoon of cornflour (aka cornstarch) w/a tablespoon of water and stir it into the sauce. Return to the oven for a few minutes and allow the sauce to thicken.

Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or bread.
Heba

Postby Tina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 4/23
Tina

Previous

Return to Garden of Eatin'