Last Call for Recipes - time to start the cookbook!

Re: Need PNM Recipes!!

Postby Tammy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 am

I know this isn't a human recipe, but it's a big favorite in this house among the canine set -- and seems an appropriate item from me. LOL

Tammy's PeanutMutter Cookies (for dogs)

2 tablespoons corn oil
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oil, peanut butter, and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, then knead into firm dough. Roll dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 2-1/2 dozen.
Last edited by Tammy on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Postby Tammy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 am

Tammy's Homemade Macaroni & Cheese

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound elbow macaroni
8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack
2 cups hald-and-half
1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2-½ quart casserole.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot. In a small saucepan, melt eight tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1-½ cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it’s bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Postby Tammy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 am

Vi's Walnut Burgers

* 2 tbsp margarine, 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 cup soy milk
* 1-1/2 cups toasted bread crumbs
* egg replacer for 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 tsp seasoned salt
* 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
* 1 cup cooked rice
* 1/2 cup chopped olives or mushrooms

Blend margarine, flour, and salt over low heat. Stir in milk and cook until thickened; simmer about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients; mix well; chill. Form into patties, roll in flour or cracker crumbs, and saute or bake until brown.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Postby Andrea040805 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 am

how is it that with all the damn cooking I do, all I've posted is a dutch baby pancake? LOL!!!
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper

Postby funnygirl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:59 am

Need Carolyn's Shrimp Salsa and more!
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

Postby Maelyn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:04 pm

This needs monkey bread... have to go dig that one up when I am no surfing on a phone
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!

Postby wanda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:51 pm

KL’S Strawberry-Raspberry Coffee/Cupcakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons butter, melted
4 cups (total) diced fresh strawberries & raspberries
... 1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup rolled oats

1 In a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to mix.
2 In a second bowl, add the egg, milk, vanilla and butter; stir to mix; add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
3 Pour mixture into cupcake liners
4 Place berries evenly over the top of batter (about a tb each cupcake).
5 To make the topping: Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl.
6 With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until consistency of coarse crumbs.
7 Stir in oats
8 Sprinkle mixture evenly over the strawberries. (about a tb each)
9 Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.

Angie’s Grandma Cooper's Applesauce Cake

3 cups Applesauce
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups raisins
4 cups flour
1 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts

Add butter, sugar, and raisins into HOT applesauce. When sugar and butter are well mixed, take off stove and cool. Then add spices, flour, and soda; mix well. Add nuts, and then pour batter in to a greased tube or bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for i hour 15 minutes (clean knife test).

2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
4tbsp hot milk
3 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter. Add in milk and stir in sugar. This mixture must be fairly thick. Spread on cake while warm.

3/4 c. Bisquick mix
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. canned pumpkin
1 1/2 c. chopped nuts
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin spice (I generally don't keep this onhand and use 1/2 tsp Ginger, and 1/4 tsp each Allspice and Cloves instead.)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Pam Spray

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease with Pam a 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly roll pan. Line top and sides with waxed paper, grease waxed paper with Pam also. Beat eggs and sugar until fluffy, beat in pumpkin. Stir in dry ingredients. Pour into pan, spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes.
Invert onto a length of papertowel that has been dusted with powdered sugar, peel off waxed paper and roll up cake and papertowels together starting on the short side. Place seam side down on wire rack, cool completely. Unroll cake. Spread with filling. Reroll cake and refrigerate until ready to serve. I take mine out of the fridge a bit ahead of time so it can warm up a bit and then dust with powdered sugar.

1 c. powdered sugar
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
6 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat together until smooth.

My notes: Don't worry too much about cracks while rolling and unrolling, because the seem to go back together enough to look fine when you roll it back up after putting the icing inside. Original recipe called for using a tea towel, rather than paper towels, when rolling it up, but I've found that a decent quality paper towel works well and you don't have an orange towel to deal with. I'm also easy going when it comes to measuring the pumpkin and use half a small can. I freeze the rest to use in another roll if I'm not making two at that time.

Stephanie’s Chocolate Snowstorm

This cake will make you famous. Do not make it unless you want to be expected to bring it to every function in the future! From Southern Living but we renamed it because their name (something like candy bar cake?) for it was really wimpy for such amazing cake.

1 chocolate cake mix
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 (1.5 oz) Hershey Bars
1 (12 oz) container of Cool Whip, thawed

• Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into 3 greased 8-inch round cake pans.
• Bake at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
• Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar at medium speed until mixture is creamy.
• Chop or grate 8 candy bars finely. Fold cream cheese mixture and chopped candy into whipped topping.
• Spread icing between the layers on top and sides of cake. Chop remaining 2 candy bars. Sprinkle half of the chocolate over the cake. Press remaining chocolate along the bottom edge of the cake.

Notes, but I don't remember whose:
• I use three 9 inch pans.
• I usually just cool the cakes in the pan.
• I grate the chocolate, works really well if you have a food processor or the grating attachment on a kitchen aid.
• Do not try to grate or chop cold chocolate bars, room temp work MUCH better.
• I normally use 6-7 candy bars in the frosting and 1-2 for the top.
• I prefer to buy a 16-oz thing of Cool Whip. I start by adding only the portion that I think would be 12 oz, but by the end usually end up adding nearly the entire thing. I like it better with a little extra Cool Whip and a little less of the chocolate bars.
• To make it even more wow, I have added chocolate covered strawberries to the top.

1 box yellow cake mix with pudding (DUNCAN HINES) or Pillsbury
1-3oz. box instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
4 eggs
8oz. sour cream
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Mix cake mix, pudding, sugar, oil, water. Mix well-add eggs one at the time beating well after each egg. Add sour cream and fold in chocolate chips. Mix well bake in a greased and floured tube pan at 350 degrees--50 to 60 min. COOL IN PAN 1 HOUR.

**My absolute favorite way to make it is with a dark chocolate cake mix, rather than yellow.

**Wanda's Red, White and Blue Lemon Cake

Really yummy! In Florida Today June 28,2007 - Serves 12

For the cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 lemons
1 cup milk
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

For the glaze:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons milk or cream
juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
2 cups fresh raspberries or strawberries

To make the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-cup bundt pan or tube pan (you can use a 9-by-13-inch pan if you like).

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.

Beat butter until smooth. Pour in sugar as you continue to beat until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl.

Grate the zest (yellow part of rind) from lemons. Add it to the bowl. Squeeze and measure lemon juice. You should have 1/3 cup. Add water to make up the difference if you need to.

Add 1/3 of the flour to the butter mixture. Stir to blend well. Add lemon juice and about 1/4 cup of the milk. Stir to blend. Repeat the additions, ending in flour, stirring well after each addition.

Scrape 1/3 of the batter into the pan (approximately, don't be obsessive). Sprinkle with 1/2 the blueberries.

Scoop a few large spoons of batter over the berries, and smooth to make a layer. Again, don't worry too much about covering every berry. Add remaining berries, then the remaining batter.

Bake 60 to 65 minutes until a wooden pick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Turn it out on a rack. Cool a little longer -- it still can be warm when you pour on glaze. Put it on a serving plate and decorate with remaining 2 c. fruit.

Sue’s Lemon Buttermilk Sheet Cake

2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
3 tablespoons grated zest and 1/4cup juice from 3 lemons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
12 tablespoons (1 1/2sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, room temperature

3 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons buttermilk

For the cake: Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla in liquid measuring cup.

With electric mixer on medium speed, mix granulated sugar and lemon zest until moist and fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer 1/4 cup of the sugar mixture to small bowl, cover and reserve for glaze. Add butter to remaining sugar mixture and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Beat in eggs and yolk, one at a time, until incorporated. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of buttermilk mixture, and mix until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Scrape batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer cake to wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.

For the glaze: Whisk confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and buttermilk until smooth. Spread glaze over warm cake, and sprinkle with reserved sugar mixture. Cool completely, at least 2 hours. Serve.

Nancy’s Lemon Meringue Pie

This is DH's grandmother's lemon pie. To die for.

3 eggs, seperated
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 cup sugar

Whisk egg yolks. Add condensed milk (whisk) and lemon juice/extract (whisk).

Pour into graham cracker pie crust

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar for meringue. Add in sugar towards the end. Spread over the pie

Bake 350 for 10 minutes or so (until meringue browns).

Is sweet, but slightly tart. Delish!

Slutty Brownies

These are so disgustingly rich and amazingly good!

1 box Chocolate chip cookie mix
1 box Brownie mix
2 packs of Oreo's (single sleeved)
2 Eggs
Oil for box mixes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pull out a deep baking pan, line with wax paper or coat with non-stick spray. Follow directions on box mixes. After line the bottom of the cookie sheet with your chocolate chip cookie mix. After spreading it evenly across the bottom place a whole layer of Oreos. On top of this finally scrap in the brownie mixture.
Bake for 30 mins and wah lah! (?) Perfect comfort food in under an hour!
Happy Eating!

Tina’s Cuccidari (Italian fig cookies)

Cream shortening with sugar. beat in other ingredients. you may have to work in the flour with your hands.

divide dough into 8 equal parts or balls. roll out 1 ball on a floured surface into a rectangle about 12 x 4 x 1/4”. put 1/8 of fig filling along center of rectangle. roll dough into a log.

cut log into slices about 1” long, and place on a greased cookie sheet. bake at 375 for 13 minutes.

After cookies cool, frost lightly with a confectioner’s sugar glaze* and top with colored sprinkles.

1/4 c Sugar
1# dates (chopped)
1# figs (chopped)
1c raisins (optional)
1c strong coffee (brewed)
shot or two of whiskey (I used 2)
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c chopped nuts
1 large milk chocolate bar

Mix all ingredients for the filling together in a pan and cook over medium heat until chocolate is melted. mix well and cool.

1 c shortening
2 c sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
6 c flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. baking soda

confectioner’s sugar glaze: 3/4 c of confectioner’s sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk.

Lizzie’s Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 1/2 Cups flour
2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp. salt1
16 oz can pumpkin pie filling
1 Cup veg. oil
2 eggs
2 TBS milk
1 Tsp vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet choco. Chips

Preheat oven to 375. Grease Cookie Sheet Mix together all dry ingredients. Add pumpkin, Oil, Eggs, Milk, Vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Add choco. Chips. Drop by spoonful onto greased cookie sheet and bake 13 - 14 mins/till edges brown

Carolyn’s Chocolate Crinkles

Most of my cookies have a story and this one is no different. I don't remember the exact year that these became a family cookie but I do remember that we were living at Andrews AFB so it had to be sometime between 1970-1974. My mom was not really a big cookie person as I don't remember her ever making cookies, just to make cookies. UNTIL she came into the possession of the Betty Crocker "Cooky Cookbook" (yes, that's with a Y), which, what is left of it is now in my possession (and you know it's 9/10th of the law right?). After what is probably about 40 years (or need to get REALLY specific), this is what is left of it:

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup vegetable oil (LOL...who uses that anymore? Canola is fine)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup SIFTED confectioners (powdered) sugar

Melt chocolate with oil (I do this in 30 second increments in the microwave so as not to scorch the chocolate). Stir til chocolate is completely melted then add 2 cups sugar. Stir and add 4 eggs and vanilla.

Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and add to dough.

Refrigerate the batter for several hours. I suggest making these in the evening and let refrigerate overnight. You want the dough to be VERY stiffBut that's because I live in the Minnesota tundra and I put the dough on the deck to chill. Most people don't have this "advantage" (if you're lucky) so I suggest overnight. At any rate, I use the smallest Pampered Chef scoop (which of course isn't marked but I think it is a 1 Tbs scoop) and roll into balls and place on a plate with sifted powdered sugar:

Then place them on an ungreased cookie sheet (if you don't yet have them, PLEASE, pretty please with sifted powdered sugar on top, go to Sams and buy the double set of heavy aluminum 10x15 jelly roll pans. I promise you will NOT be sorry) about 2 inches apart. I easily fit 15 on each sheet:

Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes. I think my oven is a little off because I think 12 minutes is perfect but this time they seemed to need a bit longer. They will be all puffed up when they come out of the oven, then they will settle a little.

Your kids will think you a rock star. Their friends will want YOU as their mom just so they can have these delicious mouth watering bites of heaven. This makes about 5 dozen (I actually ended up with 59 and NO, I do NOT eat cookie dough).

Meagan’s MIL’s Vanilla Homemade ice cream

Note, from MIL ~ Make sure to wash the shell of egg VERY well and use the freshest eggs. Makes a gallon

4 eggs
2.5 cups Sugar
7 cups Whole Milk
3 cups Whipping cream or Heavy cream (she said it didn't matter)
2.5 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat eggs till eggs become a light color, add sugar gradually until it's thick, add remaining ingredients, mix well.

Freeze in 5 quart ice cream maker/freezer. Freeze in freezer for at least 4-5 hours before you eat it. Makes 1 gallon.

The topping is a MUST also!

Peanut butter chocolate sauce She didn't have an exact recipe for this, she wings it.

Put a bunch of peanut butter in separate bowl, mix in Hershey's chocolate syrup with spoon until desired taste. She said it takes more chocolate than peanut butter.

I also love it topped with frozen strawberries or raspberries. You know the ones in the container with the juice. YUM!!!!

About 9 servings.

**Anna’s Chocolate Raspberry Crumb Bars

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounce package) Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels, divided
1 ¼ cups (14 ounce can) Nestle Carnation Sweetened Condensed milk
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 F. Beat butter in small mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in flour, sugar, and salt until well mixed. With floured fingers press about half of the crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan; reserve remaining mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.

Combine 1 cup morsels and sweetened condensed milk in small, heavy duty sauce pan. Melt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Spread over hot crust.

Stir nuts into reserved mixture; sprinkle over chocolate filling. Drop teaspoonfuls of raspberry jam over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining morsels. Continue to baking for 25-30 minutes or until center is set (?)
Cool completely on wire rack. Makes 3 dozen bars.

Cheri’s Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce

Preheat oven to 360 degrees F.

7 cups white bread or egg bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup golden raisins (I don't use)
1/2 cup melted butter
4 whole eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups half and half milk
2 cups whole milk

Caramel Sauce

1/2 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Place the bread cubes in a 9 x 13 buttered glass pan.

Sprinkle the raisins over the bread and drizzle on the melted butter, do not mix in. Set this aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs until broken up and blend in the sugars, nutmeg, half and half and the milk. DO NOT OVER BEAT THIS MIXTURE JUST COMBINE. Pour the mixture over the cubes and raisins and let it all soak in, gently patting the bread down into the milk every now and then.

Sprinkle the top with a grating of more nutmeg. Bake the pudding for 50 minutes, checking about the 40 minute mark, that its not getting too brown-- If it is cover with foil loosely. Bake until pudding is puffy all over and golden.

Remove to rack to cool.

Sauce-- In a saucepot over med. heat, melt the butter, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Whisk in the salt, vanilla, and milk.

The sauce can be made ahead, then warmed in the microwave-- Cut cooled pudding into squares, and top each with hot sauce.

Tina Marie’s S'More Brownies

8-10 whole graham crackers
1 box fudge brownie mix
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place graham crackers in a greased 9x13 pan. Mix brownies according to package directions and spread over the graham crackers. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and marshmallows on top and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the marshmallows are slightly brown and puffed.

Lisa’s Lemonopita

1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tbs. grated lemon peel
2 eggs
1/2 cup warm milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar

Preheat your oven to 350°F.

Cream the butter thoroughly in a bowl and gradually add the sugar while beating. Beat the eggs until light and creamy and with a spoon fold them into the butter and sugar. Stir in the milk with a wooden spoon, then slowly add the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon peel.

Pour the batter into a well-greased 9x12 pan and bake about 25 minutes.

Mix the topping ingredients together in a bowl. Remove the cake from the oven and spoon the mixture evenly over the hot cake and return it to the oven to bake for another 5 minutes. The juice will penetrate into the cake and the sugar will crust over the top.

Holly’s Oatmeal-Cheesecake-Cranberry Bars

(She serves for Breakfast.)

2 cups flour
1-1/4 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 16-oz can whole cranberry sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch

In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, oatmeal and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the crumbs. Press remaining crumbs into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake in a 350-deg. oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in the same bowl beat cream cheese and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Spread over crust in baking pan. Stir together cranberry sauce and cornstarch; spoon carefully over cream cheese layer. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Bake 40 minutes more or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill at least 3 hours. Cut into bars.

Betsy’s Whole Wheat Applesauce Muffins

Makes apx. 20
2 cups whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
6 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup milk
1-1/3 cups applesauce

Mix dry ingredients. Stir in wet ingredients and mix until just moistened.
Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes.

Nancy’s Country Blueberry Coffee Cake (Paula Deen)
I made this for church and it was *awesome*! I did 1 1/2 times the recipe for a 9x13 pan.

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (12 ounce) can Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup rolled quick-cooking oat
1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup sugar

* Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
* Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
* In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well with a fork. Set aside.
* Separate biscuit dough into 8 biscuits, and cut each biscuit into quarters.
* Dip each biscuit piece into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon-brown sugar mixture to coat well. Arrange in a single layer in baking dish.
* Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the oats.
* Combine blueberries and sugar in a bowl and toss to coat.
* Spoon blueberry-sugar mixture over oats and biscuits and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup oats. Drizzle remaining melted butter on top.
* Bake for 25 minutes or until cake is golden brown and center is done.
Cool for 10 minutes, serve warm.

Vi’s Sticky Date Pudding
Ingredients (serves 8)
• 250g pitted dates, chopped
• 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
• 125g butter, softened
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 3/4 cups White Wings Self-Raising Flour, sifted
• Caramel sauce
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 300ml thickened cream
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 60g butter
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 7cm deep, 22cm (base) cake pan.
2. Place dates and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a large metal spoon, fold through date mixture and flour until well combined.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn onto a plate.
5. Make sauce Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes.
6. Pierce pudding all over with a skewer. Pour 1/2 cup of warm sauce over warm pudding. Stand for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve with remaining sauce.

**Terrific cooked in muffin tins, then store in the freezer for when you have visitors over. 30 seconds to defrost and warm - just terrific and makes 18 individual small desserts, maybe 25-30 minutes baking time.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon

Postby wanda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Sue’s Simple Sesame Noodles

12 ounces thin noodles, cooked and drained (angel hair, thin spaghetti, or Asian style)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 to 3 tablespoons pure sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon hot chile oil (more to taste)
4 to 5 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons hot water
3 to 4 green onions, sliced thin

Whisk all ingredients (except noodles and green onions) together in a bowl. Taste and adjust ingredients as needed.
Pour sauce over warm noodles and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with green onions and toss.

Sherrie’s Sausage Penne

1 T. olive oil
1 lb. hot or sweet Italian sausage (remove from casings and crumble into dutch oven)
3 cloves of minced garlic, or more to taste
dash of hot pepper flakes
3 to 4 cups chicken broth
2 to 3 cups of water
1/2 c. oil-packed sun dried tomatoes (I buy the ones already julienned)
1 lb penne
salt/pepper to taste
6 oz to 1 lb baby spinach
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese

Heat oil to just smoking in dutch oven (I use a large skillet with a lid). Remove sausage from casings and crumble into hot oil. Brown. Stir in garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add hot pepper flakes (optional). Stir in broth, water, penne and tomatoes. Increase heat, stirring often, until penne is tender (I often cover and let simmer, just because I don't know when Greg might be home). You want liquid to be thickened, like a glace, about 15-18 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in parmesan cheese and serve.

**Carolyn’s Sausage, Potato and Onion Saute

SUPER easy. I use beef smoke sausage but any kind of smoked or even regular sausage will work. Kielbasa-ish. I slice about 8-10 (remember the size of our family) medium peeled potatoes with a mandolin slicer (SUPER FAST) and saute in a ...large pan with 3-4 Tbs canola oil, seasoned salt and lots of pepper, until the potatoes start to brown. Add one sliced onion and cook til caramelized and potatoes continue to brown. Add sausage to heat through (unless you're not using smoked sausage...then you'll have to cook the sausage with the potatoes.). This is one of Chris' favorite meals.

**Wanda - I used cracked pepper, kosher salt, thyme and a touch of rosemary. Love onion, so I used one regular onion and a smaller red onion.

Jennc’s Friend’s PORK ROAST

large pork loin roast
1/2 c soy sauce
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 T sesame oil
Combine ingredients and marinate at least 2 hours. I usually do overnight.
Next step
1/4 c honey
2 T brown sugar
sesame seeds
Put on a plate and towel dry roast. Roll in honey and brown sugar and sprinkle 4 T sesame seeds.
COVER & cook at 350 for @ 2 hours

Postby wanda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Wanda's Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

1 head cauliflower separated into small flowerets
1 bunch broccoli separated into flowerets
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup raisins
1/2 to 1 cup sunflower seeds or chopped pecans
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Mix first five ingredients together; pour dressing over and mix to blend. Prepare at least 2 hours in advance. Broccoli salad serves 10 to 12.

Ashley Anne’s salad & fave dressing

Romaine (shredded in large bits)
Red onion, cut in rounds or half-round strips
Red grapes (halved)
Feta cheese crumbles
Grape tomatoes (halved)

For dressing (I stole this one from Shannon's husband!!): combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and polenar all-fruit. This has become THE favorite dressing of my husband's family now!

Holly’s Chilled Green Bean and Red Potato Salad

1 lb green beans, snipped
2 lbs red potatoes, halved
1 cup red bell pepper, diced (I leave this out cuz I don't like pepper LOL)
2 tsp garlic, minced
3 tblsp fresh dill
1 tsp sugar
1 tblsp dijon mustard
4 tblsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and black pepper

Cook green beans in boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, approx. 5 min; drain and cool with cold water.

cook potatoes until fork tender.

Cool and place in bowl with beans and peppers.

Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over vegetables. toss gently and refrigerate for 1 hour.

(Oriental) Crunchy Coleslaw

Large bag of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 packages sliced almonds
2 packages beef ramen noodles

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup of vinegar
noodle flavor packets

Roast almonds 2-3 minutes at 350 degrees
Mix cabbage, onions, almonds, and dry broken up noodles.
Pour dressing over salad just before serving.

This is always a big hit. Also, since there is no mayo in it like traditional coleslaw, I feel much better about this one at a cookout than traditional coleslaw.

Loaded Baked Potato Salad

4 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly chopped chives, divided
8 strips of bacon (6 for the salad and 2 for topping) cooked and crumbled
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
Serves 4 - 6 (Simply double list of ingredients if you need a larger serving)

In a small bowl, mix together your mayonnaise, and sour cream. Make sure the two are completely combined and then add half of the chives, cheese, and pepper. Taste mixture to see if you prefer some salt. (I usually add a dash or two.) Let chill in fridge for a bit. Meanwhile, peel and cube your potatoes in to bite size pieces. Put in a large pot, cover with water, and boil until fork tender. About 20 minutes. *You need to keep an eye on them. If they cook too long you'll end up with more of a mashed potato consistency when you mix them with the sauce.

When potatoes are ready, drain and let cool just a bit. *Let them cool a lot if you plan to serve chilled. Put potatoes in a large bowl or dish and combine with sour cream mixture. Top with remaining half of chives and crumbled bacon.

LESLIE'S NOTES: I typically make this dish with Russet potatoes. I gave the suggestion of Yukon Gold because I have made it using those as well. Both are excellent! I also like to leave a little bit of the skins on the potatoes (especially if using Russets) to give a really baked potato taste. But that's just me.

**Sweet-Tart Asian-Style Three Bean Salad

• 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• One 10-ounce bag frozen shelled edamame
• 3 Tbs. canola oil
• 3 Tbs. rice vinegar
• ¼ cup 100%-fruit apricot preserves
• 1 Tb. sugar
• 1 tsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
• One 15-ounce can black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
• 2 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
• Salt to taste

Put the green beans and frozen edamame in a steamer basket over several inches of boiling water and steam them for 4 minutes. Drain well, then transfer the beans to a large bowl and put them in the refrigerator to cool for 15 minutes or longer.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, apricot preserves, sugar and ginger.
Add the black beans and scallions to the green beans and edamame, drizzle with the dressing, and toss to coat. Season with salt, and serve at room temperature or chilled. This salad will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for about 3 days.
Yield: 8 servings

Per serving (¾ cup): 180 calories, 25g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 7g fat (0g saturated), 6g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 72mg sodium

**Wanda - Excellent. I used a 12 oz steamer bag, steamed 4 minutes, chilled and cut. In organic section, found a 10 oz box of shelled, cooked edamame and just tossed them in…much easier that way.

Postby Tina » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Jen's Red Beans & Rice

You need:
1 pound dry red beans (Camelia brand is best if you can get that)
celery, maybe 1/2 bunch, chopped
1-2 green bell peppers, chopped
garlic, maybe 3-4 pods, minced
1 large onion, diced
oil, just a little
Tabasco sauce or cajun seasoning (or both)
Worstechire (sp?) sauce
2 Bay leaves
garlic powder
1/2 pound chopped ham, (browned in skillet beforehand)
1 pound sausage, I just regular smoked sausage (browned with ham)

OK, the night before, rinse and sort beans, meaning, pick out any that look funny and/or any rocks or whatever that ended up in the bag. Cover with cold water, and bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Kill heat and soak overnight.

The next morning: in a big pot, saute chopped veggies in a little oil, not much, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup until soft. Drain beans and add them to the pot. Add enough water to completely cover beans plus maybe another inch. Give a few good shakes of W sauce (about 2 teaspoons or more if you like), a few good shakes of Tabasco (about 1-2 teaspoons), add Bay leaves, a few shakes of garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low all day, stirring often to keep them from sticking. You cook until the beans are soft and the mixture is thick and creamy. Once they are pretty thick, you can doctor them up by adding more tabasco, salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, etc. About 1/2 way through cooking, add sliced sausage and ham that has been browned a little in a skillet. If you can get your hands on a smoked ham hock, you can add that during cooking from the beginning and just take it out and toss it once they are done. Serve over white rice with either french bread of cornbread.

**Do Not Use a Crockpot - Stovetop ONLY!**
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR

Postby Tina » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Tina's Hot Meat Sauce

Place 1 lb ground beef in pot and cover with cold water. Mash with potato masher. Add 1 Tbsp. salt. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. paprika
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1/3 tsp thyme
¼ tsp ground cloves
¾ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp oregano
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried chopped onion
5 drops Tabasco sauce

Simmer 1 ½ hours stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced to desired consistency.
NOTE: I triple the recipe – it freezes very well.

Delish on hamburgers/hotdogs/baked potatoes/etc.

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR

Postby wanda » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Carolyn’s Phenomenal Jambalaya

1 lb smoked sausage (I used beef smoked sausage…can use kielbasa/andouille/etc) cut in 1” circles
1/2 lb bacon (sliced and cut strips in 1” pieces)
3 good sized chicken breasts cut into thirds
3 celery stalks, ½” slices
2 onions diced
2 peppers (I used one red, one yellow but can use any color) diced
2 jalapenos diced small
3 cloves garlic diced (I used about 2 tsp jarred diced garlic)
1 tsp dry thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tsp paprika
1-2 tsp cayenne (less spicy, go light...I used 1 ½ with the jalapenos it was perfect)
2 cups long grain rice
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I opened a swansons 32 oz carton and continued to add chicken broth as it cooked as needed)
Not in the original recipe, but I had some Bloody Mary Mix that needed to be used so I added about 1 cup of it)
2 lbs peeled and deveined shrimp

Heat pan (you'll need a BIG pan) to high and cook bacon til fat is released and bacon is crispy. Remove bacon. Season chicken (I used creole seasoning I had on hand from Jenns tortilla soup and it worked well) and brown on both sides. Push chicken to the outside of pan and add the veggies (peppers, onion, celery, garlic) and continue to brown without burning. Lower heat and add rice and spice. Cook for 5-7 minutes over med heat. Add tomato, broth (and bloody Mary Mix), bring to boil, stirring, cover then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, add shrimp and sausage (if sausage isn't precooked, it should be added with the chicken) and cooked bacon and cook until the shrimp are done. (sausage needs to just heat thru). Here is where I continued to add broth, a little at a time as needed. I wanted it a LITTLE soupy...not ALL the liquid absorbed. When I reheated, yesterday, I used bloody mary mix again to moisten.

I served this with THE EASIEST Corn Muffins EVAH...2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix, 2 eggs, 1 15 oz can of creamed corn, 1 TBS brown sugar. Mix til well moistened and put in well sprayed muffin tin and bake at 400 for 16-22 min. It made 12 GOOD sized muffins.

Side Dishes

(Julie's?) Parmesan Baked Potato Halves

6 small potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
1/4 cup butter
grated parmesan cheese
garlic powder
other seasonings (to personal preference)

■Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a 9x13 inch pan and spread evenly across the bottom. Generously sprinkle parmesan cheese and lightly sprinkle other seasonings all over the butter. Place potato halves face down on the butter and seasonings. Place in preheated oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve on a plate with a side of sour cream for dipping.

Wanda's Hambone Soup

No real recipe, it's by taste so everything here is just a guide!! Biggest deal is to boil the bone for a while to get the flavor into the broth. I cover the bone with either water or chicken broth and add approximately:

1 can chopped tomatoes (about 2 c.)
1 huge onion, diced
1 spear celery, diced
1-2 TB fresh parsley (less if dried)
½ tsp Thyme
½ tsp Italian Seasoning
1-2 tsp salt
¼ - ½ tsp pepper

I bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for an hour or so. My soup is most definitely country style, I then add:

1 med-large diced potato
2 carrots, diced
¼ rice, raw
¼ - ½ c. elbow macaroni
And from the freezer I add, and again it’s all approximate:
1 c. Fordhook Lima Beans
1 c. shoepeg corn
½ - ¾ c. green peas
½ - ¾ green beans

Simmer until vegies are done, taste for salt and pepper and you should have it. I like my rice to start cooking to pieces, but you could add the noodles just a tad later if you wanted.

I just did a quick online search and this is very similar to mine, except the choice to use Cajun seasonings and dried beans. I bet it’s good though - ... -soup.html

Carolyn’s White Bean Soup with Thyme

1 lb white beans soaked overnight and drained
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
Ham (I use the left overs from a dinner ham, usually throwing in the whole bone and any extras but you can use a slice finely chopped or a ham hock)
2 cans (13 oz) chicken stock
1 qt water
2 tsp fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
pinch off crushed red pepper or to taste (don’t forgo this…it gives it the TINIEST bit of bite)
salt and freshly ground pepper

Rinse beans and set aside. Heat oil in a large pot and add the onions, carrots and chopped ham (when I’m using a ham bone, I wait and add the ham with the stock). Cook over medium heat stirring often until onions are translucent.

Add stock, beans, thyme, crushed red pepper, black pepper (and ham if using a ham hock or bone) and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Let soup simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the beans are falling apart. Lift the ham out of the pot, discard fat and bone and cut meat into shreds and return the meat to the pot. If you want to thicken the soup, puree 2 cups in the blender and return to the simmering pot. Taste for seasoning and add salt if necessary.

Cheri’s Cheeseburger Soup

3/4 lb ground beef
1 cup minced onions
1 teaspoon basil
4 cups beef broth
3 cups diced potatoes
1/4 cup chopped green peppers
4 teaspoons butter
4 teaspoons flour
8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
2 cups light cream
1/2 teaspoon pepper

In soup pot, cook and break up ground beef.
Add onion, basil and beef broth.
Bring to a boil.
Add potatoes and green pepper.
Cover and simmer 12 minutes.
Bring back to a boil.
In saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour.
Cook 2 minutes.
Add to soup, stirring.
Reduce heat to low again and add cheese, cream and pepper.
Stir until cheese melts.

Carolyn’s Wild Rice Soup

6 Tbsp butter
¼ cup minced onion
½ cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 cup chopped ham
1 cup cooked chopped chicken
½ cup grated carrots
3 Tbsp slivered almonds
½ tsp salt
1 cup half and half
2 Tbsp dry sherry

Melt butter in saucepan; sauté onion until tender. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute.
Stir in ham, rice chicken, carrots, almonds, and salt; simmer 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry. Heat to serving temp.

I usually double.

Note: 1 cup uncooked rice=3-4 cups cooked. 1 cup wild rice, tsp salt in 4 cups water. Simmer 45-55 min.

Wanda’s Chili

1 ½ lb hamburger
2 medium onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 TB olive oil

Sauté all of the above in the olive oil. Add:

1 TB cumin
3 TB chili powder
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans diced tomatoes
8 oz tomato sauce
1 can beef broth
1 can Bush Chili Beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans (or an additional kidney)

Simmer an hour or more. I don't like things particularly hot, so add more cumin and some hot sauce if you like. I serve with chopped onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, Fritos, crackers, and/or cornbread.

Tina’s Moroccan Lentil Stew

1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 (1#) butternut squash, peeled, cut into 3/4" cubes
8 small new red potatoes cut into 3/4" cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
3 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water
1 (8oz) pkg. frozen cut green beans, thawed

Combine all ingredients except green beans in slow cooker, stir gently to mix. Cover; cook on low setting 8-10 hours or on high setting for 5-6 hours or until lentils and potatoes are tender.

During last 15 minutes of cooking time, increase setting to high. Stir in green beans; cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until beans are tender.

Makes 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings.

Wanda's Pan-Seared Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries & Pecans
Serves 3-4

1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2/3 cup fresh cranberries
1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup pecans
2 cups barley, cooked (Used Brown Rice)
1 tablespoon maple syrup (Used Brown Sugar)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

Heat skillet with drizzling of olive oil over medium heat. Season brussels sprouts with salt & pepper and combine with cranberries in skillet.

Cook sprouts and cranberries for 8-10 minutes, until berries begin to burst and sprouts become tender. Add balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Stir to coat and remove from heat.

Toss barley, sprouts, cranberries, and pecans in a large bowl. Top with gorgonzola and serve.

Beautiful holiday dish. Next time I will cook the Brussels for about 5 minutes, covered but vented, then uncover and add the cranberries cooking another 5-7 minutes. I added the pecans the last apx. 4 minutes, and finished the recipe as given. I bet the pecans would be great toasted, too.

Main Dishes

Lisa’s Stuffed Peppers

1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomatoes
2 zucchini, grated
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
6 sweet bell peppers (red or yellow)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Pour the tomatoes into a large bowl and break apart using a pair of kitchen shears or your finger tips. Add the zucchini, mint, cheese, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.

Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the orzo and cook for 4 minutes. The orzo should be only partially cooked. Use a fine mesh sieve to transfer the orzo to the large bowl with the other vegetables. Stir the orzo into the vegetable mix to combine. Transfer the warm chicken broth to a 3-quart baking dish.

Slice the tops off the peppers and remove all ribs and seeds. Cut a very thin slice from the base to help the peppers stand up.

Place the peppers in the baking dish with the warm chicken broth. Spoon the orzo mixture into the peppers. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle the top of each pepper with cheese (you can use even a slice of provolone or mozz. on top) and continue baking until the cheese is golden, about 15 minutes.

can Italian tomatoes (28oz)
2 zucchini, grated (put aside 1/2 cup to top the peppers with)
1/2 cup chipped fresh basil
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano (plus a bit more for dusting on top)
1/4 cup EVOO
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 lb italian sausage, cooked and chopped into bits
6 sweet bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)

Preheat oven to 400°F

Pour the tomatoes into a large bown and break apart any tomato clumps. Add zucchini, basil, cheese olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Bring beef broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the orzo and cook for 4 minutes. The orzo should be only partially cooked. Use a fine mesh sieve to transfer the orzo to the large bowl with the other mixture. Add the sausage and stir. Transfer the remaing beef broth to a 3 qt baking dish.

Slice the tops off the peppers and remove all the ribs and seeds. Cut a very thin slice from the base to help the peppers stand up.

Place the peppers in the baking dish with the warm beef broth. Spoon the orzo/sausage mixture into the peppers. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle a bit of the grated zucchini and cheese to the top of each pepper. They continue baking for 15 minutes.

Swedish Meatballs

Heba, I have a recipe from a Swedish cookbook that I have been using for about 10yrs. I add chopped spinach to mine for an extra health kick, plus it's good for Emily. It doesn't affect the taste. I have added shredded carrots in the past. The meatballs and sauce freeze really well. It's time consuming rolling the silly little balls, but worth it in the end. I hope you like it (no pork, just hamburger meat):

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (lean meat works well, too)
1/2 Cup chopped onion
3/4 Cup dry bread crumbs (also can use 2 slices day old bread, crumbled)
1 Tablespoon dry parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1/2 Cup milk
3 TBS shortening

1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 TBS salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 Cups water
3/4 Cup sour cream

To make meatballs (makes about 50 meatballs): mix all meatball ingredients, except shortening, together and form into SMALL balls. In a heavy skillet, brown meatballs in shortening. Turn frequently to brown on all sides. Place browned meatballs in large sauce pan with the sauce. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes.

To make sauce: cook flour, paprika, salt, pepper and water until thickened, stirring often to avoid clumping. Reduce heat; add sour cream and stir until smooth. Do not boil. Add cooked meatballs.

Anna’s Shepard’s Pie

1 pound ground beef
1 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed veggies
1 can (or jar) beef gravy
5-6 medium potatoes
1 egg
1 small chopped onion (optional)

Peel and section potatoes, and set them to boil. Brown the ground beef, and drain. Add 1 can beef gravy and the frozen veggies (I don't use the whole bag, maybe 3/4, your choice) and simmer for 15 minutes on low. If you want to add onion and peppers, add them to the ground beef while browning. While your mixture is simmering, you can add whatever spices you like. I add hickory salt, garlic powder, and ground mixed peppers.

Pour your beef mixture into a pie plate. Whip potatoes, add an egg, and plop on top of the beef mixture (I fluff them upward with a fork). I make a wide ring around the outside, but for more potatoes, you can cover the whole pie plate.

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown. Serve with bread!

Rhonda’s Baked Turkey & Jack Chimichangas

1/2 to 1 lb uncooked ground turkey breast (figure I’ll use burger)
16 oz fat free refried beans
8 oz salsa
4 1/2 oz can mild green chili peppers, drained and diced
1 tsp chili powder
3 tbsp scallions, thinly sliced
1 c shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack Cheese (I used the combo of jack and cheddar)
8 large burrito sized wheat flour tortillas
1 c salsa
1/2 c fat free sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; coat a 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray.

Add turkey to skillet and cook over medium high heat until lightly browned. Drain any excess liquid, and then add beans, 8 oz salsa, chilis, chili powder and scallions. Cook until heated through, about 3-5 minutes; add cheese.

Meanwhile, wrap tortillas in foil; warm in oven for 10 minutes. Assemble chimichangas by spooning about a 1/2 c of turkey mixture onto each tortilla; fold in sides and roll up.

Place chimichangas in baking dish; bake uncovered until tortillas are crisp and brown, about 20 minutes.

Serve topped with sour cream and additional salsa.

Wanda's Potato, Onion and Ham Au Gratin

This came from a William’s Sonoma book many years ago. I’ll give you my version which uses more potatoes. Their version only calls for 5, and I never know how many I’ll need until I’m finished – sorry. I’ve never had too many potatoes or too much ham, only too much nutmeg. It's a great way to use up ham and has always been a hit. (Yes, you really do use that many onions and it's not too much!)

I have an electric vegetable slicer and do all chopping with it. Peel and thinly slice 5 medium to large onions and sauté in 3-4 TBS butter until transparent. Peel and thinly slice 6-8 potatoes to start, more as needed. I probably use around 10-12. Spray a 9 x 11” dish with Pam and place a layer of potatoes on the bottom, covering well and sprinkling with salt, pepper and a very light dusting of nutmeg (careful, it’s easy to use too much!).. Add half of the sautéed onions and cover with sliced or diced ham – as much as you like. Top with the rest of the sautéed onions and another layer of potatoes. Pour 1 ½ cups heavy cream over the top, being careful to moisten ALL surfaces. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.

Bake at 375 for approximately 1 ½ hours, brushing the top of the potatoes several times with an additional ½ cup cream – very important to do so. Bake until tender and golden brown.

Postby Tina » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 am

Tina's Apple Butter

6 large apples peeled/cored/chopped (I use 2-3 different varieties)
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Put all in a crockpot and mix. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, stirring occasionally. Puree with a hand mixer. Keep lid off and cook on high for 1-2 hours - stirring occasionally - until desired consistency. I triple the recipe - it is sooooo good and sooooo easy to make!

I've also make it this way:

8-10 apples peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup apple cider
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
14 tsp ground allspice
3 whole cinnamon sticks
Mix, cover, and turn your crock pot on low. Cook for 8 hours stirring occasionally. When the apples have softened, mash with a potato masher. Remove the lid of the crock pot and cook on high for one hour or until it's thickened to a spreadable consistency, stirring often. Remove the cinnamon sticks and discard.
Last edited by Tina on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sue » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:16 pm

wanda wrote:Carolyn’s Wild Rice Soup

6 Tbsp butter
¼ cup minced onion
½ cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1 cup chopped ham
1 cup cooked chopped chicken
½ cup grated carrots
3 Tbsp slivered almonds
½ tsp salt
1 cup half and half
2 Tbsp dry sherry

Melt butter in saucepan; sauté onion until tender. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil 1 minute.
Stir in ham, rice chicken, carrots, almonds, and salt; simmer 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry. Heat to serving temp.

I usually double.

Note: 1 cup uncooked rice=3-4 cups cooked. 1 cup wild rice, tsp salt in 4 cups water. Simmer 45-55 min.

I make this soup a lot. My tip - I cook the entire package of wild rice and measure and freeze it in ziplocs - then when I make the soup I just throw a bag of frozen rice in to the soup pot. With the rice pre-cooked, this soup is ready to eat very quickly. :grin:

I also then freeze single portions of the soup in ziplocs (even though it's cream based, it freezes and thaws nicely). Ladle the soup in to the ziplocs and then put all the bags on a cookie sheet and freeze. Then you'll have flat pouches of soup that stack easily in the freezer. I freeze all my soup this way - saves a lot of freezer space.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19

Postby Heba » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:23 am

The Swedish meatballs were from Suzanne (Swedish American, married to a Swedish man, living in Stockholm). She was in the April 2000 birth group (and she and I met in the summer of 2003!).

We still need Heather's ooey gooey chocolatey brownies. I had to *gasp* use another recipe when I last made brownies.

Postby Tina » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:20 am

Cranberry Sauce

1 12oz bag fresh cranberries
6 oz. apple cider
1 cinnamon stick

Cook until the cranberries are softened and begin to burst.
Remove from heat and discard cinnamon stick.

Stir in:
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used homemade)
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Can eat warm or chilled.

*My kids won't touch the stuff in a can, but they really like this!

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:08 pm

What a great idea! Two recipes that I know people have tried and liked here are below.

Tisha's Shrimp and Tortellini

1 pound unpeeled, medium sized fresh shrimp
1 package (9 oz) fresh tortellini with cheese filling
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 green onion, diced
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

Peel and devein shrimp. Set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside. Melt butter I. A large skillet over medium high heat; add shrimp, green onion, and basil. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add pasta and cheese; toss gently.

Tisha's Meatloaf

1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup catsup
1 cup cracker crumbs
2 tbls brown sugar
1tbls vinegar
1/2 cup catsup

Combine beef and onion. Mix in milk, eggs, cheese, 1/4 catsup, and cracker crumbs. Place in loaf pan.

Mix brown sugar, vinegar, and remaining catsup together and spread over top of meatloaf. Bake for one hour at 350.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Nancy's lethal brownies

1 Bo's brownie mix for 13x9 inch pan
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 tub chocolate frosting

Prepare brownies according to package directions and then add chocolate chips. Bake according to package directions. Cool brownies for 2-3 minutes and then frost them while they are still hot.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!

Postby Tina » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:32 am

Don't forget while you're pulling out recipes for the holidays or trying new ones, to post them here so they can be added to our cookbook!

Postby Tina » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:13 pm

These were a huge hit on Christmas Eve. Everyone asked for the recipe.

Cocktail Meatballs
(4) 12 oz. bottles of chili sauce (I used medium)
(1) 20 oz. crushed pineapple
(1) 15 oz. can jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 bags small (4oz) frozen meatballs

Mix all ingredients except meatballs in large crockpot (I used a whisk)
Add meatballs , stir to coat
Cook on low for 5 hours
Stir occasionally.

These would be great served over egg noodles for a main dish as well.
Last edited by Tina on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Garden of Eatin'