Favorite meals for freezing?

Favorite meals for freezing?

Postby Tammy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 am

I have been on a bit of a freezer kick lately. We have a full stocked freezer in terms of ingredients, but when life is busy (as it always seem to be, especially during the week) just the ingredients aren't much help. We're not big on prepared foods; prefer the taste (and healthier qualities) of homemade. I have been making some meals ahead on the weekends and freezing them to make things easier. Right now I have four meals in the spare freezer:

Chili and cornbread
Peanut chicken
Pulled pork
Chicken noodle soup

I'd like to start a rotation, so I always have something good already made, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm thinking about adding a baked ziti, salmon, maybe a chicken pie or quiche... Not sure.

What are your favorite meals that freeze well? I know there are websites that instruct you on the whole monthly cooking thing, but every one I have found always seems to include a bunch of things we wouldn't eat.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Re: Favorite meals for freezing?

Postby Tina » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 am

Tomato sauce (meatless or meat/meatball/sausage)
Soups (I make big batches - 2/3 meals each)
Lasagna
Stew
Goulash
Chili
Pulled pork
Taco meat
Meatballs in sauce (for subs)
Sausage w/roasted peppers & onions

I've never tried making anything with fish for the freezer. I always buy fresh and make it the same day, but would love any good recipes that I could prepare and have in the freezer.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Maelyn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Tina got two of my favs'
Taco meat
Lasagna

Also any cassarole dish pretty much will freeze well.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby Linda » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm

what I've done in the past is to make a double or triple batch of whatever we're having for dinner and freeze the extras
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby jane » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

when i worked fewer hours i did this a lot. but one thing i try to keep on hand still is chicken breast that i have grilled and cut into strips. it freezes so well, and i can quickly re stir fry it with some teriyaki and white wine and add veggies and throw over rice, or to add to cheese quesadillas.

we love our quesadilla maker for quesadillas as well as other sandwiches for a quick grilling and cheese melt.

i always make beef barley soup with anything left over from a roast beef meal. i use the recipe on the quaker barley box. i usually let the juices chill overnight in the fridge after the roast meal, then the fat comes off easily to make soup with.

i can't stand when pasta is frozen.

another quick one is to keep pre cooked shrimp in the freezer. and scrambled eggs and toast regularly makes its way to the menu.

good luck, this is so hard, the relentlessness of meal prep.
jane

Postby Tina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Return to Garden of Eatin'