Low sodium diet

Low sodium diet

Postby funnygirl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 am

Mom is now on a low sodium diet - any suggestions on recipes, web sites, etc. She is not fond of chicken, will eat some seafood but not much. She is a comfort food person - meatloaf, mashed potatoes, etc.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Re: Low sodium diet

Postby mobetsy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Cooking Light often has good recipes that tend to be healthier overall.

The trick tends to be staying away from processed foods, which often have lots of sodium, even if they are lower in fat.

Read labels carefully and make choices accordingly. For example, regular canned diced tomatoes usually have ten times the sodium of the no salt added ones, and in almost all recipes that extra sodium really makes little difference in taste. Ditto for canned beans and corn; if you do buy the regular kind, at least rinse them before adding them to the recipe. Often different brands of similar items will have significantly different amounts of sodium. It takes some work at first, but then you get used to grabbing the lower sodium item without even thinking about it.

We have used a couple of the Mrs. Dash products for years; they can work well in things like meatloaf, scrambled eggs, etc.

Does she have to be on a low fat diet as well? Sometimes you can trade off sodium for fat, like making mashed potatoes with real (unsalted) butter, rather than adding salt. Or make them with a bit of low sodium chicken broth mixed in, which adds extra flavor but little salt or fat. In most recipes that aren't baked goods, you can reduce salt by 50% or more without even noticing.

Much of it is simply a matter of adjusting taste buds, which is harder for an older person because she may have a diminished ability to taste without extra seasoning. But I know that I rarely add salt to anything except baked goods, and many foods taste too salty to me now.
mobetsy

Re: Low sodium diet

Postby funnygirl » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

Low sodium - high protein.

My sister made her quite a bit of food - spagetti sauce, cooked metaballs, meatloafs, so hopefully it will hold for a while. And I will be bringing her dinner for a while as well.

Thanks for the ideas Betsy.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Return to Garden of Eatin'