What's your best halloween recipes?

What's your best halloween recipes?

Postby holliejjj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 am

Stuart and I are throwing a last minute Halloween party and it's been a few years since I've had a Halloween party.

What are your fave halloween recipes.
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine

Re: What's your best halloween recipes?

Postby mobetsy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 am

1. Go to Target and purchase large bags of favorite candy
2. Open bags and pour in bowl.

Sorry, I am not much help on this one! Have a fun party :D

Postby Tara » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:30 am

I am not super creative, but recall a few things from Halloween Parties we used to have:
1. Take Fudge stripe cookie and turn upside down, use orange frosting (kind you can squirt from can), and line the hole of the cookie and then add a hershey kiss. Makes a great witch hat
2. mold rice crispy treats in shape of ghost, dip in white chocolate and add chocolate chips for eyes
3. pretzel rods with chocolate melted over a cookie on end to make broom stick
4. Take a disposable glove and rinse out well. Add water and freeze. Now add the frozen hand to a bowl of punch.

That's all I remember off top of my head. If I have time I will look up some more.

Postby wanda » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:32 am

We had a Halloween party for one of Courtney's birthday's. I still have the album on shutterfly and am posting a link to the food table and our dessert, which was essentially her birthday cake. You can see where most of the foods were things kids like to eat, except I tried to have lots of black and orange things. The punch had frozen peeled grapes frozen in icecubes filled with a reddish punch (bloodshot eyeballs). This was the party where we bobbed for apples, something most had never done, did the mummy wrap with toilet paper, hot pumpkin (like hot potato), pin the nose on the pumpkin, etc. These teens had a blast being kids again.

Years ago, with Brian's parties, I used to make a witch's brew punch using dry ice.

Food table - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... GrJi2aNmbL
Dessert - http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... GrJi2aNmba
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon

Postby April » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am

A Halloween *Kitty Litter Cake* that is made in a kitty littler box and scooped out with a litter scoop. It is made with cake mix, jello, and tootsie rolls and is a big HOOT! Went over big at my Bunco Halloween party. Here is the recipe:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/ki ... -halloween

Recipe for Kitty Litter Cake for Halloween. This clever Halloween cake recipe, that frightfully resembles a well used kitty litter box, is actually delicious, despite its appearance. Worth a click for the photo alone.

* 1 spice or German chocolate cake mix
* 1 white cake mix
* 2 large packages vanilla instant pudding mix, prepared
* 1 large package vanilla sandwich cookies
* green food coloring
* 12 small Tootsie Roll candies
* You'll also need:
* 1 new kitty litter pan
* 1 new kitty litter pan liner
* 1 new pooper scooper

1. Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions (any size pans).
2. Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble.
3. Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but about 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup cookie crumbs, add a few drops green food coloring and mix until completely colored.
4. When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the remaining white cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Important: mix in just enough of the pudding to moisten it. You don't want it too soggy. Combine gently.
5. Line a new, clean kitty litter box. Put the cake/pudding/cookie mixture into the litter box.
6. Put 3 unwrapped Tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat with 3 more Tootsie rolls bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Scatter the green cookie crumbs lightly on top of everything -- this is supposed to look like the chlorophyll in kitty litter.
7. Heat 3 Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake; sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Spread remaining Tootsie Rolls over the top. For the coup de gras take one Tootsie Roll and heat until pliable, hang it over the side of the kitty litter box, sprinkling it lightly with cookie crumbs. Place the box on a newspaper and sprinkle a few of the cookie crumbs around for a truly disgusting effect!
8. Further notes: I had a reader write in saying this recipe only needed half the amount of pudding. I personally liked the cake with the amount given in this recipe. But feel free to use this as a loose guideline, use more or less as you see the need. Also, since the layer of cookies (with the chloropyll green specks, covers the top, you could really use any flavor or flavors or cakes underneath. Last but not least, you can also opt not to crumble the cakes, but rather layer them in the pan with the layers of pudding in between (much like you would layer a trifle into a trifle dish), sprinkle the top layer of pudding with a heavy layer of crumbled cookies. Same effect, different texture entirely to the dessert.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby holliejjj » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 am

thank you thank you
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:28 am

bump for Tina
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image

Postby Tina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 4/23
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR

Return to Garden of Eatin'