Christmas dinner

Christmas dinner

Postby funnygirl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:03 am

Do you do anything special from Thanksgiving? As a kid, we did the full turkey dinner again. As an adult, I lean more towards ham. That was our New Years Day dinner, but I am shifting my parents to have this as our Christmas meal.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Re: Christmas dinner

Postby Lesley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 am

I'm making lasagna this year. It's a lot easier than anything else.
Lesley

Postby erin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:47 am

We always do like a full t hanksgiving dinner again. What can I say, I like Turkey.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Esther » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:53 am

We are doing ham. It's traditional for us. Heck, we had a ham on Thanksgiving and it was eaten up way before the turkey that DH made. I don't like turkey. My kids much prefer ham anyhow.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby CarolC » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:57 am

Our youth group is selling smoked hams as a fundraiser, so I am buying one of those, and I don't even cook Christmas dinner -- we go to my grandmother's. My parents will be here Christmas morning, so I will have ham biscuits, a breakfast casserole, banana bread, and fruit for breakfast. I think Mike's aunt, cousin, and her family will come by after Christmas Eve service, so I will probably (again!) have ham biscuits and some other finger food type things.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
CarolC

Postby April » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Like Lesley, I always do Italian- mostly lasagne because I can make it ahead and simply do that, a salad, and bread. We eat so much between Christmas Eve and our Christmas brunch that it is silly to do anything bigger. Plus, I want to relax! I am always beat tired after all the festivities!

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Maelyn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:28 pm

My parents do Christmas Eve and it's often lasagna or Mexican buffet. This year they are taking the easy way out and ordering a large sub for the crew.

We actually don't do a meal on Christmas day. We do snack buffet. Typical items laid out include, BBQ Meatballs, Chicken fingers, mini quiches, pizza rolls, veggie tray, meat and cheese tray, nacho dip and chips, hummus and pita, and this year mini spanikopita. We also have cinnamon rolls and sometimes caramel popcorn and / or cookies.

I'm amazed that the boys really do gravitate towards a balanced mix of foods and were really bummed when I said we weren't doing tomato / mozzerlla skewers this year unless I had help (Cam volunteered quickly).
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby TinaMarie » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:34 pm

We do the full Turkey dinner just like Thanksgiving!
Tina, mom to Brady 19, Dylan 19, Cameron 13 and Kylee 13

ImageImageImageImage
TinaMarie

Postby Tammy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Maelyn wrote:We actually don't do a meal on Christmas day. We do snack buffet. Typical items laid out include, BBQ Meatballs, Chicken fingers, mini quiches, pizza rolls, veggie tray, meat and cheese tray, nacho dip and chips, hummus and pita, and this year mini spanikopita. We also have cinnamon rolls and sometimes caramel popcorn and / or cookies.

I love this idea! Just may have to try something like that.

We usually do Chinese takeout on Christmas Eve, so no one has to cook, and the Chinese restaurants around here usually keep regular hours that evening when everyone else closes early. It may sound odd, but it's kind of a fun family tradition now.

I usually make a big dinner for Christmas Day, though not turkey. I like turkey, but I'm just not into it again so soon after Thanksgiving. I usually make a ham or lasagna with lots of desserts. I am actually planning our menu today and still haven't settled on what it will be this year. Amy's idea is sounding better and better.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby funnygirl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Huh. Wonder if I can beg off Christmas, although this is year 1 post divorce. TIme to set new traditions.

I could see if the kids were with me, we could do the buffet thing, but since they will be with their dad on Christmas Day, I don't think I can get out of dinner with my parents.

And we are going out to dinner after church on Christmas Eve. That is a first.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Maelyn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Tammy wrote:
Maelyn wrote:We actually don't do a meal on Christmas day. We do snack buffet. Typical items laid out include, BBQ Meatballs, Chicken fingers, mini quiches, pizza rolls, veggie tray, meat and cheese tray, nacho dip and chips, hummus and pita, and this year mini spanikopita. We also have cinnamon rolls and sometimes caramel popcorn and / or cookies.

I love this idea! Just may have to try something like that.

We usually do Chinese takeout on Christmas Eve, so no one has to cook, and the Chinese restaurants around here usually keep regular hours that evening when everyone else closes early. It may sound odd, but it's kind of a fun family tradition now.

I usually make a big dinner for Christmas Day, though not turkey. I like turkey, but I'm just not into it again so soon after Thanksgiving. I usually make a ham or lasagna with lots of desserts. I am actually planning our menu today and still haven't settled on what it will be this year. Amy's idea is sounding better and better.

My mom started the tradition years ago. It makes for a very laid back Christmas day and no one is frantic about meal times or a big meal. We do the same thing New Years day sometimes altering what's laid out but no one goes hungry.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby Linda » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:22 pm

We usually do an English Christmas dinner with Roast beef, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, a couple of veggies and then mince pies and Christmas pudding for afters,

This year though, money is a little tight and I have a turkey in the freezer so....

We're having a turkey dinner instead - with mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed onions, mashed swedes, carrots, cranberry salad, brussels sprouts - but we'll stick with the English afters.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Ashley Anne » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:03 pm

We eat with my parents (at my house) and go back and forth, depending on our mood, between the turkey dinner feast and a red meat. My mom doesn't eat red meat, so it has to be a special occasion!! My husband's family gathers on a weekend day before or after Christmas for THEIR Christmas and we do a traditional Seven Fish Dinner (which actually starts at noon and goes all day), so my family never does fish! (my parents and brothers and whoever is around attend 7 Fish as well; it is always at my house.)

This year we are doing . . . um, some beef thing. Prime rib, I think. My parents picked the recipe and are buying the meat because they had somewhere special to get it.

For Christmas Eve we ALWAYS have fettuccine alfredo.

This year 7 Fish is Sunday, so it will be a weekend of food, food, and more food!
Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby ann » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Same as usual. We travel for Christmas.

Christmas eve we'll be at FIL's. SIL will bring ham. We'll bring rolls, veggie, dessert.

Christmas morning we'll have brunch made by my mom. My sister and I always make lunch- lasagna, garlic bread, salad. For supper we'll be at my sister's house and have a light dinner of soup and cold cut sandwiches.
Ann
mama of Avery (11), Ben (10), Noelle (9), Lindsey (7)

*the pic portion of my signature is under construction*
ann

Postby Tina » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Christmas day is always at my Mom's. Was over there tonight and found out what we're having. We always start out with shrimp cocktail and assorted cheese and crackers. She's making pork chops, mashed potatoes, salad, veggies for dinner. After that we all go to my nephew's and have assorted desserts with my oldest brother's family. I get to see my godchild - can't wait!
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Sue » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Christmas Eve we do the finger food buffet. We used to have brunch as our big meal on Christmas - ham, cinnamon rolls, fruit etc. When the kids were little for a few years we switched it up to dinner because they were too excited to eat ... all that work for an untouched meal, but they'd eat later in the day. THIS year they admitted they don't much like ham. :roll: So we'll still do the cinnamon rolls in the morning, plus I'm making a quiche for me. No one else will eat it and that's fine. And we're having a big old roast for dinner.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:50 pm

We do Christmas day lunch at my mom's (whatever the mood strikes for her) and dinner at my MIL's (usually soup). I don' t anything special for Christmas Eve. I go all out for Thanksgiving and figure that's it for me....
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby jane » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:09 pm

often I grill beef tenderloin for Xmas Eve dinner for the inlaws, but this year I've asked my MIL to make her old fashioned chicken fried steak and gravy. I think I overestimated her energy...lately she is just barely walking so I'm thinking I"ll park her on a stool at the stove and do most of the work. I will boil and mash the potatoes Thurs night and then pop them in the oven on Fri evening. Also I'm making cottage bread in the breadmaker and green bean casserole. Totally not our typical Xmas Eve dinner but it will be fine. I'm trying to gently let the girls understand that this may be G'mas last Xmas, or at least the last one where she's mobile.

Xmas Day...no traditions, really. We keep it just to our little family of four and I usually make cinnamon rolls for breakfast and a large, late lunch with whatever for dinner that night. I haven't thought that far ahead this year, no days off to think! And I think the biggest gift I give myself on Xmas Day is a rule of NO cleaning or projects, just hanging out with my family or with a book. Often we sled that day too, or work puzzles or games.

My kids have completely planned NYE, however!! They made a shopping list and a NetFlix list, too funny.
jane

Postby Sharon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Add this to that long list of things I have not got around to. I'm thinking either ham or turkey.
Sharon

Postby jennc » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 pm

We go to DH's parents on Eve and it's hors de ouvres (sp?) mainly, desserts, and a tray of ham/turkey/etc to make sandwiches on rolls. Finger foods.

My mom informed me she is sick of turkey and so for Christmas day at my parents we are having prime rib.

On Christmas Eve for the last 5+ years I have made homemade cinnamon rolls and give a pan to my best friend. That is Christmas am breakfast and I look forward to them every year.

Day after Christmas we host all of Dh's college friends and their wives/girlfriends. I have NO CLUE what I am making this year. YIKES!
Jenn C, Lucky Mother of two!
jennc

Next

Return to Garden of Eatin'