Christmas dinner

Re: Christmas dinner

Postby mobetsy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 am

On Christmas Eve, we eat dinner with the church staff and volunteers who are doing both services and don't have a lot of time in-between; this year, it's going to be chili. In previous years, Tom and the boys have come to the early service and then gone home after dinner, but this year Andrew is an acolyte and Stephen the thurifer at the late service, and Tom and Stephen are on at the early service too, so we'll all be there for both. I will think it sounds like a nice way to spend the evening once I have my sermon done!

On Christmas Day, we're joined by my mom and stepdad, SIL, and aunt and uncle. We'll have ham and turkey, cranberry salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, a veggie, pies, and appetizers, with no one having to do too much.

We want to have leftovers, because the day after we always host a leftover party, inviting a whole bunch of church friends to come to our house with their leftovers (still in plastic, foil, or whatever) for a giant potluck. It is tremendously fun and a good way to ease the let down of the day after. Church in the morning this year, but we're skipping two of our services and only doing one.
mobetsy

Postby funnygirl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:41 am

AA - what is a Seven Fish Dinner? Never heard of that.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby ruffages » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:55 am

Christmas Eve is appetizers at the ILs. MIL is making hot beefs and buffalo wings. I haven't decided what I am bringing yet. Probably the baked brie.

Christmas morning is Cinnamon rolls, eggs, sausage and fruit. Just us. Christmas Dinner is traditional Prime Rib, mashed potatoes, gravy, popovers/yorkshire pudding, wine and garlic soaked 'shrooms, and asparagus. Chris doesn't care for turkey either and the kids aren't huge fans of ham. Dyl requested a break from the vanilla bean cheesecake, asking I make creme brulee instead, which is an easy enough switch. This is probably Chris' favorite meal. EVAH.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby TinaMarie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 pm

Carolyn - Would love to know the recipe for the wine and garlic soaked 'shrooms! Sounds delish!!!
Tina, mom to Brady 19, Dylan 19, Cameron 13 and Kylee 13

ImageImageImageImage
TinaMarie

Postby mamaotter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:02 pm

I generally make filet mignon or prime rib on Christmas Day, usually the filet mignon. I don't recall what my mom traditionally made for Christmas growing up, I think she always switched it up!

For Christmas Eve this year we're having Cornish game hens.
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby Heba » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Wow, this is really interesting - I though *everyone* ate Turkey at Christmas!
We're having turkey :). But a few years ago I switched to a turkey dinner on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day we have finger food. Much less fraught.
Heba

Postby ruffages » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:51 pm

TinaMarie wrote:Carolyn - Would love to know the recipe for the wine and garlic soaked 'shrooms! Sounds delish!!!

It's mostly a TLAR (that looks about right) recipe. I use at least 1 lb mushrooms, either button or sliced. If button I will cut them in half if they're really big. When buying sliced they usually cut them pretty thick. A stick of butter, melted in a sautee pan. Add a good Tbs of chopped garlic. Add mushrooms. Then add wine. A dry(ish)Red wine (cab/merlot/shiraz). It doesn't have to be super expensive (as a matter of fact, Chris HATES it when I use our drinking wine) but something you would drink. If it's not why would you want to eat mushrooms soaked in it? At least 1 cup, but you can add more. Have burner on low and just let the mushrooms sweat their water, then absorb the wine. The longer you cook the better. If the heat is too high the mushrooms will not reabsorb the wine and they'll end up half the size. They WILL shrink up a bit but if you keep the temp low, it won't be too much. I usually try to put these on a good 1-2 hours before we eat at least.

I have friends who HATE mushrooms, but LOVE these.

Enjoy.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Lizzie » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Spiral ham here for Christmas dinner...Carolyn the mushrooms sound so yummy!!!!
Lizzie

Postby TinaMarie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:31 am

Thanks Carolyn!! Can't wait to try it!!
Tina, mom to Brady 19, Dylan 19, Cameron 13 and Kylee 13

ImageImageImageImage
TinaMarie

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:29 am

We ended up frying a turkey...
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Esmeralda » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 am

Jumping on late here, but we always eat Christmas dinner at my parent's house and my mom makes her homemade spaghetti. I know that isn't a typical Christmas dinner but it is tradition here. We also have plenty of appetizers. Christmas Eve is usually a beef tenderloin with lots of good side dishes.

New experience for me as I spent Christmas Eve with Eric and his boys and we went out to dinner and a movie!
Last edited by Esmeralda on Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby cherir » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:28 am

We had prime rib, mashed taters, Coca Cola Salad, deviled eggs, rolls, cranberry sauce. Love everything except the price of the prime rib! lol

Cheri

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No one needs a smile as much as a person who fails to give one." Unknown
cherir

Postby wanda » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 am

cherir wrote: Coca Cola Salad

Never heard of that...what is it?

It was just Fred, Courtney, me and a picture of Brian and we had prime rib. Prime rib was cooked to perfection and so good. Side dishes were mushrooms, garlic and red onions in wine, horseradish sauce, spinach rice, glazed carrots, homemade green bean casserole, and rolls. So good!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Previous

Return to Garden of Eatin'