So far I have come up with:

Cheese/Crackers
Knorr Spinach Dip in bread bowl with veggies
Stuffed Mushrooms
Maybe a quiche(?)
Lizzie

Re: Holiday Appetizers?

Postby funnygirl » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:27 pm

I won't do too many this year, otherwise no one is hungry!

I like:

Hot artichoke dip

Salami rolls w/cream cheese

veggie tray
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby ruffages » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Bakes Stuffed Brie. It's super easy and can be done a variety of ways. I like doing it with puff pastry. Take the smaller size brie (8 oz) cut it in half horizontally. Fill with...well, really whatever you want. I have used dried cherries/cranberries, walnuts and brown sugar, or pistachios and honey. Wrap it up so no brie is showing. I give it an egg wash (but I also take any excess puff pastry and cut it out with tiny cookie cutters and make a design on it...for Christmas usually holly and berries) and bake it at 400 for about 30 min. Serve with fresh slices of apple and pear and slices of french bread.

I've also done it where instead of wrapping it, I chopped up apples, pears, walnuts, honey and cinnamon and put in in the middle and on top (no puff pastry) and bake it at 400 for about 20-25 min...enough for the brie to become almost runny. Serve with bread or crackers.

I make Ashley's blue cheese ball but roll it in cajun spiced pecans.

Bruschetta

Scotch Eggs

Spring Rolls if I REALLY like my guests and want to WOW them.

Bacon Wrapped Smokies These are REALLY good and pretty easy.

That's off the top of my head.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 pm

gouda cheese wrapped in crescent roll dough and baked until the dough is golden brown - mmmm....yummy!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sweet and Creamy Pumpkin Dip

• 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
• 2 C. confectioners’ sugar
• 1 tin (15 oz) pumpkin
• 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice
• ½ tsp. Ground ginger
• ¼ tsp. Orange extract

Heat cream cheese on a microwave safe plate for 15 seconds. Blend cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar until smooth in a mixer or food processor. Add pumpkin and remaining ingredients. Mix or blend thoroughly.

Chill 30 minutes or until ready to serve.

Serve with apple slices or gingersnap cookies.

Healthier version: substitute Splenda for the confectioner’s sugar and switch to a low-fat cream cheese.

Serves 20
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Cheese Diablo Wafers

1 C. flour
½ lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
½ C. butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp cayenne (less for a milder wafer)

Mix all ingredients. Shape into 1” balls. Arrange 2” apart on baking sheets. Bake at 450 for @ 6 min. Serve hot or cold. Freezes well.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Veggie Tortilla Pinwheels

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
4 tsp ranch salad dressing mix
½ cup chopped broccoli
½ cup chopped cauliflower
¼ cup chopped green onions
¼ cup chopped stuffed olives
5 (8”) flour tortillas

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and salad dressing mix. Stir in the veggies. Spread over tortillas; roll up tightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Unwrap and cut into ½” slices.

Yield: @ 5 dozen
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
shrimp dip - I'm waiting on this recipe from my former roommate - she makes it every holiday and she's promised me the recipe this year since she won't be here to make it
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby ruffages » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:50 am

OK...here's another. But this may be a mid-west thing. Pickle wraps.
Take about 4 slices of corned beef (the kind that's really thin, like buddig, and you can use any kind of meat, I happen to think the corned beef is the best) and carefully smear each slice with cream cheese (a thin layer, it's really just "glue" so it doesn't have to be perfect) then stack them (so they stick together). On the top piece smear with cream cheese (a little thicker) place a whole dill pickle (that has been drained on paper towels) and wrap up and refrigerate. Slice into rounds. Oddly, they're very good.

Another easy one. Take a can of biscuits and separate out the biscuits (8). Cut each one into 1/4 (32). Flatten each quarter and wrap around an olive. Roll in grated parmasean cheese (and any spice you may want to kick it up...like a splash of cayenne) and bake per biscuit directions...8-10 min.

Another mid-west one...Meatballs (frozen or you can use smokies too) 1 12 oz jar chili sauce, 1 10oz jar grape jelly. Mix chili sauce and jelly, put meatballs in crock and pour sauce over and heat til warm. My sil also adds a pkg of shredded cabbage at the bottom which wilts to nothing.

Wings...drummy and middle piece (no tips) in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 for about 30 min. Drain the grease. Mix 1 cup apricot jam, 1 pkg onion soup mix, and 1 cup russian (or western) dressing. Brush over partially cooked wings, bake for 30 min, turn over, glaze and bake another 30 min.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Maelyn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 pm

We also do the meatballs. Sometimes in BBQ sauce and sometimes in what Carolyn described... and once in maranara sauce with mozzerlla cheese cubes on the side.

Another favorite here is tomato / mozzerlla skewers with balsamic vinegrette over them.

Tev created his own favorite of Grape and cheddar skewers.

And the other one I do is pigs in a blanket (biscuit dough around either small pieces of hotdog or mini sausages with mustard and ketchup for dipping).

Speaking of... need to be thinking about this for the holidays. We have munchy days on those days and just leave out healhy (mostly) snacking stuff all day. No meal prep :D Go me.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby holliejjj » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:23 pm

What's always a big hit here is the hot buffalo chicken dip
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Postby Lizzie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:01 pm

I am drooling! Thanks guys!!! :P
Lizzie

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I second the brie cheese with fruit on the top and in the middle, as well as the artichoke dip. I am hungry just thinking about all of this good food. I want to eat lots of appetizers, but then I am not as hungry for Thanksgiving dinner. What a terrible problem to have.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby funnygirl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 am

Just got this from my Bunco Friend.

ITALIAN FLOWER BLOSSOM

3 Ounces sun-dried tomatoes - drained and finely chopped

2 8ounces packages cream cheese softened

1 clove garlic minced

1 sliced provolone cheese

8 ounces pesto

in a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and garlic. Line a medium bowl or loaf pan with a large piece of dampened cheese cloth (I used wax paper)

layer with 1/3 of the provolone cheese. Spread with 1/2 the pesto. Pour in 1/2 the cream cheese and garlic mixture. Layer with 1/2 the sun-dried tomatoes. Layer with 1/3 provolone, remaining pesto, remaining cream cheese and garlic mixture and remaining sun-dried tomatoes. Top with remaining provolone cheese.

Pull cheese cloth around the layered mixture and gently press into a bowl to mold and remove excess oil. Chill in the refrigerator 3 to 40 hours. remove cheese cloth and turn upside down onto a large dish to serve..
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Maelyn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:46 am

Sue - that was good at Bunco last time I came. Great to have the recipe!
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby funnygirl » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:48 am

Are you coming to Bunco tomorrow???
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Postby Lesley » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:23 pm

These are awesome:

Spinach Balls

2 10-oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
2 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix, dry
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp thyme

Cook spinach according to directions. Drain VERY well. Place spinach in large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients as listed. Mix well. Shape into 1-inch diameter balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 325-degree oven, 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately.
Lesley

Return to Garden of Eatin'