lentil recipes?

lentil recipes?

Postby jane » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:22 pm

I bought my first bag of dried lentils today...$.76 cents, and packed with fiber, what a bargain. I saw a recipe on the bag for lentils, onions, 1/2 pound lean ground beef, other veggies and broth for a beef soup. What are other ways I can learn to incorporate lentils? We do eat a lot of burritos so I can see mixing them in with black beans, corn and taco meat, or maybe even eliminating the meat.

I know Linda HSM uses them a lot, please help. I think my DH will be on bored but probably not kids, oh well. I also bought a fresh box of barley. I ate the yummiest soup at a deli last week: chopped portabello mushrooms and barley in broth, maybe some onions and herbs, divine. These things are not hard just hard to think of. Thanks!
jane

Re: lentil recipes?

Postby Tina » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:58 am

I typically don't use recipes, but we love lentil soup and lentil stew. Both near the same but the stew has a thicker broth and potatoes, and the soup has thinner broth and pasta. Sometimes I make with meat - either sausage or ham. Veggies would include celery, onion, carrots and diced tomatoes. Also use fresh garlic, and lots of herbs. YUM...you've made me hungry. I'll have to go pick up some lentils tomorrow.

P.S. I cook the whole bag and each makes enough for several meals. Both freeze very well.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Government Cheese » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:52 am

I make mjadara out of brown lentils.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Mujadarra-168793 (my comments are by shushu)

you can also curry them.

For the red/orange I make adas http://www.recipezaar.com/Shorbat-AdasM ... oup-287666
Mom of THREE!
Government Cheese
Site Admin

Postby Tina » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:12 am

KL- That sounds so good. I just bookmarked it. That will be in my next rotation!
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Heba » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:12 am

Jane, what kind (colour) are they? I do different things with the different kinds.
Heba

Postby jane » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:13 pm

just plain light brown, Heba. Thanks for the ideas, gals!
jane

Postby Linda » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Curried Sweet-Potato and Lentil Soup
2 T. canola oil
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 large stalks of celery
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 T. curry powder
1 T. grated peeled fresh ginger (I used dry ground ginger)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
6 cups water
3 1/2 cups homemade broth
1 package (16 ounces) dry lentils, rinsed and picked through
1. In 6-quart Dutch oven, or large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, celery, and onion, and cook until onion is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, and ground red pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. To vegetables in Dutch oven, add water, broth and lentils; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 40 to 45 minutes. . Makes about 14 cups or 8 main-dish servings.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Lentil Chili

• 1-1/4 cups dry lentils (half a pound)
• 4 cups tap water
• 2 tablespoons oil or bacon grease
• 1 to 2 tablespoons dry onions
• 3 beef bouillon cubes
• 15 oz can tomatoes
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• Dash hot pepper flakes or Tabasco sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Place the lentils and the water in a large pot. Put the pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat so that the lentils are simmering gently. Cook for 30 minutes. Do not add the other ingredients until after the lentils have cooked. If the lentils begin to get dry, or if their water boils away then add more water. You want the lentils to remain juicy while they cook. When your 30 minutes are up, add all of the remaining ingredients. Simmer the chili for 15 to 20 minutes and serve with crackers or cornbread or over rice. Makes 4 servings.

This is a very good chili recipe. If you have ground beef or turkey, or some cooked chicken, you can add these to the chili too. About 1/2 a pound of ground meat or about 1 cup of cooked meat will be plenty. This recipe doesn't need meat to taste good though. It is excellent just the way it is.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Potato Lentil Curry

3 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 large onion , diced
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 Tbsp. Curry powder
1 C. brown lentils
1 ¼ C. chicken broth
1 lb potatoes, cut into 1” chunks
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 tsp. Salt
1 ½ C. water
1 C. broccoli

In a 4-qt saucepan over medium heat; heat the olive oil and in it cook the onion about 5 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and curry powder; cook another minute, stirring frequently.

Add the lentils, broth, potatoes, carrots, salt and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the broccoli; simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables and lentils are tender.

Serves 6

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Taco Style Lentils and Rice

3/4 cup dry lentils
3/4 cup brown rice
4 cups tap water
2 tbsp oil
4 beef flavored bouillon cubes (or a spoon of beef base or you can omit or…)
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
In a 2 qt saucepan bring the water and oil to a boil. When the water is heated, add the lentils, rice, bouillon, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring the whole thing to a rapid boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 50 minutes. The water should be mostly absorbed. You may serve as is, topped with a little cheddar cheese, or you can use it to fill burritos or tacos.
Can also be cooked in the crock-pot with good results

Image Image
Linda

Postby Linda » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Savoury Lentil and Canadian bacon Soup

• 1 lb dried lentils (2 ¼ C.) sorted and rinsed
• 2 tins (14.5 oz each) vegetable broth
• 1 package (6 oz) Canadian bacon, coarsely chopped OR 1 ½ C. cooked ham, coarsely chopped
• 2 medium carrots, cut into ½” pieces (1 C.)
• 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into ½” pieces (1 C.)
• 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 C.)
• 4 C. water
• 1 tsp. Thyme

Mix all ingredients in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours (or on high for 3-5 hours) or until lentils are tender. Stir well before serving.

Makes 8 servings

Each serving = 1 starch, 1 lean meat and 4 vegetable exchanges

Calories = 200
Fat = 2 g
Carbohydrates = 39 g (13 fibre)
Protein = 19g

Image Image
Linda

Postby jane » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Linda, thanks! The chili and taco ones sound like familiar dishes to us so maybe that'd make it go over better? I also think the one with sweet pot and curry sounds good too. Thanks so much for posting.
jane

Postby Lizzie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:48 pm

What an awesome thread! Enjoy your lentils, Jane! I usually make lentil soup in my crock pot...a big hit and inexpensive to boot!
Lizzie

Postby mobetsy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm

I used to make a delicious lentil chili; this makes me think that I haven't done so in ages! Good looking recipes here.
mobetsy

Postby wanda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:30 pm

I make this lentil and split pea soup that came out of Southen Living. It's supposed to be baked, but I always just do it on the stove top. Lentil's cook so darn quickly, that the oven doesn't make sense! I cut the celery in half, but that's really the only change I've made. It's great with the yogurt and cucumbers. Here's a link I found - http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... _id=258126
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Heba » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:16 am

Mmm yum all these recipes sound fab!

My staple brown lentil recipe is a sort of bolonaise sauce:
- saute one chopped onion
- add one chopped pepper (any colour you like) and a crushed clove of garlic
- stir in a spoon-ish of tomato puree if you like (I've dropped this cos we rarely have it in)
- add one or two tins of tomatoes and a shaking of dried herbs and soy sauce (if you eat it - we don't any more, and it's OK without)
- add in your cooked brown lentils and simmer for a while.

Eat with spaghetti, or use as a base for lasagna or mousaka (the lentil/aubergine combination sounds weird but is really good!), or top with mashed potatoes and cheese for shepherd-less pie. You can also simmer till thick, then mash with breadcrumbs or the like and make fritters for frying.
Heba

Postby Heba » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:18 am

Linda, that's almost exactly what I'm making for dinner tomorrow! Except I'm using red lentils, not brown.
Mmm.
Heba

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 am

bump for Tina

Image Image
Linda

Return to Garden of Eatin'