I want your best-ever-dessert recipe

I want your best-ever-dessert recipe

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:26 am

We are having a soup lunch at church Sunday to raise money for a retreat. I have to bring a dessert. I want something that is FABULOUS.

Bring 'em on.....
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby Stephanie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:35 am

This cake will make you famous. Do not make it unless you want to be expected to bring it to every function in the future! From Southern Living but we renamed it because their name (something like candy bar cake?) for it was really wimpy for such amazing cake.

Chocolate Snowstorm

1 chocolate cake mix
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 (1.5 oz) Hershey Bars
1 (12 oz) container of Cool Whip, thawed

• Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Pour into 3 greased 8-inch round cakepans.
• Bake at 325 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
• Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and granulated sugar at medium speed until mixture is creamy.
• Chop or grate 8 candy bars finely. Fold cream cheese mixture and chopped candy into whipped topping.
• Spread icing between the layers on top and sides of cake. Chop remaining 2 candy bars. Sprinkle half of the chocolate over the cake. Press remaining chocolate along the bottom edge of the cake.

My Notes:
• I use three 9 inch pans.
• I usually just cool the cakes in the pan.
• I grate the chocolate, works really well if you have a food processor or the grating attachment on a kitchen aid.
• Do not try to grate or chop cold chocolate bars, room temp work MUCH better.
• I normally use 6-7 candy bars in the frosting and 1-2 for the top.
• I prefer to buy a 16-oz thing of Cool Whip. I start by adding only the portion that I think would be 12 oz, but by the end usually end up adding nearly the entire thing. I like it better with a little extra Cool Whip and a little less of the chocolate bars.
• To make it even more wow, I have added chocolate covered strawberries to the top.
Stephanie, mom to Anna, Abby & Garrett
Stephanie

Postby ruffages » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:44 am

I love my cheesecakes. I have two that are favorites:

White Chocolate-Ginger Cheesecake
CRUST
13 oz gingersnap cookies (about 50 cookies
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
6 ½ tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

Butter a 9 in springform pan. Wrap outside of pan with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Finely grind cookies, sugar, ginger in processor. Add butter; blend until moist clumps form. Press into bottom and up sides of pan. Chill while preparing filling.

FILLING
1 lb good-quality (Bakers, Lindt…don’t go cheap or it won’t melt well) white chocolate (I actually used only 12 oz and it was STILL wonderful), finely chopped
4-8oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tsp ground ginger
2/3 cup minced crystallized ginger (I would get the spice island ginger and use the whole jar…not quite 2/3 cup but plenty)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 300. Stir white chocolate over a double boiler set over hot water until chocolate melts. Cool to lukewarm. Stirring occasionally.

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until fluffy, about 3 min. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla and ground ginger. Gradually beat in melted chocolate. Stir in crystallized ginger. Transfer filling to prepared crust. Put springform pan in large roasting pan and pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of springform pan. Bake until cheesecake puffs and cracks slightly, about 1 ½ hours (NOTE: BOTH times I’ve made this, I have had to bake it at LEAST 2 hours. But it might have been that I was using a 8 ½ in pan instead of 9 in pan…I’d just watch it carefully). Transfer cake to rack. Run small knife around the sides to loosen. Cool completely. Remove foil from pan and Chill overnight.

the other,

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
Nilla Wafer crustt:
1 1/2 cups nilla wafers crushed
1/4 cup ground pecans (I actually prefer walnuts, and I toast them first)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons melted butter

Cheesecake filling:
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese (softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 vanilla beans
4 eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a bowl, mix together the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and ground pecans if you have them. Add the butter and mix well. Press evenly into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar a few tablespoons at a time and then the flour and vanilla extract. Add the eggs and heavy cream, beating on low speed until it is all combined. Split open your vanilla beans and scrape out the seeds and guts inside the bean. Add this to your batter. Save your split beans to garnish the top of the cheesecake.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake in the middle of the oven until set, the center should be slightly soft. It should bake for 55 to 70 minutes. Remove from the oven, loosen the outer ring and let cool in the pan.
Refrigerate the cake, for about 6 hours, then remove the outer ring. Top with the vanilla beans and a sprig of something green like peppermint leaf.

The Vanilla bean cheesecake I usually serve with a berry compote (raspberries/strawberries/blueberries, heated with sugar and some wilderberry schnapps, then cooled)

Carolyn
Last edited by ruffages on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby Cheryl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:26 am

Hersheys Chocolate Cake and Frosting.
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes ... asp?id=184
Last edited by Cheryl on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheryl

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:56 am

Cheryl wrote:Hersheys Chocolate Cake and Frosting.

And the recipe for that is.....?????
Nancy

Postby vetmom » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:43 am

Nancy,

I second Cheryl's Hersey's Choc cake and Frosting. The recipe is on the back of the Hersey's baking cocoa container. YUMMY!

We use this cake for most of the birthdays in our family, everyone loves it so much.

I actually got the tip from someone on this board, actually, it was about 8 years ago so it was called something else then, from Tanya.....does anyone remember her? She was a criminal investigator? I always think of her when I make that cake!

Ellen
vetmom

Postby jennc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:49 pm

yum, all of these sound great.

Nancy, did you make a choice yet?
Jenn C, Lucky Mother of two!
jennc

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:44 am

I haven't yet. I've also searched Recipeezaar (my most fave spot). I need easy (because I'm lazy).
Nancy

Postby Lisa » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:37 am

You want easy...here you go:

Get your favorite box of cake mix. I prefer Duncan Hines. Get the coordinating flavor of jello pudding. (so if you like chocolate, get chocolate pudding or french vanilla cake, get french vanilla pudding) Make sure that you sift the cake mix and the pudding into another bowl before mixing. Mix according to box directions. Add 1/2 cup more of water. Bake whatever size you want. (cupcakes, rectangle, square, circle)
Will make the moistest cake, ever!

Frosting:
2 sticks of butter
2 tsp of vanilla
16 oz of sifted confectioners sugar (only buy confectioners sugar that says 100% cane sugar, not off name brands as they use beet pulp and cornstarch. not good for frostings)
2 tbsp milk

cream butter add vanilla, slowly add sugar and then use milk to get the consistency you want.

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Lisa
Queen Mother

Postby jennc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:39 pm

Ok, this may not be my super best ever, but it's the best "easy" that I have, and it makes 2 at time.

My Aunt Mot's "Good" Pie

1 large container Cool Whip, thawed
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup butter
7 oz flaked coconut
1 c chopped pecans
1 bottle caramel ice cream topping (smuckers)
2 9 inch pie crusts

Bake pie crusts according to package directions and cool. Toast pecans
and coconut in skillet over medium heat by browning in melted butter. Set aside.

Beat together cool whip, cream cheese, and condensed milk.

Layer in pie crusts: cool whip mixture, coconut mixture, caramel sauce. Repeat. Freeze pies until firm and keep in freezer until about 10 minutes before eating.

YUM!
jennc

Postby ruffages » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:31 pm

OK...I must have a "cool whip deficient" gene because I can't STAND the stuff. I used to eat it as a kid but now it just leaves a nasty film in my mouth. If I can't use whipped cream...I do without.

Carolyn
Last House on the Right
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride!'
ruffages

Postby jennc » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:38 pm

ruffages wrote:OK...I must have a "cool whip deficient" gene because I can't STAND the stuff. I used to eat it as a kid but now it just leaves a nasty film in my mouth. If I can't use whipped cream...I do without.

Carolyn

LOL. I think every dessert recipe in the South uses cool whip or marshmallow fluff! I know what you mean though. I like it ok but it does leave a weird aftertaste.

I promise in my recipe doesn't taste cool-whippy. the condensed milk and cream cheese cut it very well.
jennc

Postby Esmeralda » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:52 pm

ruffages wrote:OK...I must have a "cool whip deficient" gene because I can't STAND the stuff. I used to eat it as a kid but now it just leaves a nasty film in my mouth. If I can't use whipped cream...I do without.

Carolyn

I am right there with you, Carolyn. Some of those recipes don't do it for me at all because of the Cool Whip!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 am

I went with this one...

Bisquick Chocolate Bars
2 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
Combine all ingredients except chips.
Spread in a 13 x 9-inch pan, greased and floured.
Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
Bake 25-30 minutes at 350° (will look bubbly and light in the center).

I did half white sugar and half brown sugar and doubled the chocolate chips (can't ever have enough of them, right?). They were good - close to a blonde brownie. Quick. Since I was baking in bulk, I need quick-and-easy and this was it.
Nancy

Postby Lesley » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 am

doubled the chocolate chips (can't ever have enough of them, right?).
Chuckle. Being a non-chocolate person I always cut the chocolate chip amount in HALF for cookies!! So yes, you can have too much of them. ;)
Lesley

Postby Nancy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:14 am

Lesley wrote:
doubled the chocolate chips (can't ever have enough of them, right?).
Chuckle. Being a non-chocolate person I always cut the chocolate chip amount in HALF for cookies!! So yes, you can have too much of them. ;)

yeah, whatever. You'd probably put FRUIT on it instead. 8)
Nancy

Re: I want your best-ever-dessert recipe

Postby wanda » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Bump..
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Re: I want your best-ever-dessert recipe

Postby Tina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 4/23
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Return to Garden of Eatin'