Any good salmon recipes to share?

Any good salmon recipes to share?

Postby April » Wed May 07, 2008 2:21 pm

I need a new recipe for fixing salmon if anyone has a tried and true one. TIA!

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby wanda » Wed May 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Odd, but I was just looking at seafood recipes in my word file. This one came from KL, but I have no idea when....I do remember someone making it and posting about how great it was.

I've meant to try it, but have not becaue we seem to be off salmon. The times we have prepared it, we tended to just grill it rather plain and serve with a black bean, mango and tomato salsa.

Barbecue Roasted Salmon

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish & Seafood Main Dishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 salmon fillets -- (6-ounce)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cooking spray
Lemon wedges (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Remove fish from bag; discard marinade. Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (sugar through cinnamon) in a bowl. Rub over fish; place in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon, if desired.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby vetmom » Wed May 07, 2008 3:19 pm

One of our favorite ways to fix salmon is to barbeque it on a cedar plank. Have you ever tried that?? It's wonderful.

I basically just put some salt and pepper on the fish, and slice up a few onions and lay on top, then place it on the bbq grill on a thin cedar plank and bbq until it flakes. (You soak the plank first in water for a few hours so it doesn't catch on fire). It gives the best flavor ever!

Ellen
vetmom

Postby Nancy » Thu May 08, 2008 6:00 am

We just spray with some olive oil and sprinkle (liberally) with lemon pepper and bake in the oven. Nothing fancy, but it is good.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby April » Thu May 08, 2008 6:10 am

Ellen, I currently don't have a cedar plank for the grill, but plan on getting one for dh for father's day. I will have to try this recipe first. Any idea how long it takes? I have never grilled salmon, but I imagine it doesn't take too long.

Wanda, that sounds delish! I have fresh pineapple at home and the juice with it, I will have to try this one. Thanks!

We've been making a creamed salmon recipe that is very good, but these are a great change, and less fat, too. :smile:

Nancy, that sure sounds easy. I haven't had lots of experience with fish, esp salmon, so I try not to experiment with it too much and rely on recipes. But if it is good, and so easy, I will have to try that one. Ds will certainly like it as he is a no-frills type of meat eater- LOL

Thanks for the input!! :grin:

~~The Fray

April

Postby Tina » Thu May 08, 2008 7:53 am

April- Typically we grill or broil our salmon. It's so flavorful, that you really don't need to be fancy with it (like you might be with a milder fish). Brett's been bugging me to buy cedar planks and give that a try. This week they are spotlighting cedar planked salmon at Wegmans. The fresh salmon filets at Wegmans are fantastic!
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby wanda » Thu May 08, 2008 7:55 am

April wrote:Wanda, that sounds delish! I have fresh pineapple at home and the juice with it, I will have to try this one. Thanks!

It does, doesn't it. Credit KL though because I'm fairly sure it's a recipe she posted.

Nancy, we pretty much do what you do except we use real olive oil and grill. It goes wonderfully with the mango salsa I mentioned!
wanda

Postby April » Thu May 08, 2008 8:09 am

Tina wrote:April- Typically we grill or broil our salmon. It's so flavorful, that you really don't need to be fancy with it (like you might be with a milder fish). Brett's been bugging me to buy cedar planks and give that a try. This week they are spotlighting cedar planked salmon at Wegmans. The fresh salmon filets at Wegmans are fantastic!

I admit I have been using the frozen salmon instead due to ease, and cost. Weggies does have the best fresh fish, though.

Wanda, I'll let both you know how it comes out as I will make it this weekend.

~~The Fray

April

Postby Nancy » Thu May 08, 2008 9:55 am

Wanda - we do olive oil too. I have it in one of those Pampered Chef spray bottles... How do you cook it on the grill and keep it from sticking and falling apart?

And guess what DH bought at the store for supper tonight??? Yes - salmon.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)
Nancy

Postby wanda » Thu May 08, 2008 10:15 am

Nancy wrote:How do you cook it on the grill and keep it from sticking and falling apart?

There are a few ways to do it. You can heat the grill, turn it *off* and spray with olive oil pam, or baste the grates using the real stuff - my brother bastes with the real stuff and cooks directly on the grate. Fred tends to like grilling atop tin foil that has been oiled. Personally, I prefer my brother's way. It won't fall apart unless you either overcook or try to turn before it's ready.
wanda

Postby April » Thu May 08, 2008 10:36 am

My sister just emailed me this recipe. She has used it several times and it is a big hit. I will try this too. We make salmon quite often:

Maple Salmon
Submitted by: STARFLOWER
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 1111 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 4 servings

"Salmon is baked with a delicate maple glaze."
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black
pepper
1 pound salmon

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.
2. Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
4. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/PrintFull.aspx?RecipeID=51283&servings=4

~~The Fray

April

Postby vetmom » Thu May 08, 2008 3:07 pm

April,

It will depend on how thick your fish is, and how hot your grill. Just check to see if the fish flakes easily, and it's done. Usually for us, around 30 minutes. It will take longer than directly on the grill, since it's on the plank.

I'm getting hungry!!

Ellen
vetmom

Postby wanda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:48 pm

April wrote:Wanda, I'll let both you know how it comes out as I will make it this weekend.

Here I am looking for something to do with the salmon I'm cooking tonight....how did these recipes turn out?

I think I'm going to try a mustard-crumb crust recipe I found on Epicurious. I'll post it if it turn out nice.
wanda

Postby April » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Wanda, I wasn't fond of the maple salmon, though some people did like it.

I do have a (fattening, LOL) recipe for creamed salmon that I LOVE that I can share, but I will have to post the recipe tomorrow, as it is at work.

~~The Fray

April

Postby wanda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 pm

April wrote:I do have a (fattening, LOL) recipe for creamed salmon that I LOVE that I can share, but I will have to post the recipe tomorrow, as it is at work.

Does it use canned salmon?

I guess you didn't try recipe from KL that I posted? The mustard recipe is looking and smelling good. We'll see.
wanda

Postby wanda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Here's the recipe for the salmon I made tonight. Keep in mind that Fred generally does not like salmon, and reviewers noted that people who don't like it usually do like this recipe. He loved it with the mustard sauce. I liked it also and will use the recipe again.

Changes I made: I used panko bread crumbs and baked a couple minutes longer. Next time, I'll probably double the sauce so I will have more to serve with the fish. Some reviewers noted decreasing the sugar and/or leaving out the dry mustard. I thought it was perfect as written. We had jasmine rice and a mango, black bean salsa with it. Yummy and not complicated at all.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... Crust-2536

Baked Salmon with Mustard-Crumb Crust
Bon Appétit | October 1993

by Dorothy Sweet: Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

Yield: Serves 4

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/3 cup vegetable oil

4 6- to 7-ounce salmon fillets
Dried thyme
1 cup fresh French breadcrumbs

Place vinegar, sugar and both mustards in blender. With machine running, slowly pour in oil and blend until medium-thick sauce forms. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Arrange salmon in prepared dish, skin side down. Season with dried thyme, salt and pepper. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard sauce over each fillet, covering completely. Press breadcrumbs onto fish. Bake salmon until cooked through and crumb topping is crisp and golden brown, about 18 minutes.

Using large spatula as aid, transfer salmon fillets to platter. Serve, passing remaining mustard sauce separately.
wanda

Postby April » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 pm

oh my- I had forgotten about that one! Yes, I did try it for grilling and it really was GREAT! I served it with some couscous salad and grilled asparagus. Sorry, it had been a while and I neglected to post a follow up on it.

No, there is no canned salmon used. It is something like heavy cream parmesan and butter. Throw in peas at the end. It really is delicious! The exact recipe is still at work so remind me if I don't post it.

~~The Fray

April

Re: Any good salmon recipes to share?

Postby wanda » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:37 pm

bump.
wanda

Re: Any good salmon recipes to share?

Postby Tina » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Added to PnM Cookbook 2/17/14
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Return to Garden of Eatin'