Seats in your car - Leather or Cloth?

Tell me then, do you:

Have leather and love it!
Have leather and it's okay.
Have leather and don't really like it all that much.
No votes
Have cloth and don't want leather.
Have cloth but would rather have leather.
It doesn't matter to me at all or other.
Total votes : 33

Seats in your car - Leather or Cloth?

Postby Lora » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:26 pm

We're probably going to get a new van sometime in 2006 so I have started looking at our top two choices the Sienna and the Odessy. I think we'll most likely go with the Odessy since Toyota has pushed back the release of their Hybrid minivan. (Darn!)

I had called Honda to ask when they will come out with a hybrid Odessy but they don't have anything scheduled yet. She did tell me that the Touring and oh shoot I wrote it down, well another top model with LEATHER have some special engine where when it's iddling it will use only 3 cylinders instead of all 6 which makes it get about 9 miles more per gallon or something.

I have never had leather seats before. I actually like my cloth seats believe it or not. DH has leather and my parents' truck has leather so I am familiar with it. I think in the winter it's cold even with the seat heater on because that only heats the middle part. Plus, right now the kids sit on their boosters but someday they will sit on the seat and I don't think there are seat heaters in any but the first row.

So, tell me, would I end up liking or loving leather if I got it? If it was cheaper than cloth I would do it but it's not cheaper but MORE expensive. I do like the idea of having a more money saving engine though and it doesn't sound like we're going to be able to get a hybrid van unless we wait longer. Also I'd like it better if we didn't get the first year it was out because they could get the kinks worked out before we got a hybrid that way.
Lora Mom to
Brandon 20 and Brittany 16

Postby Tina » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:02 pm

I've never personally had leather. Cleanliness is not an issue with the cloth for us, because we don't eat or drink in the car. My van is a 2000, and the seats still look brand new.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR

Postby hollymg » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:14 pm

I let all the other criteria fall with my last car except holding out for leather.

And I was reminded this weekend why I like it (besides being more comfortable slipping in and out of the car) when I took the car seats out and scrubbed off a few weeks worth of Veronica puke. :oops: :lol:

Boy it sure smells better in there!

Postby Esmeralda » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:22 pm

I had no problem with my cloth seats before. In fact, I liked them better than leather because my butt didn't freeze in the winter or burn in the summer. All that changed, however, after I sat on heated leather seats. Oh baby, my next vehicle is going to have heated, leather seats.

Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!

Postby carseatmom » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:25 pm

We now have leather in both our vehicles and I will NEVER EVER go back to cloth!! EVER!! I hated cloth LOL. It gets grossly dirty (even not eating in the car). We've had cloth and it just doesn't do justice to leather LOL. In our old cloth seated vehicle, Troy would always without fail get shocked when he got out ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ). He hated that!

Slightly OT: We will likely be "upgrading" to the new 05 Odyssey soon. We will definitely go with the touring with the upgraded engine (the EX-L is the other model that has the engine). It will save on mpg, and is really handy when jonting around town.

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.

Postby Cathy » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:41 pm

My car has cloth and the minivan has (heated) leather seats. All of dh's cars have ad leather. I actually like leather better now and will be getting leather seats in my next car.

It's much easier to clean the seats. Plus we have a dog and her fur gets caught in the cloth seats and you can't get it out again.
Mom to Brendan and Lauryn

Postby wanda » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:59 pm

I've always had cloth until I bought the Honda. (Fred has owned several vehicles with leather though.) I like my leather seats, but I actually found cloth seats easier to keep clean - really. My seats are a creamy tan. I'm sure a darker color would have been better at hiding stuff like dye transfer from jeans, but I hated the black seats because they get so hot in Florida.

I'm really not sure I consider leather a priority for me in a car. I never had any problem keeping cloth seats looking new and I generally keep a car 6 years. To me leather just looks pretty, but I do admit loving heated seats!
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon

Postby Esther » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:20 pm

Our current van has leather seats, w/ heated seats in front. It has served its purpose well, but the next vehicle, I would rather go with cloth. First of all my children are pretty much past the getting dirty stage, secondly leather is too darn cold in cold climates! BRRRR. We bought the van in houston, so was never an issue til we moved north. Sure, they look nice, they are durable, but so is cloth, IMO, and much cheaper.

If you're not dead seat on having leather, you're probably better off w/ cloth.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)

Postby Meagan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:57 pm

I tend to like cloth better for the same reason's of them not being hot or cold. I just got a new van around Christmas time and they have heated leather seats and for right now I don't mind them. We'll see though in the summer when I'm in shorts and the seats are hot and I'm sticking to them :?
When they were small...

Postby Lizzie » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:09 pm

LUV my leather in my Taurus! I do have seat covers on the front bucket seats, though. :)

Our van had cloth and was nastaaaay when the kids were llittle---puking, spills... :shock: :x :cry: .

Postby Lisa » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:59 pm

We have a combo. Leather and cloth. Its nice. I'm still able to keep the seats really clean since the carseat actually covers the cloth and the dirt ends up on the leather. Plus in the summer, your butt doesn't completely fry on them. Just the outer edges! LOL!

Lisa mom to Katie (17) Jacob (15) Grace (13) Ben (11) Gabriel (10) and Matthew (7)
Be the difference you want to see in the world.
Queen Mother

Postby Teena » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:48 am

I have cloth, I just don't like leather because i stick to it when i wear shorts. BUT I LOVE the way leather smells...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:36 am

I have leather and LOVE it.
Mom to Jacob (20) Ben (18) and Ellie (15)

Postby Alison » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:44 am

I've had both, and it really doesn't matter to me.

Alison ~ mom to Meagan (19) and Ryan (15)

Postby Vicky » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 am

The only thing allowed in my car is water and thats only on long trips and I control the bottles. SO that said...

I had my Mercedes with cloth seats for 5 years and I kept that baby clean. However, kids are kids and they climb in and out of the car and you can clean those seats all you want, but that don't come clean.

Now, I have heated (front seats only) leather and I will never get cloth again. SO easy to maintain. Dirty shoes? No problem. A quick swipe with a rag and its done.

I didn't use the heater so much this winter because it reall heats and does get uncomfortable. Last summer, I can't say we had a problem with hot seats, but we do have tinited windows and the kids windows have factory installed shades that really cover the window well.

Mamma to Sabrina 6, Sofia 3, Riccardo 1

Postby ann » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:01 am

Leather, especially black leather is AWFUL in Minnesota. It's cold in the winter and hot as heck in the summer. Animal rights issues aside, I'd never choose to have leather seats in a car again.
mama of Avery (11), Ben (10), Noelle (9), Lindsey (7)

*the pic portion of my signature is under construction*

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:18 am

I have heated leather seats & love them. I would never go back to cloth.

Postby Julie » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:25 am

I have leather and dh has cloth. I really prefer leather.
Julie mom to Jamie, Walter and Samuel, mimi to Kale!

Postby Ashley Anne » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:28 am

I have leather and I LOVE it! I never stick to it?? So easy to keep clean (my kids are pigs!)

I finally got my dream of heated seats. Ahhhh.... bliss!!

Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby tinamiz95 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:03 am

Okay here is the rub - I would love to have heated leather seats - but being who I am, I do not buy leather products or use animal products for the most part. So, it is cloth for us

Architect for Success
Building the best you through coaching

Return to Alice's Restaurant