Driving

Driving

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:52 am

Can't post on facebook where Duncan might see it...OMG I am such a nervous wreck! Duncan got his permit in February, but hasn't wanted to drive. He wanted to wait until summer because it was simply too overwhelming. He drove around a school parking lot 2-3 times with me - never getting over 10 mph. He had his first driving lesson last Saturday and the instructor said he did well. Now he's driven a few times with me and I'm a mess! I know he will get over it, but I can't wait until I can relax a little. Colin was so much easier to work with.

Terry will NOT help teach Duncan to drive, nor do I want him to. It would be a major disaster. That is why I hired an instructor. I am so dreading highway driving!

It makes you realize how much of driving you do - adjusting to different cars and such - becomes so instinctual. The brakes are grabby and the steering is stiff on the stratus. I know to compensate for that. The van is much easier to drive, but it has mushy brakes and it's so big. How do you translate that to yourkid without simply letting him drive. And I'm a mess.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Re: Driving

Postby Esther » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:25 am

I'm no good at teaching teens to drive. I am a big nervous ball of anxiety. My older two did not like it either when they drove with me, saying I overreact or panic. LOL. We had them both do the defensive driving hours with driving schools in PA. The one we used they even had their same instructor pass them off on the driving test on the last lesson, avoiding having them go to the DMV for the driving test with a cop. DH had to take them out driving for additional practice.

Danny is 16 now and he could have his license but we haven't even gone for his permit yet. He's in no rush to drive which is just fine because the drivers in Houston are maniacs. Really, they are. I saw something recently on the internet that said the #1 worst rude drivers are now in Houston. I totally believe it!

edited to add the link about Houston having the worst rude drivers:

http://www.chron.com/cars/article/Road- ... 471258.php

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Esmeralda » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Linda, I feel your pain. I rode with both of mine for almost of their 50 hours. Joseph grasped the whole driving thing better than Emma. Sometimes she still makes me so nervous. She could have had her license for 2 months now but has shown no interest in testing. Fine with me.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Maelyn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Oh yea... I was actually calmer when Cam first started. I could deal with the parking lot thing. It wasn't until he started on actual roads that I started getting super stressed being the car with him.

He had no choice but to switch back and forth between our van and my C-RV for much of his learning time.

Although now that he's been driving without us in the car for a few months I'm actually comfortable letting him drive me around. My personal chauffer 8)
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby cathie » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Ok, how the heck did it happen that all of these kids are driving?! I remember posts on potty training them ;)
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Big Bean Burrito » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Tanner got his license the week before school started his Sophmore year. He also started a new school 30 minutes away from our home. He also had cross country every day which involved practices AWAY from the school. So we had a new driver driving in town he didn't live in trying to get to practices on time. To this day I don't like to drive with him. Not that I don't trust him but it just scares the crap out of me. He likes to say things when I'm driving like "oh mom, just shoot the gap" and then I get all made and lecture him about his driving lol

Meg won't get her permit until spring. I know I need to get her out driving but now that we actually live in a bigger city I'm REALLY nervous. She's too cautious. Like I'm afraid she won't be able to make a decision in time. Should I go, not go. She will not break the speed limit because you must follow all rules. Good lord, I'm not sure where she got that from lol I know Tanner has let her drive his truck and I know my mom has let her drive her car. I'm so freaked out I won't even let her back out of the driveway. She may be walking the rest of her life lol
Big Bean Burrito

Return to Alice's Restaurant