Airline ticket question: when to book

Airline ticket question: when to book

Postby April » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:18 pm

A few weeks back we had decided on A flight for our trip to LA In MID-august. My oldest son had to put a request in to his job and then found out a different week was better. By that time, flights had gone up 75-100per ticket! Doing some research I found that Tuesdays are usually the cheapest, so we waited. I've checked almost daily, and they have gone up over the weekends and down a bit, but never close to what they were a few weeks ago.

Now that we are looking at booking at 100 more per ticket it makes out total 400 more for all 4 of us. Do we wait to see if the fare drops? I have heard that 60 days ahead of time is cheapest. Yet, I don't want to wait too long.What would you do?

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Re: Airline ticket question: when to book

Postby cathie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:37 am

Did you try Kayak? They have a fare predictor which is usually pretty good. It says whether they foresee prices going up or down based on past ticket prices.

I find with JetBlue and Southwest, the earlier the better. With other airlines, there seems to be a sweet spot not too far ahead but not to close either, which is usually in the 2-3 month range. If one airline starts a sale, all the prices go down and that's usually a month or two before the departure date (if ticket sales aren't what they want). But for summer which is high season they may just go up and up...

One other tip is to log on using a different Internet server and not a Mac. The sites track your interest so if you keep trying a certain destination over several days, sometimes they'll jack the price up because they know you're about to buy. And the prices posted for Mac users are higher.

Good luck! Sounds like a great trip!
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby cathie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:02 am

Did you find something?
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby April » Thu May 01, 2014 6:21 am

Cathie, I didn't get different results with a clear cache. I even used the library computer with the same results. It does make a difference that I have to stay with United.

Anyhow, Tuesday I got a higher fare than Monday or Thursday...which goes against the theory of best time to book being Tues afternoon. This morning, though when I checked, for the first time in almost a month flights went back down below 500! Only for a certain date, but many of them were 50 to 70 lower than even less than a week ago. I don't get it??! But we took the opportunity to book and saved over 500 doing so. So happy about that! I am glad we waited a bit, but I did not want to wait any longer!

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby mobetsy » Fri May 02, 2014 2:56 pm

Just read a NY Times article on this topic; apparently Tuesday is no longer the best day to book! As you found, Thursdays are often better.
mobetsy

Return to Alice's Restaurant