Losing weight as you are older.

Losing weight as you are older.

Postby holliejjj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:30 am

I have always been thin. I only had to lose baby weight after my third child. Then I gained so much weight with HELLP Syndrome I have had hard time losing the baby weight from Jasmine. I did get down to 135 lbs I think as the lowest. Right now I'm scared to get on the scales, but my seems to keep wanting to weigh 150. I'm only 5'3 so not a real good weight for me, especially since I have high blood pressure. My body feels so "off". It wants to gravitate at that higher weight now. I eat pretty darn good. I have given up lots of stuff through the years. I don't like fast food. I drank Coke zero, but now I'm rarely drinking pop... just water and zero calorie teas. Breakfast I usually eat a mixture I make of ground turkey, veggies and quinoa. Lunch sometimes I forget to eat, sometimes it's leftovers. Sometimes 35 calorie bread with natural pb or almond butter. Dinners are a lot of homemade thai food or grilled lean meats and salads. A lot of sauteed spinach, or roasted broccoli as sides. I don't think there is a lot I can change about food except maybe portions?

I'm driving kids to and from school... 6 kids at 4 different buildings, everyday plus go to school (2 classes on campus, 2 online). I don't have much time for exercise but I guess I'm going to have to make time.

The point of all this, is it sucks getting older. All the things that I use to do to keep my weight down don't work anymore. I have to find new things and that new groove. I just don't want another summer of not fitting in my old clothes. My body seems to always need a little more drastic things to lose weight like bodybuilding, lifting weights etc. I'm not the type of person that can just walk everyday and keep weight down.

What are some things you do now, or have had luck with keeping weight down as we get older and get that sluggish metabolism? Gosh, I use to eat crap food and never step foot in a gym and would weigh 112 lbs (even after 2 babies!). So frustrating!
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Re: Losing weight as you are older.

Postby cathie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:38 am

I hear ya! I think metabolism slows down as we age and we're also not as naturally active so have to get motivated to exercise. Like I notice I don't play as actively with my youngest as when I was in my twenties/early thirties with my oldest...

I got a fitbit tracker for Christmas and find it really useful. It gives extra motivation to park a little further, go out for a walk, take the stairs etc. You can visually see if you are having an inactive day. It doesn't have to be hard exercise, just movement (steps). My dd has one too and she tracks her food. So then it gives you an ice of how much you need to move to burn off what you eat.

I was like you, never gained any weight or made an effort to keep it off until a few years ago.

Good luck!
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Tammy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:01 am

I can relate, Holly.

For me, cardio plays a huge role, but probably not the one you might think. Cardio by itself doesn't affect my weight much, but it makes a huge difference in motivating me to do the other things that do help me maintain my weight. When I do cardio regularly, I feel better both physically and otherwise. (Okay, I feel better afterwards, not so much during.) But this healthy feeling, in turn, makes me want to do other things that do make a difference in my weight and body shape -- such as strength training, yoga, and outdoor activities. I think cardio even affects my appetite and cravings. Am I hungry after a cardio workout? Sure. But do I want to eat sweets or fried foods? I really don't.

I have read that cardio plays a much smaller role in weight loss and maintenance than many people assume, that it's really about what you eat and other types of exercise. However, I have also read that you get far more out of a cardio workout if you do weight training beforehand. (You burn more calories if you have more muscle.) For me this means that I have to get myself into a cycle where yesterday's cardio motivates me to lift (small) weights today, etc. The hardest part is getting back on track if I get off my schedule. Once I'm in the routine, the momentum of the whole thing keeps me going.

And yes, the most common reason I get off my schedule is a change in someone else's schedule. (Snow days have been killing me this winter!)
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby holliejjj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:22 pm

thanks ladies!

I feel like I'm in this trial and error and have to figure out what it takes to lose weight and maintain now at 38 years old, kwim? It's different than at 28. I have to figure out what I need, and it sucks :)
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Postby cathie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:45 pm

holliejjj wrote:I have to figure out what I need, and it sucks :)

Look at it another way, it's great that you're aware of it and wanting to do something about it! :)
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby wanda » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Having been thin and firm, with next to no effort, I can certainly commiserate. You're younger than I am, and it seems to be menopause and the lack of hormones that threw me for loop. It seems like nothing I do really helps. I will follow your thread with great interest :?
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Esther » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:50 am

just a thought, have you had your thyroid checked? if it is off even a little (high or low) it can affect your weight. I've been hypothyroid for years and over the summer/fall, my thyroid levels really fluctuated, and I became hyperthyroid due to my body's need for less thyroid medication, and I actually gained weight. My endocrinologist said that's not uncommon if you are slightly hyperthyroid (although it's much more common to gain weight when you are hypothyroid). She added in another medication as well as the synthroid (at a lower level) ... a medication called cytomel which is another thyroid hormone replacement, and I'm back to my usual weight. And also, I haven't had a period since last May, so technically I'm menopausal now too. And not missing having a period whatsoever! It hasn't been bad at all, for me at least.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Esmeralda » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27 am

I can relate. I had to change my lifestyle when I was approaching the big 4-0. Severely limited the crap I are and started exercising regularly at home (no gym). Then I picked up running. It is hard to fit in a run, but some mornings I am out there at 5:45 because I need to do it before the kids wake up. And that is what has worked for me. But can I lose 5 pounds that are clinging to me? Not a chance.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby carseatmom » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm there with ya Hollie! I've been really struggling the last few years as my eating habits (like yours they are not terrible at all) stayed the same, and my weight was steadily climbing. I finally reached over 170 and was so close to what I weighed when I had Baylee almost 17 years ago (lost all that weight!) it was scary. I finally made myself an appointment with my NP. After checking my thyroid etc... she started me on Metformin. Both my parents are insulin resistant and she thinks I was headed there too. I also started working out very regularly until I damn near broke my ankle rolling it 8 min into my T25 workout 3 weeks ago. I haven't been able to workout since as it is still bothering me. However, even with that, I'm down almost 10lbs! So I think we are toying with the right things. I'm still trying to walk each day and I bought a FitBit last fall which I use to keep track of my steps each day. So I'm on the road to getting to a better weight. Will I ever be my 115 again? Probably not! But I'll be happy back down to 125-130.

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am

Waving my hand wildly here! I cannot believe how much I weigh now. I've been in a downward spiral of emotional issues dealing with my husband and son. I think ALL of us suffer from depression to some degree. Now that it's a bit sunnier, I'm feeling better. I've used the iPhone Colin gave me (which, come to think of it, was actually mine anyways, lol!) to use WeightWatchers etools to actually track everything I have eaten for the past 7.5 days. I KNOW this works, but I just couldn't get beyond a few days before I simply didn't give a crap or I decided I needed some food/sweet to comfort me.

You do need to remember to eat regular meals. What I've learned from WW is that if you skip meals, your body is tricked into thinking you might not be getting your next meal. Your body thinks it's going into starvation mode and gets very efficient with it's fuel. I would also suggest journaling for a few weeks. Be honest and don't skip anything (BLTs...bites, licks, tastes). That will give you a good picture of what changes, if any, you should make. Be sure to include portion sizes. We do tend to overestimate what we eat. If you have to weigh what you are eating.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Return to Alice's Restaurant