SAHM, WOHM, WAHM?

SAHM, WOHM, WAHM?

Postby Linda » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:06 am

Wondering if I'm the only SAHM left or if there are still a few more here on the board. Let's update - are you at home? are you working fulltime/parttime? out of the house or from home? What are doing work-wise? Are you a full-time volunteer?

I'm a SAHM - Simon is grown and the other two are both in school but we still see advantages to me being home - sick days, vacations, afterschool etc... Perhaps if I were more likely to get a good job, it would be different but for minimum wage or thereabouts, it's not worth it for us to have me working.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Re: SAHM, WOHM, WAHM?

Postby Tina » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:36 am

I work full time out of the house, although I have the flexibility of working from home when I want/need to. I also get a lot of vacation time, which I can take in days/weeks or hours if I want. Comes in handy when I want to leave early to catch a game, early pick up from school, kids doctor appointments, etc. I've always been blessed with great bosses (with the exception of one about 8 years ago) who are very understanding. The company I work for has over 7,000 employees worldwide. My main job is managing the corporate environmental, health and safety reporting. I also manage our internal website and our worldwide dosimetry (radiation badge) program. I really do have a great job with great benefits, I'm just getting burned out. :(
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby erin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 pm

I work from home, but I still count it as a sahm since I'm actually with Shane all day. He is in pre k now though so it's only 2 days a week I'm with him (plus weekends) but ill take it. I do go to school full time as well but it's at night and he's with dad then.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Cheryl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:43 pm

I am currently FT outside the home. I bumped by hours from 32 to 40 last month to cover some maternity leaves. I still get to leave at 1 once a week and 3 or 4 another. It's been hard. Most of my friends are sahm so not much support. I love the patients and families but it's been hard. 3 kids in 3 school is rough!
Cheryl

Postby cathie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm supposed to be WAHM but I don't have a contract right now so I'm a SAHM. I'm finding it lonely, most of my friends have moved on to other things now that the kids are older. I think my New Year's resolution will be to look for a new out-of-the house job since I'm very stir-crazy. But it would be a tough transition to not be around any more so I'm dragging my feet. I've had it pretty good the last 10 years! (WAHM about 20-30 hrs/week)
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Esther » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 pm

For the first time in 20 years, I am working full time. It's been a bit of an adjustment, but do-able and I really enjoy my new nursing job & hospital. I work three 12 hours shifts per week, every other weekend. And it's a set rotating schedule. I just worked back to back shifts Wed &Thurs and now I am off until Monday. So I enjoy the extra time off. But these 12's (which are really 13 hours, since I clock in by 6:40 a.m. and clock out by 7:30 p.m.) - all I really can do is go to work, come home, shower, eat something and go to bed.

Thank goodness just one kid at home. Hats off to those RNs with younger kids. My previous hospital jobs were either part time or casual and I typically worked 20-28 hours. 36 hours is tolerable. It's better than working 4 or 5 days in a row, that's for sure. I love my weekdays off!!!

I consider myself very blessed to have stayed home for 11 years raising the boys, before going back to nursing school. It's hard to believe when I started nursing school, my youngest was in First grade, now? He's in 10th!!! And two in college. :eek:

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Esmeralda » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:43 pm

I work part time but still consider myself a SAHM! I have a very flexible job, so I could leave an hour early this week when it was early dismissal. Now if I could only get snow days! Or even a snow delay!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby JulieB » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:25 pm

I am still SAHM and plan to be until all of the boys are much older. Carter started kindergarten this year. Even though he goes to school full day now, I still have PLENTY to keep me busy running a household with 4 kiddos!
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby Tammy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:31 am

I had planned to be a SAHM until Alec was grown, but all the changed when he was about two years old and I began freelancing. The evolution of the work ended up being the perfect fit for his childhood. I began writing and submitting articles at my leisure when he napped or was at preschool. I then started getting assignments and was offered a column in one of the magazines -- a bit larger time commitment as he moved into kindergarten. By the time he entered elementary school, I was offered my first book assignment, and my work load has continued to grow with him since then. Working for myself allows me the flexibility to be there for him when he needs or wants me. It works for us.

It's funny, though. Even though my hours fluctuate between part time and putting in overtime, I still consider myself a SAHM at heart. I have been lucky enough to be home (and other places) with my son, but also do something else that I enjoy deeply.

I honestly don't know how moms who have full-time jobs outside the home do it! I am seriously in awe of them. If my laundry room wasn't just downstairs from my office, I don't think we'd ever have clean clothes!

The down side of working at home, though (at least for me), is that I can't leave something undone. I cannot work if I know my bed isn't made or there are dishes in the sink.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby April » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm a WAHM but also consider myself a SAHM. Even now that the kids are older, being home all the time is wonderful. I love being home when my dd gets home from school and tells me about her day over a snack.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby mamaotter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:56 am

I was a full-time plus WOHM until Ben was in 2nd grade and Caden began kindergarten. I worked lots and lots of hours and had to depend on full time live-in child care to make things manageable. Once we moved in 2007 I kept the same job but started working out of my home. I would travel (about 4 hours away) and work on-site for about 1 week per month on average, the rest of the time I did all of my hours from home. This worked out really well for a number of years. About 2 years ago I got tired of the commute and the hours (depending on the time of year I'd sometimes work more than 80 hours a week) and I quite my job and got a local job at an 80% schedule (which translated to 32 hours per week during the regular part of the year and 48 hours a week during tax season (about 12 weeks). Unfortunately, the damage had been done to my back from all of the hours in the car and in the office chair and I wound up with a severely herniated disc and emergency surgery just months after taking my new job. A year later I had a second back surgery. Just a few months ago I decided that 48 hours a week during tax season was too much, and that I could also use some additional time during the week normally, so I dropped down to 70% time. Now I work 28 hours a week during the regular part of the year and 42 hours per week during tax season.

I love my new schedule. It is perfect because I have one full day off during the week to run errands or just relax a little, and I have an extra four hours that I can flex around and either take a half-day off or an hour here and there when I need it. It works out perfect during times when the kids have early sports practices or games. I would prefer to work 28 hours year-round, but I am a tax accountant and it's just not practical. I'll take my 42 hours (spread over 6 days) and be grateful!

Sometimes I miss my WAH gig. The days I miss it in particular are when the weather is bad, or we need something delivered or something worked on in the house, or when there is something going on with the kids mid-day. But for the most part, I much prefer working part time out of the home than full time at home. I was so lonely for the 4 years I worked from home. It did not help that I started working from home when we moved to a new area and we didn't know anyone, but I really felt like I became a hermit. I much prefer to get out of the house, go to work, and then leave the work behind when I go home for the day. I just often miss the convenience that I had when I didn't have to commute to work. Of course, being 4 hours away for a week out of every month wasn't particularly convenient either! LOL

I have to say that the WAH opportunity came at a perfect time in our lives. At that point I was not financially ready to be able to drop down to a part time schedule and we were awfully tired of having someone live with us to help with the kids. Working at home for that period of time allowed us to both save in child care costs and build up some savings so that I could eventually drop down to part time. Yet I was still around for the kids and I was able to participate more fully in their activities. It was a really good deal at the perfect time.
Janet, Mom to Ben & Caden
mamaotter

Postby wanda » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 am

Still staying at home, and can't imagine giving up my freedom. I do plan to get back into volunteering though. Maybe at an Alzheimer's respite place or something similar.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 am

I consider myself a SAHM mom. I work as a receptionist for 2 classes a week at WeightWatchers. The pay is crap - I did it to help keep me focused on my weight loss. Unfortunately, that has been a BIG fail. Between back & knee problems and perimenopause, my weight is a mess. I need to go back full time, but I've been out of the engineering world for 11 years, not to mention my area of expertise is irrelevant where we are located right now. In addition, with DH desperately wanting to find a new job, I don't want the stress of being the sole breadwinner again. If we would move back west I could find a job. I'm just not certain what is out there for me right now.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Andrea040805 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Still a SAHM here too! I really have no desire to find employment of any type right now, but that is probably because I am still homeschooling. I really don't need any distractions. LOL!
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Return to Alice's Restaurant