All-time favorite movie?

All-time favorite movie?

Postby Tammy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 am

I realized the other day that I have never seen The Godfather or either of its sequels. I've heard the third one is worth missing, but also that the first two are incredible. I have decided to make a point of watching it along with a few other films I have never seen. This got me to thinking about what other great movies I might have missed.

What is your favorite movie of all time? Feel free to name more than one.

Anything other films that have raved about but you didn't care for at all?
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Re: All-time favorite movie?

Postby Esther » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 am

Hard to say but I honestly think The Godfather is probably the best movie of all time. Part I and II. Never seen the 3rd either b/c I heard it wasn't very good.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Esmeralda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Eric and I watched The Godfather last summer and we both enjoyed it.

My favorite all time movie is A Fish Called Wanda, followed by Grease!

No one can ever believe that I haven't seen Saturday Night Fever.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Andrea040805 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:26 am

Confession: I have never seen a Star Wars movie all the way through. Just had to throw that out there. I haven't seen any Godfather movies either. Or Indiana Jones. Everyone raves about these (and a million other action flicks) but they just don't interest me at all. Like, AT ALL. Superman, Batman, etc...I just don't get it.

I like quirky movies but have different fave movies for different moods.

If I want to be cheered up, I watch "Clueless".

If I'm home alone without anyone to criticize me, I obsessively watch "Unzipped", the documentary about Isaac Mizrahi. I'm seriously obsessed. I've seen it at least 100 times since High School.

Fave movie to watch with dh: "Say Anything"

My runner up choice is probably "When Harry Met Sally"

All time favorite? "Reality Bites". Hands down my favorite movie.
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby Tammy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 am

Andrea040805 wrote:Everyone raves about these (and a million other action flicks) but they just don't interest me at all. Like, AT ALL. Superman, Batman, etc...I just don't get it.

I can somewhat relate to this, Andrea. I like some action movies, but they have to have an equally good storyline to compliment the action level, or I get bored.

The one that I never got was Pulp Fiction. I know so many people who absolutely loved it. I couldn't even finish it.

I also understand the mood thing. I have movies that I can watch over and over, depending on my mood. One of my favorites is Bridges of Madison County. I think it has something to do with Clint Eastwood. Much better than his action flicks IMO.

Tisha, I love Kevin Kline, so I will have to check out A Fish Called Wanda. I remember it vaguely from when it came out, but never saw it. I loved him in French Kiss. I used to love most movies with Meg Ryan -- to this day I will stop and watch You've Got Mail if I find it while flipping through channels.

Another one of my favorites is Sense and Sensibility. I bet Esther knows why I like that one -- she shares my fondness for Alan Rickman. I've always thought that he could have played John Malkovich's part in Dangerous Liasons, another one of my favorites.

I have pretty eclectic taste and also like some obscure stuff. The Last Supper comes to mind. That was an odd but entertaining one for sure. Catfish wasn't something I'd watch again, but it was kind of like passing a train wreck the first time. My favorite sleeper is Return to Me.

Please keep the suggestions coming!
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby cathie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:30 am

Don't know that I have an all-time favorite movie. I rarely watch movies more than once, except for kid ones. My faves there would be Despicable Me, Mary Poppins, Sound of Music, Wizard of Oz, Back to the Future.

I'd say my favorite adult ones are those that stay with me. The Mission probably tops that list. Other movies that I found memorable: The Piano, Breaking the Waves, The King's Speech, Lincoln, Empire of the Sun, The Gods must be Crazy, Tsotsi, Amadeus, Rabbit Proof Fence. And I'm probably the only one with this on my list and I didn't really like this movie much but I'm still creeped out by Cape Fear :)

And of course, Monty Python would be right up there (Holy Grail, Meaning of Life, Life of Brian). They just never get old. I was just batting my head at my DH yesterday -- does anyone get that reference?! It's from the French insulting the English at the ramparts ("your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries") Classic!
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby funnygirl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:07 am

All time favorite movies - too many! Sleepless in Seattle, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sixteen candles. There are tons that I will stop and watch - Serendipity and Time Travelers Wife are current favorites.
Sue S.
Mom to Neya and Anthony

funnygirl

Return to Alice's Restaurant