More College Questions (honor societies)

More College Questions (honor societies)

Postby holliejjj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:19 am

I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa, but when I entered into the group, it was back with my maiden name, and my address, contact information has all changed. I emailed the organization today to see what I can do about that.

But I also received an email for Golden Key International (for top 15% of class). Has anyone been part of this, or their child? These honor societies all cost money to join, and I don't know whether they are worth joining.
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Re: More College Questions (honor societies)

Postby holliejjj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:20 am

Oh and also joining the Honors program at your college. Do you think it helps in anyway with your job search? One of my classmates thought it wasn't really worth it. I would like opinions before I spend the time on the essay portion lol.
holliejjj

Postby April » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Hollie, this is a great honor! I do know that Jory was invited to join, but we declined. We felt his GPA and other actual clubs and memberships would be more than enough to put on a resume. You can also put down that you were chosen for membership of the Golden Key Honor Society' which would indicate you were In the top 15 percent of your class without paying the fee to join. I don't think it's a scam per se but may not have much of an advantage to you in the long run: something you have to decide.
Last edited by April on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby mobetsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:00 pm

I happened to be on the Seton Hall website today and noticed that they offer additional scholarships to transfer students who qualified for Phi Theta Kappa. So that one at least must have some practical value!
mobetsy

Postby holliejjj » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:24 pm

yeah it seems the phi theta kappa does have more benefits. I have never heard of golden key, and when I checked it out there was a few rumblings of not enough money given out in scholarships.

thanks guys
holliejjj

Postby Tina » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 am

I would just beware. Brett was invited to join as well. I contacted his counselor about it and she said there was no way any organization would know where Brett ranked in his class or his GPA because they don't give that information out unless specifically requested in writing by the student. At the time they wanted like $60 or $80 to become a member. We declined.

OOPS.....edited to say I think I confused this organization with another one. The one that was trying to get Brett to join was when he was a senior in HS, not in college. Sorry.......
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Golden Key has been around for a while, but they are definitely not as impressive am organization as some of the others. I think I viewed it as a group that just asked for your money.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Esmeralda » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 pm

I would say no to Golden Key. IMO, everyone was offered admission and it did nothing for you.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Return to Alice's Restaurant