Do you love your vacuum?

Do you love your vacuum?

Postby Tammy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:10 am

We bought a Simplicity canister vacuum around 2007-8, and it is already starting to have problems. I say "already" because of how much we paid for it; I really thought it would hold up for more than just a few years. Sorely disappointed. Loved it until just recently. We took it to the doctor, and with what we would spend fixing it, a new machine might be a smarter choice.

I know many people love their Dyson vacuums, but I'm an allergy sufferer and cannot imagine having (read: emptying) a bagless unit. I do love the HEPA filter on the Simplicity. I have also gotten used to the canister-style for doing stairs and getting into smaller spaces.

If you love your vacuum, please share the brand and model.

I have heard that Electrolux isn't made as well as it used to be since it was bought out by another company. True?
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Re: Do you love your vacuum?

Postby Maelyn » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:40 pm

We have a Kirby and have had it since just before Keefe was born. I still love the unit. The sales guy tried to sell us a new one but really ours does just as well now as it did 11 years ago. It has the HEPA filtered bags too.

They are pricey but given how long they seem to last, worth it IMO.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby mobetsy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Yes! I have a Miele canister, and every single time I use it I think about how much I love it...would be even better if I used it more often :roll: We have had it maybe 6 years and it still works perfectly; outstanding suction, lightweight, maneuverable, and pretty quietl At the time, I choked on the price, but it has been worth it...and I don't say that about many expensive items (leather shoes, a good dishwasher, and excellent kitchen shears come to mind)!

The one downside is that we have one of the smaller versions and the bag fills up fairly quickly; of course, we have a Lab and two cats, so their shedding is major cause of that. If I were doing it again, I might get a bigger one. I do empty my bags several times before dumping them, which is super messy and not something you don't want a Dyson either. However, I just found bags on Amazon at a way better price--a box of 24 for not much more than I was paying for 12--so that is going to help a lot.

My favorite feature, available on many types of vacuums: self-winding cord.

A few more notes: the model I have, the Antares, is no longer available, but it looks like the Onyx is the equivalent. Both use a FJM bag, which is what I wish were bigger. We have only hard floors plus a few small rugs, soII didn't care about power attachments. I bought online from Central Vacuum Store and they were really good; there was a problem with the shipping and they worked hard to resolve it quickly and threw in two extra boxes of bags as an apology.
mobetsy

Postby carseatmom » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:56 pm

I've had my Dyson since about 6mo post buying our house and we will be in it 11 years in November. I too am a huge allergy sufferer (sitting her with a box of tissues right now cause I'm worst in the fall!) and I really don't have any issues dumping my canister. I do it into a big trash can and just step back. You don't have to touch anything. Once in a while I'll pull the filter out and clean it and I clean the brush here and there, and that's about it.

In 2004 42,800 people died, and 2,757,000 people were seriously injured
in car crashes. Don't think it can't happen to you! Always where a seat belt
and correctly use car seats and booster seats for children.
carseatmom

Postby wanda » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:00 am

I hate hearing this because I have a Riccar which is the simplicity cousin.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Return to Alice's Restaurant