What TV shows do you watch?

What TV shows do you watch?

Postby cathie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 am

The Emmy's last night were saying it's a "golden age" of TV, but I never watch anymore.

I used to love to watch sitcoms, but everything is so dramatic and depressing these days and just not what I want to relax to... DH watches Breaking Bad but I find it too messed up. Shows I liked in the past: Scrubs, 30 Rock, Will & Grace, Friends, Frazier, Seinfeld... and going way back Family Ties, Different Strokes and Three's Company.

So, what shows do you like? And are there any good sitcoms out there these days? I want mindless entertainment for laundry folding where I don't have to follow a plot LOL.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Re: What TV shows do you watch?

Postby JulieB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 am

Breaking Bad (so sad it is coming to an end!), Mad Men, Modern Family, Bachelor series, HGTV, the news and news shows like 20/20. That is about it!

Have you tried Modern Family? It is the only sitcom I have liked in a very long time (like since Friends).
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby holliejjj » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Dexter, Orange is the New Black and Walking Dead
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine
holliejjj

Postby RhondaS » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Cathie, I'm with you. There just isn't much I care to watch. My mindless tv is usually HGTV, Food Network, TLC and History. I like Chopped, Pawn Star (Ryan has a friend working on the production end of that show), American Pickers, Criminal Minds and Law & Order. But those are all on so often, I never know if I'm watching new or old versions unless I've seen them before. There are no sitcoms at all.

I used to watch Once Upon A Time, but quit last year. I am going to try it again this year and see if it's improved. And I want to try a new one tonight, The Blacklist. Every fall I think there are a ton of good shows coming on, but in truth, none of them stick with me very long.
RhondaS

Postby Tara » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:20 pm

I don't watch much tv, but do enjoy Modern Family and Big Bang Theory when I catch them.
Tara
Tara

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife - both via Netflix
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:24 am

Linda wrote:Downton Abbey and Call the Midwife - both via Netflix

I like those. Haven't seen all of Call the Midwife, but what I did I liked. I tend to watch shows that you don't have a major story line to follow - a lot of procedurals like Law & Order, CSI and NCIS. I can catch one here and there and never worry about figuring out what is going on. Ian has been into shows like Love it or List it or House Hunters, so I've been watching those sometimes with him.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Tammy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 am

I like TV, just not whatever is on at the moment. Not only do I watch most shows via Netflix, but I'm usually a few seasons behind everyone else. I like to think of myself as working at my own pace. :grin:

Exceptions are The Big Bang Theory, NCIS Los Angeles, and The Walking Dead. I DVR Criminal Minds, but I'm usually a few weeks behind on that one. Have to be in the right mood to watch it, and I still won't let Alec see it at 14.

Over the summer I watched Who Do You Think You Are? on TLC. Love that.

We watched The Black List the other night and really liked it, but I was instantly left wanting more. Perhaps that's why I prefer to watch everything a few seasons behind. I might not be "in the know" when something is popular, but I still get my instant gratification when I get around to it.

I'm looking forward to Michael J. Fox's show. Hoping it's good. Love him, too.

I have big plans of watching Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, and Mad Men someday, but so far still haven't gotten around to them.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Esther » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 am

I have a few favorites I will watch - Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, True Blood (but this last season pretty much sucked, no pun intended), Survivor, the Voice, 19 kids and counting (yes my taste is quite diverse), Haunted Collector, and my new favorite fall show is Sleepy Hollow. Oh, also I like the Vampire Diaries!

I never watched Big Bang theory from when it started, but I will catch it now and then and re-runs and it is funny.

Edited to add, I am also thoroughly enjoying Showtime's "White Queen" series. I have read all the books (Philippa Gregory) re: King Edward IV and his wife Queen Elizabeth and the time of the War of the Roses.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Esmeralda » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:35 am

I don't watch a lot of TV, probably because it is hard to wrest the remote away from the guys watching sports, sports, sports.

I love Modern Family, and also The Middle. Sometimes I feel as if my children have been cast in that show. Seriously, Joseph is so Axel and Emma can be Sue. I even think my stepson Logan has some Brick tendencies! I also watch Survivor and The Amazing Race.

Esther, I love Phillipa Gregory's books, too. I just finished her most recent a few weeks ago.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby cathie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks, lots of good ideas here! I'm going to give TV another chance.

And FWIW, I seem to be the only person in America that didn't like Breaking Bad!
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Tina » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm

I catch shows when I can due to lack of time. I do enjoy some shows like The Voice and Big Brother, and also Big Bang Theory and New Girl. Anything that doesn't require a large investment of my time. Most of the time I'm in the kitchen, so HGTV or TCL are usually on when I'm in there. I love the Househunter shows.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Tammy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:24 am

Cathie, I have felt like the only person who didn't like Dexter, so you're not alone in that way. I just don't have the stomach for things that are too violent... I liked The Sopranos, but it was tough for me at times.

Tina, I have also added New Girl to my list to watch via Netflix "when I have more time" (my famous last words). Someday.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby erin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

cathie wrote:Thanks, lots of good ideas here! I'm going to give TV another chance.

And FWIW, I seem to be the only person in America that didn't like Breaking Bad!

I'm torn on breaking bad. I've gotten through most of season 2 and really it just reminds me of how horrible meth users are and I get angry with my mother. Not a good reaction to Tv Right?
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Esmeralda » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:03 am

Cathie, not a Breaking Bad person either.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Heba » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:06 am

Not in America, but I've never heard of Breaking Bad.
Shows we do watch are:
- The Big Bang Theory
- Criminal Minds (Tammy I don't let my teen watch it either, although I've made a few exceptions for less-disturbing episodes and she has liked them)
- Dr Who
- Sherlock (I cannot tell you how badly my family wants November to come so we can see the resolution of series two's cliff-hanger.
Heba

Postby Maelyn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:51 am

We watch Dr Who (BBC), Downton Abbey, Bones, NCIS, and we just started on Agents of SHIELD which is turning out to be very funny if you've seen the Marvel movies over the last several years.

But all of that is watched either on HULU or Netflix or PBS/NBC/CBS online. We are never home to watch at the "normal" times so we catch up on Fridays.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Postby Ashley Anne » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 am

I like happy shows. Love "Modern Family" and I also like the new show "Trophy Wife" (good show, awful title). In both, there are no "bad guys" and the families love each other and it still manages to be funny! I also like "the Voice": again, the people are all nice!

Hugs,
AA
Ashley Anne, mom to Natalie (11), Lindsay (9), and Kate (8)
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.
Ashley Anne

Postby erin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Ashley Anne wrote:I like happy shows. Love "Modern Family" and I also like the new show "Trophy Wife" (good show, awful title). In both, there are no "bad guys" and the families love each other and it still manages to be funny! I also like "the Voice": again, the people are all nice!

Hugs,
AA

All those shows are great. Nice people being funny.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Andrea040805 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 am

I think I have a thing for awkward characters. I LOVE New Girl. And Big Bang Theory. Portlandia is in the top three too. That said, I am way too involved in Real Housewives of Atlanta. I seriously love that show.

Most of the time, however, I watch whatever the family is watching. Art loves all the gold shows. and the Alaska shows. And the commercial fishing shows. UGH. I can only handle so much.

Other than that, hubs and I watch House Hunters International all the time. I think we are serial pipe dreamers.
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Next

Return to Alice's Restaurant