Do you still have your wedding dress?

Do you still have your wedding dress?

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:22 pm

Since we just had our 25th anniversary AND the dress box is next to where we store the suitcases that I just put back after our long weekend away....Do you still have your wedding dress? Did you preserve it or what did you do with it?

I have lugged around this dress in a box for 25 years now. I have all boys so what should I do with it? I'm thinking that when my sons get married, maybe cut something from it to give to their brides???? Thoughts?
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Re: Do you still have your wedding dress?

Postby cathie » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Yes, I do! Not sure what I'd do if I only had boys... but mine has been in the family for awhile. It would probably go to a cousin (and may go that way soon since I have three girl cousins in their early 20s)

My wedding dress was worn by my grandma on her wedding day in 1938, then my mom on her wedding date in 1969, two of my aunts (1978, 1986) and then me in 1997. I hope, hope, hope dd will get to wear it one day!

There were many alterations over the years -- the long train is gone and the neckline got shorter, but basically it is the same classic dress. It has long sleeves that came down to a point at my wrist. I loved feeling so elegant.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby erin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 pm

I still have mine. Almost threw it away when we moved. I have no space or reason to keep it.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Esther » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes I have mine, although it's not a dress, it's a tea length suit (complete with peplum, lace, poofy shoulders and beading). And I was almost devastated with this latest move b/c I could NOT find it as I unpacked. I'm not an overtly sentimental type person AT ALL, but this just about did me in, if it was lost. Not that I expect anyone to ever wear it either, having 3 boys, but just because it meant so much to me. For some reason the movers packed it in a really strange box, with stuffed animals. It was the very last box I had to unpack. Was not happy because they just laid it on the bottom of the box and put all sorts of crap on top of it. I don't have it specially preserved or anything.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Andrea040805 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:33 pm

I rented my dress and totally regret it. I am sure my girls wouldn't have worn such a snow-beasty dress, but they have both asked me if they could see it/try it on, etc. When my sister got married last Oct., she took some of the blue satin ribbon my grandmother sewed into the inside hem of my mothers dress, had it cut into a heart, and had it sewn into the inside of her dress, near her heart. I thought it was a neat way to use my mother's dress, which wouldn't have been used otherwise.
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Postby JulieB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm

I still have my wedding dress. My mother had it preserved so it is in a sealed box. No daughters but I am glad I still have it!
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Mine is preserved in a box. It's funny, but I have absolutely no attachment to the dress. Maybe if something happened to it I would, but right now it's just something else that takes up space. I found a group that takes old wedding dresses, but mine is too old to be of use to them. Guess I'll just keep hanging on to it.

WorkingMomx3

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:56 am

I still have mine. We have the space for it and it is out of the way, so doesn't bother me. Tr only reason I am hanging on to it is in case Emma would want to wear it one day. I highly doubt but, but that is why it has moved multiple times in 20 years. When she declares no use for it, it is gone.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby Tina » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 am

I had my gown and veil preserved. They're in a box and I haven't seen them or opened it up since 1991. With having boys I too was contemplating getting rid of it. Instead I've decided to hang onto it and thought it might be nice to have it cut up and made into a baptismal gown if the boys ever have children.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Tammy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:28 am

Tina wrote:Instead I've decided to hang onto it and thought it might be nice to have it cut up and made into a baptismal gown if the boys ever have children.

This is what I was going to suggest -- it's a nice way to pass it down if no one else wants to use it as a gown again.

I still have mine. Because it has a lot of beading, none of the preservation companies would guarantee that it wouldn't be hurt going that route. I opted to keep it in my own box, wrapped in a white cotton sheet to prevent yellowing over the years (it's been 19 so far), and it still looks just like it did on the day I wore it. I keep it, because it means something to me. If Alec ever has a daughter, she would be welcome to it if she wanted it, but I wouldn't pressure her... I know I wouldn't have wanted to wear my mom's dress (just not my taste), but I would have LOVED to have had my grandmother's. It was actually very similar in style to the one I chose, but she cut it up to make my mom a life-size bride doll when she was a little girl. Part of me thinks that's a wonderful story, and part of me is always a little sad when I think about it.

Someone should create a "Free Cycle" kind of thing for women who aren't terribly sentimental about their dresses, where they could gift them to soon-to-be brides who would put them to good use.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby mobetsy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 am

Like many of you, mine is in a sealed box, as it has been since I had it cleaned after our wedding. No clue what I want to do with it, but I don't want to get rid of it.l.though I sometimes look at that closet space longingly. If I knew it could go to a bride in need, I would probably be happy with that. Otherwise, maybe it will become a dress up outfit for granddaughters someday (we already have a family baptismal gown...)!
mobetsy

Postby Linda » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:47 pm

I have the dresses I wore for my civil wedding and my convalidation (church). Neither was a traditional wedding dress. I'll probably never fit in the wedding dress again - it was a tea-length, long-sleeve cream dress with buttons all up the front - but while I could wear my convalidation dress, I haven't for some reason - it's a silver sheath dress with beaded overjacket.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:56 am

I did find this group - Brides Against Breast Cancer - but they only take gowns from 2009 and later. :(

WorkingMomx3

Postby Sue » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:30 pm

High school theater departments would likely love wedding dresses if you're really ready to get rid of them for good.
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby Cheryl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:07 pm

I still have mine preserved in a box. Though at 5 FT 2 1/2,inches, I suspect it will be too short for my dd's. I won't pressure them.
Cheryl

Postby Mel in Indy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am

I also have mine preserved in a box after 24 years. I know Emily will never wear it being the 1980 style poofy type and I really would like to take it out of the box and "see" it KWIM.
Mel in Indy, Mom to Aaron 20, Emily 16
Mel in Indy

Postby April » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:04 pm

No,. Mine was borrowed from a friend and I had it cleaned and she preserved it. I honestly don't miss it,

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby Maelyn » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:29 am

I think so. It was preserved in a box and I'm sure moved with us from MN but I have no idea where it might be right now. Probably the disaster we call a garage. With three boys I doubt any of them will wear it ;) Maybe a grand-daughter at some point.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!
Maelyn

Return to Alice's Restaurant