What do you think about R movies in middle school?

What do you think about R movies in middle school?

Postby cathie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:23 pm

DD came home with a permission slip the other day "mom, you are not going to like this but it means a lot to me for you to sign it" so I knew it was going to be good LOL. Basically her social studies teacher wants to show three R rated movies in class this year -- Last of the Mohicans, The Patriot, and Glory. I know they are good movies but as my dd predicted, I'm ticked and considering writing a letter to the school (I did sign the slip). It bothers me on so many levels -- first off, that they are spending so much class time watching Hollywood movies instead of teaching (classes are 45 minutes, so that's 3 classes per movies), and that it sends a message that "R" is OK because my teacher says so, and that there is no other creative ways to get them to "understand the periods we are studying," and ESPECIALLY because what teen wants to be singled out as the *only* teen whose parents didn't sign the form. Total "peer pressure" to give in and not make a big deal about it since they are so image conscious at this age (no way does dd really want to see these movies, but no way she'd admit that to her friends). I wish they would just recommend them to parents as helpful to watch outside of class, so we could make our own decision about whether they are appropriate for our child (I admit I might watch one with her but also have a good discussion about how Hollywood portrays history and what makes a good story and why we need to be skeptical of our biases in history...)

So, am I overreacting or would you send a letter?
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Re: What do you think about R movies in middle school?

Postby Esther » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Middle school? Seriously??

I think that's pushing it, to be honest. When my middle son was a senior in high school, we had to sign a permission slip for him to watch Argo, the movie about the Iran hostage crisis, for AP Gov't. I cannot imagine that schools would actually ask for an R rated movie to be shown to middle school children who are what, 12, 13 years old??

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Tina » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 pm

...duplicate...
Last edited by Tina on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby Tina » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:56 pm

Same for Sean's 8th grade class. They watched Last of the Mohicans and Glory. We didn't have a problem with him seeing either one (in fact last year we bought him the Mohican movie for Christmas because he enjoyed it so much.) The reason they are rated R is because they are war movies and naturally there is violence. All that said, Sean is a HUGE history buff but I can see most girls not being interested in war movies (so her friends probably feel the same way she does.) Sean's teacher stopped the movie several times to discuss the story, and also to warn them if a particular bad scene was coming up.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby erin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 am

I'd have no problem with it all. I'm amazed at how much more engaged kids get when they'd joy seeing a movie that relates to the subject matter.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby Tammy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:36 am

Well, Alec has only been out of middle school a short time, but I would have been fine with any one of those movies by seventh grade or eighth grade (not fifth or sixth, as is included in our local middle school). At the same time, I think screening all three movies is relying a bit too much on props. I also think that it is unreasonable to ask parents to make an exception to their rules on ratings not just once but three times. Some parents will not be okay making that exception at all, and their kids will end up feeling left out -- not just once, but three times. I would rather a teacher assign an historical novel about the time period than screen movies anyway.
Last edited by Tammy on Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby JulieB » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:59 pm

I would not be happy at all for all the points you brought up! Especially if class is only 45 minutes ... with watching 3 Rated R movies through out the school year, that is 9 days of school watching Hollywood movies! I think the idea of the teacher suggesting students might watch them at home with their parents is a good alternative.

There is no way our middle school would okay this. Our school district policy for middle school is they can only pay rated G movies without a permission slip. Even PG have to have permission slip.
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby April » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:46 pm

My son watched Glory last year as part of Homeschooling. Honestly, I think I would feel the same way you do about losing such valuable time in public school.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby wanda » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:50 am

While the movies may be historically relevant, I wouldn't like it. The loss of class time is an issue but, more than that, these kids are still pretty immature. Let's use Courtney as an example - she had phobias. Movies like that would have given her nightmares and for me to decline would have singled her out, essentially creating unnecessary stress at home. They have guidelines for a reason.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Lora » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:43 am

I wouldn't have liked it either. If the teacher wanted the kids to watch these, perhaps he should have given the kids the opportunity to come in after school to do it and NOT had it be for credit. Brandon as I recall has only had one R movie (permission slip required) and it was in high school for the one about Rawanda. Very upsetting movie, but important to know genocide can and does happen. His high school has the block schedule so each class is like 75 minutes long so at least it didn't take up days to see it. For his AP political science (government and comparative politics), one of the teachers hosted movie nights with movies about government but it was NOT for credit. He just felt they were good movies about the subject of the class and wanted to share them with kids who were interested and had time.
ImageImage
Lora Mom to
Brandon 20 and Brittany 16
Lora

Return to Alice's Restaurant