How many TV's and Where?

Re: How many TV's and Where?

Postby Esther » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Added to say, we did recycle a couple old PC's and an old hand me down MAC from my BIL that never even worked... I insisted we do it before we moved, and we bought them into best buy. My husband still has his cassette tape collection (even those mix tapes he made) from the 1980's. And a pair of motorcycle boots he got when he was stationed in Korea in the 80's... that in all the years we have known each other (24) he has NEVER not EVER once worn. He holds on to everything!! The kids did appreciate it when it came to theme parties and decade days (ie. 70's day, 80's day)

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby mobetsy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:02 pm

We have lots of ways to recycle old TVs, but that proliferation of options has really been in the last two years or so. Twice a year you can out them out for the trash collection large item pick up, or you can call them to schedule it (I think we get two of those a year). Schools and church groups have e-waste drives as fundraisers; these are. Nice because you have to get it in your car, but you just drive up and they take it all out. The county and many of its component cities have regular collections, with the same drive through convenience. I even noticed the other day that a thrift store we support has started collecting e-waste also. It is very convenient!

None of that, however, address the issue Esther brings up, which is definitely one of my less helpful traits: if it still works (or can be used, or whatever), why would I get rid of it??
mobetsy

Postby Esther » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 pm

I think my husband is sure that cassette tapes will someday be a collectible item! Even those old maxell mix tapes! :P

I have to say there is some point to hanging onto stuff, because I've noticed some things just aren't as well made nowadays. Case in point, our little hand mixer, got it for a wedding gift in 1990. It worked for almost 23 years, perfectly. It shorted out last spring and had to get it replaced with something similar. The dang beaters it came with are about 1/4th the width -- really almost just wires - vs. thicker sturdier metal beaters. I don't know how long it will last. Just look at irons too, almost all of them are made of all plastic with hardly any metal anymore.

We did also get rid of our old washer and dryer before we moved, since our new home came with all new appliances. I found a coworker whose son that was getting divorced, needed a set and didn't care that they were over 10-15 years old, as long as they worked. It's hard to get rid of old appliances!!

Oh, and this is slightly off topic, but remember our old piano that I was trying to offload before we moved? Couldn't find anyone or any donation place or freecycle place to take it off our hands, but we offered it to the family that bought the house and they said yes! So it's still in our old house. So glad I didn't have to pay someone $250 to come haul it off to be dumped.

Esther

Postby Esmeralda » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 pm

I had one until I married Eric! But now we have four. He is big into TV. we have one in the great one, one downstairs strictly for gaming, one in the basement for the kids, and my one and only TV is in our bedroom (and it almost never gets used unless Emma and I want to watch w movie and we can't figure out how to watch it on the family room TV).

Les, my ex and I both agreed the kids would never have a TV in their room. Well, we weren't even divorced 5 minutes before he had one in both of their bedrooms. He is the true Disney Dad. I have held firm and they are not getting one in their rooms, although they have never asked. Joseph likes to hang out where Eric and I are!
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!
Esmeralda

Postby JulieB » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am

Speaking of having a hard time getting rid of things ... I had to *pay* Salvation Army to take away a sofa. We tried selling it on Craig's List for basically free and had no takers. Offered it to our cleaning lady and our gardner ... nope! It wasn't that bad! It was 10 year old denim sofa. Called Salvation Army .. sure we can come get it! Sure we can carry it down a flight of stairs! Two big burly guys get to our house and say .. oh, no..we can't carry it down the stairs. I asked if they could do it for $20 ... that did the trick! So we had to pay to get rid of the darn sofa! That really wasn't that bad looking or that bad in shape!
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby Esther » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:10 am

Julie, I had to throw away an old loveseat, an old sofa, and two chairs because you cannot donate furniture that has any stains or defects. We freecycled some stuff that people did take from our curb on trash pick up day (an old desk and chair) but the old sofa/loveseat/chairs, nobody wanted. St vincent de paul came and picked up our old dining room set but when they saw there was a small stain on a loveseat, they said they can't take it.

Esther

Postby Esther » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 am

one other story about getting rid of stuff... When we lived in Green Bay, we had a gas dryer, had to buy it new and so we used it for exactly 2.5 years, and then moved to PA in 2004. Only electric dryer hook up again, so the basically brand new gas dryer sat in our garage for 9 years. I tried also desperately to give it away, and almost had a taker, someone that was renting houses and needed one but he never came to pick it up. Husband even tried to find a place to drop it off on one of his weekend trips home, nobody will take appliances and nobody seemed to want a gas dryer. When we moved here, the truck driver for the moving company told us he would load it on the truck for us, and then when we unpacked here, he would take it back and give it away to someone who needed it. So it made a whole trip down to Georgia, then Texas, then back up to PA to be finally given away. It was in perfect shape, just dusty!

We have a gas dryer here, but it's a brand new front loader that came with the house. I love gas appliances, they are so much more efficient than electric!

Esther

Postby April » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:57 pm

No tvs in our bedrooms either.

We have 3. One in the living room, one in the sun room, and one in the basement. All have cable and Netflix.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:38 am

Interesting about getting rid of furniture. I have never had a problem getting rid of furniture on freecylcle or in our local advertisement paper, The Merchandiser. I've gotten rid of couch/loveseat set and old mattresses/bedframes. Right now we have our old leather set in the basement, along with the other couch/loveseat in our basement. Colin is taking it when he graduates in December.

If you have a college campus, advertise your stuff there in August, before school starts and as students are moving back to campus. You can usually get rid of stuff then.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Postby Andrea040805 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:37 am

Two, but we only use one.

We have one in the living room that has cable/wii/netflix and one in our room that only has a DVD player hooked up to it. We only use that one if we want to watch something that we dont want the kiddos watching. Our bedroom then becomes the kids' movie room.
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Previous

Return to Alice's Restaurant