How many TV's and Where?

How many TV's and Where?

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:12 am

Since it's been a bit quiet here, I thought I would ask a sort of trivia question. How many TVs do you own and where are they?

We have 4.
1. In the family room for all to use. No gaming systems/computer hooked up to it.
2. In our bedroom for DH. He goes to sleep with the tv on - usually The Weather Channel.
3. In the basement - it's not hooked up to cable or anything. It's only used for the boy's gaming - xbox 360, Wii and Playstation (latter 2 seldom used)
4. In the basement, waiting for me to remember when the next electronic recycling is to get rid if it. It still works, but it's from 1992 and is a BIG sucker (but not as big as #3 that DH bought in 1998 'cuz he wanted a bigger TV to watch his beloved Broncos in the Super Bowl).
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!
WorkingMomx3

Re: How many TV's and Where?

Postby JulieB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:58 am

We have 6. DH is into his TV.s

We have one in the living room for regular TV watching.
We have one outside in the outdoor living area.
We have one in our bedroom
We have one upstairs in a loft area for the boys' gaming (Wii and xbox)
We have a screen/projector in the media room
Oldest DS has a TV in his room but it is only for gaming (PS3).. doesn't have TV reception.
Brooks~17, Parker~15, Hunter~11, Carter~7 ... boys' ages are correct but picture is 3 years old! They have grown several inches!! :)
JulieB

Postby Tammy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:03 pm

We have four:

- One in the living room
- One in our family room
- One in our sun room (which you can also see if you are in the kitchen at the sink)
- One in my office

The one in my office is a smart TV, which was bought to serve as a second computer monitor with a wireless keyboard, but I hardly ever use it that way. It's very cool, but I usually prefer my laptop. Instead I tend to use that TV for research (viewing documentaries, etc.) when I'm working ardently or as background noise when I'm doing busy work like bills.

All four have Blu-ray players that stream, which is what we do most of the time these days. The TV in the living room has a DVR, which we also use quite a bit. The only thing I tend to watch in real time lately is the news.

So far we have managed to keep televisions out of our bedrooms, and Alec hasn't really fought us on it.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby Tina » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Depending on time of year - 5-7

Kitchen (so I can watch cooking shows while I'm cooking, LOL)
Living room
Family room (gaming system hooked up)
Our bedroom
Sean's bedroom
3-Season room (weather permitting)
Brett's bedroom (gaming system hooked up) but he takes it to school with him 9 months/year
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby erin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:50 pm

5, my bedroom, each of the boys bedroom except Shane's and the living room. We actually have all of those and 3 more tv's that I will be selling in a yard sale or taking to the electronics recycling. The tv's in the older boys rooms all have video games hooked up to them.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image
erin

Postby mobetsy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:13 pm

We have 2: one in our family room with rabbit ears, a TIVO box, and assorted game systems; the other in our bedroom, with a Roku box and DVD player.

We cancelled our cable about 9 mos ago, shifting to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a Roku box, and we have barely missed it. We have, however, enjoyed all that extra money in our bank account; even though we only had basic service, we are saving close to $90/month without it, minus $14 for the two subscription services.
mobetsy

Postby Esther » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Let's see... 2 large flat screens, one in the family room and one in the game room, 2 old Tv's in each of the 2 bedrooms that Ryan and Danny use, and then an old one in our bedroom that is just hooked up to a DVD player. So 5?

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 am

odd one out here.

We have ONE in the living room. It has no TV reception but is hooked up to a Wii and a DVD/blue-ray player and we can stream Netflix though it.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image
Linda

Postby cathie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:29 am

Interesting! We've always just had one, but now we have two since we bought a flat screen for the living room so our old TV has become a Wii gaming/Netflix TV in the playroom.

The only person that watches TV here is DH and that's for sports. The kids & I sometimes watch movies. I can't seem to find any shows that I can get into. I used to watch Friday Night Lights, and before that I watched a lot of those 90s/early 2000s sitcoms like Friends, Frazier, The Office, Scrubs etc. I can't follow shows that you have to know the plot over several weeks because I'm always missing episodes and it seems like that's the trend right now...
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby CarolC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am

We have two -- one in the upstairs Family Room/Bonus Room and one downstairs in the Living Room. We didn't hook up cable in our bedroom when we moved into our home four years ago, and I haven't missed it. Hannah had a TV in her room for a little while, but she unhooked it when she rearranged her room a few years ago.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
CarolC

Postby RhondaS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 am

We have 5 - one in the living room, one in a spare room/den, one in our room, and 2 in the basement, one with the gaming system hooked up, and a second one we were given that Ben uses to listen to ESPN while gaming.

We do have cable, but no DVR or subscription services. And amazingly, the only channels we get are ESPN and Fox Soccer, lol! :roll:
RhondaS

Postby Tammy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:09 am

RhondaS wrote:And amazingly, the only channels we get are ESPN and Fox Soccer, lol! :roll:

This brought back memories for me, Rhonda. When Alec was younger, we set our cable box to always come on to Fox Soccer -- 1) because he loved the sport so much and 2) because I never had to worry about something inappropriate being on the last channel we watched when he switched it on later. LOL I found myself turning on the TV to watch the news and getting into game after game, especially the beach soccer.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Tammy

Postby wanda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 am

Whew, there for a bit I thought I was going to be odd man out. Some of you have a ton of tv's! We have two at home. One in the great room and one in what used to be the "game" room, a spare bedroom set up as a den for the kids. Needless to say, the game room one is seldom used.

The great room tv has a DVR and is a flatscreen, the first one we have owned. I bought it with my not smoking money about two years ago! We always seem to be last to buy when it comes to new technology.

I never allowed the kids to have tv's in their bedrooms. Just a rule I had.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby mobetsy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Wanda, I love hearing that you bought that flat screen with your not smoking money! That's the healthiest reason for a tv that I have ever heard...good for you!
mobetsy

Postby Lesley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

One 32" tube-type TV in the living room - it was given to us when my BFF got a new flatscreen. We do have cable. And the old 19" tube-type TV in the basement that I haven't yet decided whether to recycle or hook up to the DVD/VCR player so I can watch while I'm on the treadmill.
Lesley

Postby Esther » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I never allowed the kids to have tv's in their bedrooms. Just a rule I had.

I hear ya Wanda, and I'll let you know all know why we let this rule slide. 1) old tv's. You can't get rid of them. You can't throw them out. You have to wait for that one day a year (or 2 if you're lucky) when your town/city will let you recycle them. The kids all each of one of our old old TVs. One has got to be close to 20 years old. None of them have fancy flat screens. 2) I'll admit, our rules softened with the 3rd. And 2nd. Eh, you give on somethings. When we moved here, and bought new furniture for the family room, the suite I picked came with a free flat screen TV. So now we have 2 flat screens. And still all our old TVs.

Esther

Postby Sue » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Best Buy recycles old TVs (and a lot of other stuff) for free if you drag it in to the store (or they'll come get it if you buy a new one from them.)

http://www.bestbuy.com/recycle

Whoops! Didn't mean to post that yet ... but if you aren't aware and do want to get rid of some of those old boxy TVs, Best Buy is the place to do it for free and relatively minor hassle - since you still have to get it there.

When they first started the program here as a test, you had to pay $10 to recycle a TV, but they gave you a $10 gift card - so it was free, sort of. I had my son drag a couple over with $20 in cash and let him keep the gift cards - it was worth it for me to not have to do it!
Mom to DS24, DS22, DD20, DS19
Sue

Postby wanda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 pm

mobetsy wrote:Wanda, I love hearing that you bought that flat screen with your not smoking money! That's the healthiest reason for a tv that I have ever heard...good for you!

:D It was a "splurge" and that's how I spend my not smoking money....things I wouldn't usually purchase. Our old tv was working just fine and I would have kept it until it died - perfect splurge.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon
wanda

Postby Lesley » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 am

In VT recycling electronics is mandatory and our trash depot will take electronics for free.

I'm with you Wanda - no TV in kids bedrooms. Irks the heck out of me that Molly's father allows it, when that was one thing we both agreed on years ago. Guess the GF has the final say.
Lesley

Postby Esther » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Sue, you don't understand my husband, the old TVs all work. So why get rid of them? It's not like we're desperate to unload them. Even I wanted to keep our old square 32" (super chunky and huge) in our TV armoire in our bedroom, so we can watch movies and such. We don't have a cable box hooked up to it, just a DVD player.

Esther

Next

Return to Alice's Restaurant