Keratosis Pilaris

Keratosis Pilaris

Postby April » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:31 pm

My daughter was just diagnosed with this skin condition. I am a bit frustrated to learn there isn't much we can do for it. Anyone affected by this, either yourself or someone you know? Is there any chance it could be helped with a change of diet? We suspect food allergies for other reasons, possibly dairy and/or gluten.

** Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same**

~~The Fray

April, Mom to Alex and Haley, 14
and Jory, 26, big brother extraordinaire

April

Location: Upstate NY, where the wings are red and the hots are white

Re: Keratosis Pilaris

Postby Esther » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:58 am

Danny has this, on his arms and trunk. It's not really a big deal, yes his skin has bumps on it but it doesn't bother him. My nephew has it as well, and I have it to a certain extent on my upper arms and thighs. It's very common I believe. We don't do anything for it.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby mobetsy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 am

I didn't know what this was, so I just looked it up...and it is something I have had as long as I can remember, though it has lessened as the years have gone by. I guess if it is bothering her cosmetically then you can try skin softening and mild exfoliant approaches; I don't have any particular allergies so I can't speak to the likelihood of that possibility. I suppose it occasionally bothered me with how it felt more than looked--mine has always been primarily on my upper arms and thighs--but as Esther says, it's ultimately no big deal. I think I would be inclined to tell her it is really common, and sort of like some people having freckles and others not...just one of those things.
mobetsy

Postby April » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks, Betsy and Esther! Hers is mainly on her upper arms, chest and shoulders on to her back. It does appear to look like a red, bumpy rash, and she is a bit self-conscious of it. It is rough and grainy to the touch. We plan on keeping her lubed up with the ointment prescribed, and it should help. I guess she will learn to live with it. I was kind of hoping it was dermatitis and a reaction to something, which would be more treatable.

Did either of yours improve over the years that you remember?

~~The Fray

April

Postby Tina » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:16 pm

Sean has had a mild case of this on the backs of his upper arms for many years. I tell him to put lotion on it, but I doubt that he does. I was looking for additional information and found a few interesting facts:

- It has been commonly seen in twins.
- Overall, diet does not seem to affect KP. Vitamin A deficiency may cause symptoms similar to KP, but it's not a known cause of KP.

I also read that it's typically worse in the winter (dry) months. I wonder if the pool chlorine is giving her a flare up..JAT.

Some online have recommended coconut oil.
Lucky Mom to Brett [12/6/93] and Sean [11/1/99]

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It's whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR
Tina

Postby April » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Tina, I did read that about twins. Interesting, but Alex does not have it. I wonder too about the chlorine, and if it has given her a flare-up.

~~The Fray

April

Postby cathie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:35 pm

I also looked it up, and I also had it on my upper arms as a kid. I don't have it any more. I think it is just a nuisance thing, it was never a big deal - just a little like sandpaper. I don't even remember when it went away but I don't have it anymore.
Cathie

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!
cathie

Postby Cheryl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

I always suggest lac-hydrin for my patients. Makes a big difference
Cheryl

Postby Esther » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Danny's occasionally gets a little red but being a boy, he really doesn't care nor is he self-conscious. He has all the way down both arms, back and chest. Mine is really nbd.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)
Esther

Postby mobetsy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Mine has decreased over the years; the fact that I can't really tell you when is an indicator of my getting used to it.

I don't know about where you are, but as far as swimwear goes around here, a lot of girls (and guys) wear rash guards; not as cute as a bikini, but if she is really self conscious in a swim suit, that would cover it up without looking weird...and be good for her future health as well! You could probably help her come up with ideas for other times as well. Not saying she needs to cover it, but if she would feel better doing so, there are stylish options, and in time it will bother her less. Also, it almost certainly is less obvious/not noticeable to everyone else; not easy to convince someone of that, but you can at least put the idea in her mind and maybe give some examples from your own life.
mobetsy

Postby Andrea040805 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:45 pm

my neighbor has it and swears by coconut oil, both internally and externally. :)
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper
Andrea040805

Return to Alice's Restaurant