Doing laundry for kids

Doing laundry for kids

Postby cathie » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:25 am

What age did your kids start doing their own laundry? Or do they?

DD Oct 99, DS1 Nov 02, and DS2 Apr 08!

Re: Doing laundry for kids

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 am

it's varied - Simon started younger than Cathleen because he was physically bigger sooner and was able to reach the bottom of the washer at a younger age.

I don't have them do their own clothes specifically though - I have them help with the laundry in general so they might throw their load in the washer and then either hang or put in the dryer the load that was already washed and then fold the load that is now dry.
Linda, mum to Simon 23, Cathleen 14, Annabelle 8 and our little saints, John-Paul and Benedict

Image Image

Postby erin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 am

By 10 all had to wash, dry and put away their own clothes. If you don't wash clothes, you have nothing clean to wear.
Mom to Vinny 19 Victor 16 Jacob 16 and Shane 6 Image

Postby holliejjj » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:55 pm

about 10 here as well. But bf's son is son behind in maturity and has behavior problems, so I can't imagine him doing his laundry yet, maybe closer to 12 for him.
Mama to: Jordan, Jenna, Juliane and Jasmine

Postby Tammy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:48 am

I still do Alec's laundry most of the time, but since he's an only child, it doesn't result in a big addition to my own loads. I do 1-2 loads a week each of sheets, towels, whites, reds, darks, and what I call "regular" colored clothes.

Alec will do towels or linens for me if I'm working on a big work deadline and need the extra help, but I don't really want him washing my other stuff yet. I had a bad incident with dh a few years back involving a red pen left in a pair of jeans. It ruined several of my favorite things -- and remarkably, none of his. I also have more stuff with special instructions (cold water only, line dry, etc.) than dh and Alec do. I don't really mind being the person who does all the laundry. I figure that I don't snowblow the driveway in the winter, and I rarely take the garbage out, so it all evens out.
Tammy, mom to Alec

Postby mobetsy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 am

15 years ago, a wise friend/mom told me that if a kid could operate a VCR, s/he could work a washing machine! Update that to an XBox, perhaps, and I still think it's true. Of course, reaching it is another matter...

The decision, then, is probably based on not whether a child is capable of doing it, but whether you want him/her to do so and how it fits with the rest of the family routine. I often do Stephen's to fill out a load I am doing of my own. He knows how to do it, but usually doesn't (and sometimes doesn't have what he wants clean as a result). Has been doing all his own since he was 12-13, and he is very attentive to any care instructions I offer.

Postby Esmeralda » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:10 pm

I do the laundry here and have no problem with it. Just this summer Joseph has been put in charge of all of his own laundry, but I still do Emma's. like Tammy, I think it all evens out somewhere and this is something I don't mind doing.
Mom to a 17 year old and 15 year old!

Postby WorkingMomx3 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 pm

My kids started at 11. Even Ian and he is much smaller than what Colin and Duncan were at that age.
Christmas 2012 - Steamboat Springs, CO
Ian (15), Duncan (17) and Colin (24)

Mothers of boys work from son up to son down!

Postby Andrea040805 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Same as Erin. By ten they could do it. Piper even earlier. That kid has been doing laundry since she was about 7.
Mama to Gavin, Trinity & Piper

Postby wanda » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am

I am the odd man out. Mine were probably in highschool before I turned laundry duties over to them. I preferred doing it myself because it meant I could sort properly and actually have a load that could be bleached, and if it wasn't in the hamper it did not get washed. Had they been doing their own I really think I would have seen a jump in both the electric and water bills. Both kids lost the right to my doing their laundry when I'd find clean clothes littering their floor, and other than sports uniforms they had to wash full loads.
9-2013 Wanda at the Grand Canyon

Postby Maelyn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:26 am

When we got a front loader.... before that none of them could reach into the bottom of the washer. They have been responsible for folding and putting them away since they were about 3 or 4 I think. Of course that now means that they are often shoved in and wrinkled. I still do each boys' choir uniforms because I'd rather do them than deal with the ironing chore after they had wrinkled them by wadding them up. But that is my choice.
"Normal" is only a setting on a Washing Machine!

Postby jane » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm

timely! in frustration at the big baskets full of all of our laundry sitting around, waiting for my girls to sort it, I moved it to their chores about 3 months ago. They are doing a good job and waiting until they have a full load. I have even seen them often do a load together that is just their laundry if they each have half a load. And I'm happy about all this! It was one chore that just needed off my plate.

Now if you all can figure out how to get them to better pick up dishes and start dinner for me, I'm all ears. I'd wanted them each in charge of dinner one night a week and that just hasn't gone over. They don't like to handle meat or the grill...

Postby Esther » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I like Betsy's answer...

I do the laundry b/c I like to do it and I'm anal about it. But the boys know how to do it. I don't even like dh doing it.

I even like to do Matt's laundry for him when he comes home.

Count me the weird one I guess! It's just one of those things I really prefer to be in control of, to make sure it is done correctly.

Mom extraordinaire to 3 boys... Ryan (20), Danny (17) and Matt (22)

Return to Alice's Restaurant